Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

Looks like the O'Neill Building spawned an offspring:
G1.jpg

Horizontal stripes emphasize the girth. I assume they did that to minimize the NIMBY howling about “soaring” heights.

Lot H / 1 October 2020

Two notices sent to CX residents (my boldface):

<<Dear Neighbors,
The construction at the Cambridge Crossing’s Site H (350 Water Street) is progressing and in order to
expedite the schedule with quiet activities, work will be starting on Saturdays at 7:00 AM taking place on
Saturdays from October 12th to December 8th
. Activities will include steel erection with the electric tower
crane, welding, steel detailing, and curtainwall installation.>>

and

<<The construction at the Cambridge Crossing’s Site H (350 Water Street) is progressing and in order to
expedite the schedule with quiet activities and deliveries, work will be starting on weekdays at 6:00 AM
taking place from October 10th to December 12th
. Activities will include steel erection with the electric tower
crane, welding, steel detailing, cast-in-place placement of concrete slabs, and curtainwall installation.>>

They are moving with gusto (keep in mind Lot H is a significantly smaller building than the structures on Lots JK and G).

It really did, by the time the new lechmere station opens next year theres going to be enough lots built out that the neighborhood will be able to start functioning as a place to work.

It really did, by the time the new lechmere station opens next year theres going to be enough lots built out that the neighborhood will be able to start functioning as a place to work.

We had quite a few Philips folks here already when the building opened in January (and subsequently closed in March). Given the new partners identified (Sanofi-Aventis, BMS, Will Gilson's three restaurants) and, as yet, unrevealed (Lots EF, Q1, & U), there is the potential for lots of activity.

However, with MA case counts soaring above 700/day again, with increasingly higher percentages of those tested as positive, there's likely to be an extended delay until (or if) these buildings become populated as planned. I work for a public megacorp and even quasi-essentials are delaying their returns until 1Q21, or later. Biosciences folks are different than my work since I don't have to be in a lab, but some colleagues who don't need to be (and work at Philips, Amgen, etc) have been told they'll return after vaccine distribution.

I spoke with Will Gilson last week. He understands that this area, after COVID, still represents an opportunity. But he knows that until there's a vaccine he will mostly be serving construction workers at Cafe Beatrice (fronts on Lot I - see my core pix on that thread). And given how few workers here wear masks throughout the day, I hope his staff can remain safe long enough to remain open...

Probably just missed this in docs over the months (years). What is that small low-rise adjacent to the new Lechmere? Looks similar to the smaller outposts Assembly has along its main street.

Probably just missed this in docs over the months (years). What is that small low-rise adjacent to the new Lechmere? Looks similar to the smaller outposts Assembly has along its main street.

Zoned principally for retail (as well as DivCo provided commuting amenities). DivCo confirmed that as recently as two weeks ago on our call, but they didn't confirm which tenants would occupy the space.

We had quite a few Philips folks here already when the building opened in January (and subsequently closed in March). Given the new partners identified (Sanofi-Aventis, BMS, Will Gilson's three restaurants) and, as yet, unrevealed (Lots EF, Q1, & U), there is the potential for lots of activity.

However, with MA case counts soaring above 700/day again, with increasingly higher percentages of those tested as positive, there's likely to be an extended delay until (or if) these buildings become populated as planned. I work for a public megacorp and even quasi-essentials are delaying their returns until 1Q21, or later. Biosciences folks are different than my work since I don't have to be in a lab, but some colleagues who don't need to be (and work at Philips, Amgen, etc) have been told they'll return after vaccine distribution.

I spoke with Will Gilson last week. He understands that this area, after COVID, still represents an opportunity. But he knows that until there's a vaccine he will mostly be serving construction workers at Cafe Beatrice (fronts on Lot I - see my core pix on that thread). And given how few workers here wear masks throughout the day, I hope his staff can remain safe long enough to remain open...

First off, thank you Ivyhedge for your excellent insider's perspective.

Secondly, to your point in the post. let me state the perhaps obvious and say this is one area where COVID's forcing workers to remote may be a silver lining to a terrible situation. The pace of construction really does seem to be flying and the lack of traffic/pedestrians, office workers, etc. may mean a quicker and more vibrant occupancy when this terrible pandemic is someday over. I hope Mr. Gilson feeds many many construction workers who are there in greater numbers right now because of the (unfortunate) opportunity to superspeed this development. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade - - it's right out of Stephen Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. This is an excellent case of that.

Cafe Beatrice soft opened this AM ...

That marks the end of a 12 year dry spell of no retail in CX: let there be eatz!

Back