Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

Isn’t that the new green line viaduct ?

Correct. That perspective is roughly eastward, between East and North 1st Streets, of the Lot Q1/bus stop. The elevator/stair assembly for the northern Lechmere station also is visible (cinderblock).

All,

I don't have an image yet, but some of the south facing windows on Lot H are already in place, abutting the Gilmore Bridge (much earlier in the process than JK and G saw their first glazing).

Isn’t that the new green line viaduct ?
F51E20C8-F5EA-4F19-9779-F0C0525E1D43.jpeg

I believe there's a small independent effort to get something like that going, but it doesn't seem to have a lot of support right now.

Probably not as polished as I could be, but that video pisses me off. This seems to be marketed as some 495 like offshoot rather than an addition to the urban core.

It almost seems that's what their marketing strategy is. Dense and transit accessible, but also reserved and open. Very 495

Probably not as polished as I could be, but that video pisses me off. This seems to be marketed as some 495 like offshoot rather than an addition to the urban core.
Who are their tenants?
- Phillips will relocate its innovation and commercial healthcare technology teams from Andover, MA (243,000 SF)
- Sanofi is consolidating 2,700 employees currently housed across Massachusetts (900,000 SF)
- Bristol Myers Squibb is combining two existing Cambridge R&D sites into a single location (360,000 SF)
- Cerevel Therapeutics (spinoff out of Pfizer) is moving from Back Bay I think (60,000SF)

These aren't tailored to typical "downtown" businesses. They're high-end labs, with extensive security policies, and lots of very specific custom-designed equipment spaces. Most of these buildings are also high-efficiency, have extensive biking facilities, and are next to a brand new GL station and new Somerville Community Path. They are combining urban sustainability principles with massive floor plates typical of the suburbs, and have a very targeted tenant market. Show me a "495 neighborhood" with the absurd amount of under 40 professionals with 6 figure salaries walking around in sweatshirts and sneakers here, with my bet being on a majority getting out of a train or off of a bike.

While I would have loved a few actual high rises intermixed, I have a hard time complaining about the rapid start to this lab neighborhood.

Last edited:
We lost one crane recently (Lot H), but yes: we've still got a bunch!

Unfortunately in this case, the cranes are 10x more exciting than the actual development we are ending up with. It still baffles me that they insisted on capping the whole complex at 250', in a 1000' FAA zone literally right next to an elevated highway.

I know this last part is totally "whatever" for most of you, but this blob complex absolutely ruins my experience when driving into the skyline on 93 from the North. It pretty much blocks out everything once you hit the Leverett Connector.

Unfortunately in this case, the cranes are 10x more exciting than the actual development we are ending up with. It still baffles me that they insisted on capping the whole complex at 250', in a 1000' FAA zone literally right next to an elevated highway.

I know this last part is totally "whatever" for most of you, but this blob complex absolutely ruins my experience when driving into the skyline on 93 from the North. It pretty much blocks out everything once you hit the Leverett Connector.

The whole complex seems like a planning failure to me.

The whole complex seems like a planning failure to me.

Yeah... totally... from the foresight of planting a 5-acre central park years before the later development phases came online to the programming of mixed-use transit-oriented development by the millions of square feet to the critical shared-use path infrastructure connections from points north into the city... this was such a planning failure.
Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 12.15.57 PM.png

/s

I won't say it wasn't planned, but I do question some of the planning choices.

Back