Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

Does Logan get included when the density of Boston is calculated? It represents almost 8% of Boston's land, even including the islands (which are a national recreation area so probably shouldn't be included either at roughly 2.5% of the area). My math isn't exact here but disincluding both of them boosts the population density to somewhere in the 15 thousands. This doesn't quite get to Somerville but pushes us right to Chicago.

Paris is extremely well developed w/ virtually nothing below 6~8 stories....
Like others have mentioned before, consistency is underrated.

The thing is everybody loves that consistency of 8 story buildings... until its the seaport or cambridge crossing and its a consistent 15 stories of glass... then not so much. When its old and consistent... loved, new and consistent (buzz cut). I get it... but just saying.

Does Logan get included when the density of Boston is calculated? It represents almost 8% of Boston's land, even including the islands (which are a national recreation area so probably shouldn't be included either at roughly 2.5% of the area). My math isn't exact here but disincluding both of them boosts the population density to somewhere in the 15 thousands. This doesn't quite get to Somerville but pushes us right to Chicago.

I did an analysis recently that excluded Logan and City of Boston parks. I did not exclude the islands or cemeteries, so my number is still wrong. Using 700,000 for population, I came up with about 17,000 people per square mile of habitable land. Take out the cemeteries and islands and it is probably closer to 20,000.

I did an analysis recently that excluded Logan and City of Boston parks. I did not exclude the islands or cemeteries, so my number is still wrong. Using 700,000 for population, I came up with about 17,000 people per square mile of habitable land. Take out the cemeteries and islands and it is probably closer to 20,000.

Henry -- until recently you could take out a whole lot more of the city including the Financial District, the meat and flower exchange area, and of course Suffolk Downs

Boston clearly has the ability to exceed 1M people within the city limits without drastic changes to the kinds of street views

All that is needed is a Zoning Ordinance allowing an owner to add or remove of up to 2 stories to any building that is at least 3 existing stories as of right.

This would result in thousands of new units with minimal bureaucratic wastage

A further modification would allow any major street bordering a residential neighborhood to have buildings of up to 6 stories on the side away from the low density housing
and with buildings of up to 10 stories on coiners where two major streets intersect

en Viola -- Paris sur le Charles

Is that overpass in the distance part of the Green Line Extension?
Yes it's part of the GLX project. It's not the extension of the actual line but the overpass to the new greenline maintance facility, which suports the extension+.

Interesting that :14 in the video shows the parcel behind JK, which started before G/H, hasn't progressed beyond pile driving. I wonder if they'll rotate crews once this goes vertical

Back