Bulfinch Triangle Infill & Small Projects

Do you think this is a new temporary building on the site? Back in December, there was an article posted on this thread saying that the project was being delayed due to financing problems.

For me, the round part is the only good part in the structure. It follows the street nicely.

The problem is that it's thrown on in order to follow the street without relating to the rest of the building (which was clearly cheaper or something to paste together in a blunt L-shape). In effect, the street doesn't seem like it's being followed at all, unless you'll be looking up at it from an immediately adjacent sidewalk. The intersection desperately needed one thing - streetwall definition - and this project dropped the ball hard with what must have been an unused design for a cookie cutter highway interchange business park.

With all the "Greenway" ramps helping the area actually resemble a highway interchange, I wonder if it isn't really some kind of subtle commentary.

It's the same base they just got rid of at 1 Broadway in Cambridge,what happen to this design?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks better in this rendering. Can't say I like that, what is it, waterfall, lightning strike, overflowing toilet, on the corner of Canal. Rather have an outdoor cafe than faux naturalism or iconic statement or whatever it is.

Do you think this is a new temporary building on the site? Back in December, there was an article posted on this thread saying that the project was being delayed due to financing problems.

This sign has been up there for a while - at least as far back as November, if not before.

Looks better in this rendering. Can't say I like that, what is it, waterfall, lightning strike, overflowing toilet, on the corner of Canal. Rather have an outdoor cafe than faux naturalism or iconic statement or whatever it is.

I'm pretty sure this rendering is over and done with, but I have to say, the tacky PoMo Trevi Fountain is at least intriguing, even if it would just be an ugly scar on a wall during the six months of the year when water only exists in solid form here.

Nobody said you had to change it here. You could go back to using Jimbo.

He's got the upperhand at the moment, using his middle initial and all.

Luxury or otherwise, it's rental units, which I think is also a step in the right direction.

Too many rentals and too few home ownership opportunities create problems in neighborhoods. See Alston & Brighton for example. Transiency breeds all sorts of problems in the long term for neighborhoods. That isn't to say that too few rentals is a good thing either, as temporary housing is always required in neighborhoods, but there needs to be a balance.

I'm OK with getting the area built up and out. Shape the ramps didn't get built over before the economy tanked.

Has there ever been any talk/actual plans for redeveloping some of the smaller empty spaces/parking lots in the Triangle? I know smaller lots are tougher to redevelop, but I had such high hopes for this area once the expressway came down and very little has changed.

Is this all just part of the Boston paradox - ie why would we take a great city with insane amount of potential and do absolutely nothing with it?

Has there ever been any talk/actual plans for redeveloping some of the smaller empty spaces/parking lots in the Triangle? I know smaller lots are tougher to redevelop, but I had such high hopes for this area once the expressway came down and very little has changed.

All those little lots could fit Custom House Tower sized buildings. That really would be Manhattanization.

Lot drives SUV owners mad
http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1061126892

Fuel-guzzling vehicles would pay more to park

By Jerry Kronenberg and Danielle Rivard

SUV and Jeep owners are seeing red over a planned Hub “green” parking lot that intends to charge customers who drive big vehicles a 10 percent “gas-guzzler” surcharge.

“Whatever car you buy is your choice, and they shouldn’t charge you more because you don’t have a hybrid or because you drive a gas-guzzler,” said Boston resident Christine Degregoria, who drives a Jeep Liberty.

Boston’s Dinosaur Capital Partners has cut a deal with California’s Streetline Inc. to outfit a planned Bulfinch Triangle parking lot with technology that will charge clients based on what they drive.

People who park hybrids or electric cars at the Green Park & Charge lot near TD Garden will get a 10 percent discount on the expected $10-an-hour rate.

But those who drive sport-utility vehicles or other rides that get fewer than 15 miles per gallon will pay a 10 percent penalty.

“We feel strongly that not only is this the right thing to do, but that we’ll attract customers who feel the same way,” Dinosaur Capital’s Scott Oran told the Herald.

“A big SUV has a cost both in terms of the environment and in terms of being a heavier vehicle that causes more wear and tear on our lot,” he said. “We think that should be reflected in our price.”

Dinosaur is spending $1.5 million to build its state-of-the-art facility, which will include four standard parking spaces and eight spots outfitted with free recharging stations for electric cars.

Oran said city officials working with Dinosaur on the project haven’t raised legal objections to the surcharges — even though the government is picking up the $50,000 tab for the charging stations.

“I don’t expect too many SUV owners will be ticked off, because they understand that they’re driving a car that costs more to operate and to park,” Oran said.

But some SUV owners interviewed yesterday in Bulfinch Triangle had their disapproval running on all eight cylinders.

GMC Sierra driver John Roberts said Dinosaur’s pricing plan “is not fair. It’s like they’re trying to make money off of people who are not environmentally conscious.”

However, Jeep Wrangler driver Ryan Reardon said: “I don’t think it’s going to matter really. People with gas-guzzlers will just park somewhere else.”

Are these people disingenuous or just plain dumb to think that ANY parking lot, especially one that takes over a development-worthy lot, could be environmentally friendly?

“Whatever car you buy is your choice, and they shouldn’t charge you more because you don’t have a hybrid or because you drive a gas-guzzler,” said Boston resident Christine Degregoria, who drives a Jeep Liberty.

LAWL

These gas-guzzler owners are shelling out $200 a week on gas; I dont think they'll even notice or care about a 10% pernalty to park.

Back