Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Gov't Center Garage Redevelopment

I'd definitely like to make it to that meeting. I've never been to one before, so what should I expect?

I'd definitely like to make it to that meeting. I've never been to one before, so what should I expect?

Hard to tell on this one. Probably the people who speak up will talk about:

1) Wind
2) Shadows
3) Height
4) School
5) The city land that the developer doesn't own
6) Who the hell knows

I like the proposal but this development will stand some serious oppositions from the neighbor activists. The North End Neighborhood will be a tough sell. They might have to Chop 10 or 15 stories smaller.

Of course it will. But when proponents of height and development start thinking that way, then we truely have lost. It's one thing for the mayor to take it up the rear from residents, because those are all lost votes if he doesn't. What does Raymond have to lose? Maybe he can just say "Hey dbags, if you don't like what I got, enjoy the garage for the rest of your worthless lives."

I personally like the Aquarim Location better for major high rise.

Why not both? It's all downtown.

Why not both? It's all downtown.[/QUOTE]

AGREE 100%. It's time for the city officials and neighborhood activists to step back and let the city flourish with PRIVATE INVESTMENTS.

These developers want to make a better city not destroy neighborhoods.

Their should be some concern about Height Restrictions over shadowing neighborhoods on certain areas but this area needs a major development.

kennedy said:
TWC is more similar to the IC, IMO.

If you're going just by looks, yes. But think about what the Time Warner Center has for uses: a good-sized mall; a performing arts space designed specifically for jazz; TV production studios for CNN; office space; a hotel; and finally, condos. It's that kind of agglomeration of programs that made Van connect the TWC with this project.

[/QUOTE]

Their should be some concern about Height Restrictions over shadowing neighborhoods on certain areas but this area needs a major development.[/QUOTE]

Why can't there be a "shadow zone," an area in the city just FOR tall buildings?

^^Because some activists from the opposite side of the city will say that area will be gloomy and will become a cesspool for crimes because it is always dark there.

How much direct sunlight does a human being actually need in a day? Do these people photosynthesize? I thought all the ozone had burned off and the light was bad for you now.:confused:

People who move to the shadow zone sign a release; visitors will be given flashlights at the gate.

2818692857_b9011fa500.jpg

For the life of me, I can't understand how a sane person could look at the plans and say, "Nah, I like what we have much better." I'm not aware of a more unattractive, obtrusive structure in the city of Boston.

The developers should be thanked for their willingness to demolish such a disaster of a building.

That's a beautiful picture of such a horrible building. It will look so much better when there's a couple beautiful towers there in its place. Ahhh, 2045 is going to be a great year.

For the life of me, I can't understand how a sane person could look at the plans and say, "Nah, I like what we have much better." I'm not aware of a more unattractive, obtrusive structure in the city of Boston.

People aren't saying they like the building. People are just worried that it will be replaced with something that is worse/more detrimental to the city.

People aren't saying they like the building. People are just worried that it will be replaced with something that is worse/more detrimental to the city.

Unless they actually plan on building the Gateway to Hell or the new George W. Bush Presidential Library there, I don't think it's technically possible to build anything more detrimental than the Gov't Center Garage.

For the NIMBYs, height, shadow, traffic, etc automatically makes the building the Gateway to Hell.

Unless they actually plan on building the Gateway to Hell or the new George W. Bush Presidential Library there, I don't think it's technically possible to build anything more detrimental than the Gov't Center Garage.
Yeah, given all the negatives its brings to the table, its not a stretch to consider the Government Center Garage the worst building in the history of Boston.

^^really? The ground floor retail on the Greenway side isn't really too bad, and it adds to the sense of enclosure on it by being so big and hulking.

Bravo to John for raising the obvious question at last night's meeting as to why Menino has agreed to "consider" building a school at One Congress St., and for pissing off the woman from the BRA!! I wanted to say hi to you, but when it got past 9:00 I had to get out of there.

The meeting was rather low key - a handful of the usual former hippies/crazies, the guy who always complains about parking, and the parents who came begging for a school.

I like how Mike Ross showed up late and left right after making his demands of the developers. I'm surprised he didn't bring his photographer with him.

The one element that was new at least to me, and will probably get lost in all the other arguments was how they intend to make this a green complex, including cogeneration to make it almost completely sustainable.

I had gone to the IAC Meeting on Monday, and planed on attending yesterday but I just had too much to do on my current project.

Anyways, My question to the Development team on Monday was;

I love what I?m seeing. Its a green project on the cutting edge of sustainability and with the pick of your architects I think this has serious potential. I stated that I was probably the furthest thing from a NIMBY in the room, and I would really like to see this project move forward. But with such a large project, it is inevitable that at some they will have to go through some sort of Value Engineering process. So my question is?. What?s the first to go? Where does your company typically find value to cut during the VE process.

Basically, it was too early to answer that question, and I knew that?.. But its something to think about.

^^really? The ground floor retail on the Greenway side isn't really too bad, and it adds to the sense of enclosure on it by being so big and hulking.

I know we have talked about this before, but everyone needs to understand that the renderings you guys are seeing are only for Massing studies. No One knows what this complex is going to look like yet.

Back