California

eh, a few more - i dont play tourist enough.

the aon building and library tower downtown

the "house of davids" in hancock park, tacky even for socal.

7th and hope or so, downtown

the grove, the hilarious lifestyle center to end all lifestyle centers in miracle mile

sunset strip

the getty

santa monica pier

malibu

the view from pershing square

more downtown

i DO have a picture of the hollywood sign

A pix my nephew sent me he lives in OC
la07danielsmith.jpg

San Francisco -- sorting through my pix could take weeks! These few are from April of 2006.

My good friends (a straight married couple) chose the Castro because it's fun and livable. One of the most riotous bar crawls of my life took place here. Friends back east who have never been there have asked what the Castro's like -- I think of it as a hilly, gay-themed Coolidge Corner.

2972736457_a24e444c74_b.jpg

At the intersection of Market Street.

2973585146_ff5b56f03f_b.jpg

A great theatre -- I missed Margaret Cho by a week on my last visit.

2973585060_59cba07b8c_b.jpg

For those of you in search of a "bear garden," follow this car.

2972735955_0de7a5de35_b.jpg

Up on Van Ness -- if you're in the mood for cardiovascular disease, this is just the place for you. Great meal, with a classic, Rat Pack vibe. Martinis are the size of a birdbath.

Herzog & De Meuron's de Young Museum isn't for everyone, but I really dig it. I never made it inside -- we went on a Sunday and they were closing when we arrived.

2973584652_70e7fe708a_b.jpg

2972735775_0dfce26d40_b.jpg

2973584458_a48bc27694_b.jpg

2972735215_e603f81edc_b.jpg

2973583644_1a00790944_b.jpg

i really have to make it to the deyoung my next trip up north.

Is there some kind of optical illusion in that first photo? Where does that street go?

ah it's from chinatown - figured out the angle (and checked out the buildings in the foreground)

view from the top of mt. tongva in glendale about a week ago - nice mix of smog and smoke from all the fires.

california could be the best place on earth to live, but because of us humans (combination of environmental and economic) raping of the area, it is probably one of my least desirable places to be.

Northern California is a different world.

How many of you have ever lived in California... recently.
Reading what some of you have written all over this forum, I know you have not.

I want to repeat something that I?ve said before that often gets my goat on this forum.

Too many people on this site are too definitive when they are discussing the merits and demerits of other cities, especially in comparison to Boston.

If you?ve never lived in a specific city or location, how can you pass judgment about it with the absolutes that so many of you seem to?

You wax nostalgic for a time, a place, and things you probably never experienced--the 'grass is always greener' mentality (oh, I guess in Grassachusetts, it just may be--heh).

Coming for a visit, no matter how many times and for how many weeks, will never equal the experiences of living in any one place. I know this seems obvious and simplistic.

Look, I've never lived along CA's Central Coast, Central Valley, anywhere north of Napa, and only two months in the LA area. This state is huge. Living in this state, I wouldn't be so presumptuous to say that I knew much about those areas even after living in CA for fifteen years.

(Hm. Maybe I should find the 'what gets my goat' thread and spout off there.)

Anyway, I cannot say I know much about Boston anymore, except what I knew about it when I lived there over twenty years ago. I also lived in NYC and Connecticut for half a decade each and I don't think I know anything regarding what they are now all about either.

I can say, with certainty, that I can speak completely about six, maybe eight places--all of them in which I have lived for a year or more throughout my lifetime. There may be five others where I?ve spent extended, intermittent months. I wouldn?t consider spending a week or two sufficient to pass expert judgment.

Being a tourist, no matter what your motives while in a location, is a much different experience for giving anyone an opportunity to render worthy comparisons.

When I read what people write as they 'expertly' explain the comparative merits between Boston and Paris, London, HK, SF, LA, Philly, NYC, ad nauseum, I just want to put my boot into somebodies poot.

I'm repeating myself. I don't even know what series of prior posts set me off in this manner from this and other threads, as I am catching up with all the posts on AB.

I am now going to graze on some turkey. I need the calming effectcs of the tryptophan. :red face:

Alright, I'm assuming based off of pictures of smog, that it would not be pleasant to live anywhere near LA.

I'm assuming from pictures and visits and friends who live there, that SF and Napa are wonderful places to live.

How's that garbribre?

Back