Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Congress Street Garage Development | West End

B&T article today:
http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/2...-to-kick-off-government-center-redevelopment/

(Can only be viewed for free today, so read up quickly)

According to the article, interior work in the garage relocating the ramps is already underway.

data -- I was a bit surprised that the render of this the 1st residential tower of the project which also included another of the later towers on the west side of Congress didn't show any of the cylindrical tower on the site of the part of the garage to be demolished -- perhaps it was the particular view angle

data -- I was a bit surprised that the render of this the 1st residential tower of the project which also included another of the later towers on the west side of Congress didn't show any of the cylindrical tower on the site of the part of the garage to be demolished -- perhaps it was the particular view angle

The rendering is of CBT's original master plan. The round tower is by Pelli and not sanctioned by CBT. It's also totally unclear how the round tower fits into the master plan, as it conflicts with it in multiple ways.

The building discussed in the article: is that the shortest, middle or tallest of the three buildings in the complex?

The rendering is of CBT's original master plan. The round tower is by Pelli and not sanctioned by CBT. It's also totally unclear how the round tower fits into the master plan, as it conflicts with it in multiple ways.

Yea I have no idea what we are getting here. I think we're gonna have to wait for the November presentation because I've seen at least three different variations for this project.

I don't care if it's a 480ft box. The fact that the garage work is underway, and that this is starting soon is awesome. Whatever gets that garaged demolished or temporarily masked is a win.

^ Seriously. I don't need a super tall. I don't need anything spectacular. All I need is some activation on Sudbury and New Chardon. Anything else is a bonus.

Finally getting rid of that garage. I wish the same fate for city hall but thats not going to happen.

Not sure how to post pictures, but there are two site renders that show the Pelli tower in HYM's Winthrop Square bid (pages 15 and 16 in the zip file on the BRA site below).

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/work-with-the-bra/rfps-rfqs-bids/rfp-listing-page?id=41

^Wow, nice detective work there. Here are those two images, which I believe are previosly unremarked upon:
22563321285_53e30b04f6.jpg

21940579244_c0e1e2e09f.jpg

Excellent find! How exciting. It gives a much better idea of how the Pelli tower would fit into all of this.

Will a portion of this project be built over any of the 93 tunnels or MBTA tracks?

Will a portion of this project be built over any of the 93 tunnels or MBTA tracks?

Mass -- everything is west of the main I-93 tunnels although there could be ramp-related structures in the area

There definitely are both Green and Orange Line tunnels and the Haymarket T station in the area as well

This is easily one of the most exciting projects in the area.

What's the over/under once construction kicks off in terms of time to completion of full build out?

10 years?

10 years sounds about right, but I'll still take the over.

^Wow, nice detective work there. Here are those two images, which I believe are previosly unremarked upon:
22563321285_53e30b04f6.jpg

21940579244_c0e1e2e09f.jpg

And this puppy clocks in at ... 600 feet? From a skyline perspective, that sure will look nice in that location. Very prominent from the harbor too.

I think from a pedestrian perspective this one is slam-dunk-homerun, even if the office tower is all lobby. There is plenty of new retail in the other portions to make up for that.

Not sure how to post pictures, but there are two site renders that show the Pelli tower in HYM's Winthrop Square bid (pages 15 and 16 in the zip file on the BRA site below).

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/work-with-the-bra/rfps-rfqs-bids/rfp-listing-page?id=41

Great find. Thanks so much.

All the renders from Pelli showed the tower alone on an island and were quite disorienting. It's nice to see that the tower actually fits into the complex, which appears to be contoured around it.

Before today, the Peli design was just a bonus. But now seeing it integrated, I would be disappointed if it didn't get built as is. However, I am optimistic that Hym is going to come through on all this.

I agree about the floor space on the tower. If it's all lobby, no big deal. Plenty of retail all around.

10 years for the whole thing sounds right, but I would imagine the 2 taller towers would rise sooner than later, given that they are not directly on top of the existing part of the garage.

I like this project too much.

Maybe things have changed but whenever I see a building like the Pelli all I can think is "No way this will get built in Boston"

Hopefully a page has turned and I am proven wrong.

That render made me intrigued with the placemaking opportunities for the New Chadron/Congress intersection, which is a bunch of ramps and concrete stairwells now. Does anyone know the situation with the triangular parking/Cuppacoffee parcel? Could it be developed in concert with the garage?

New renderings of the 480' res tower:

CT8lZVeUYAAHsNW.jpg:large

CT8luvhUkAE-wK0.jpg:large

Steve Adams

Pleased to see the office tower design sticking around!

EDIT:
Looks like we have new PNFs as well! Heads up, they're big

Res Tower
Office Tower

MORE EDITS:
-Office tower is 528' to last occupied floor. If the res tower is 547' as described then this is WELL over 600'. Unfortunately, exact figures aren't given here as they are for the res tower. Still designed by Pelli.
-Retail on office/res tower first floors. For office: "The building consists of 1,012,000 SF of office space including a spacious lobby that is open to the public. Additionally, retail space has been provided to activate the public realm. The retail space is expected to include a café with exterior seating, a bicycle repair shop and potentially a small retail kiosk located within the lobby"
-Res tower is 480' to last occupied floor and 547' to roof.

No time to pull renderings right now but the office tower in particular looks spectacular, if a bit wide from some angles

Last edited:

Back