Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

Re: NorthPoint Cambridge (The one that was train yards, the big plan.)

From the article:

"Extension Extinction?

NorthPoint?s troubles have set the relocation of the Green Line?s Lechmere Station back several years. That, in turn, has threatened the entirety of the $600 million Green Line extension to Somerville and Medford, which the state is legally mandated to complete by the end of 2014."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not temporarily leave the existing Lechmere station in place for a few years, branch off of the existing viaduct on the north side of O'Brien Highway with the new line with a temporary track connection, and build the new station with public funds later?

Last edited:

That part of the article confused me. My understanding was that EOT was going to pay for the new Lechmere Station and already had a design for it, which they have presented to the public.

That part of the article confused me. My understanding was that EOT was going to pay for the new Lechmere Station and already had a design for it, which they have presented to the public.

Yeah they did, its a much cheaper design, but I think the plan is to bill the developer for it anyway one theyre in place

It's a shame no one visits this park.

That whole project is a shame.

I own one of the condos in the above photo. People do use this park to bike, walk dogs and just sit on the lawn. As more people move in and fill up the buildings the park will get more use. Now that the Title 91 mess is over we are hoping for a new buyer for the rest of the land.

thanks good to know!

Very good to know! I really like those buildings and the property as a whole.

I like those buildings!
I just hope they'll fix that T station and those rails....... any news about that?

You know, I'm not really sure. I like the style well enough. The "neighborhood" isn't anything, but I guess I envision a finished product with a lively urban environment around those buildings. I've never really seen a master planned urban community in anything close to a contemporary style - they're always imitations of antique styles. So here, I see the potential to break away from that trend, which I find rather disheartening for architecture as a whole.

I envision a finished product with a lively urban environment

...around THOSE buildings? That's some rather optimistic visioning!

I've been told that I'm too optimistic by many different people in many different situations - it's a bit of a problem, haha.

No harm being optimistic. A neighborhood made up of buildings like those could in fact become lively... lively like the interior of a Borg spacecraft.

^^
Neighborhoods become lively because of the people that live in them and diverse uses that exist in them, not because of the style of the buildings.

Having said that, adding more people and more buildings will help Northpoint, but the entire plan does not exactly aspire to real urbanity. Pity.

... adding more people and more buildings will help Northpoint, but the entire plan does not exactly aspire to real urbanity. Pity.

The first two NorthPoint buildings are nothing special, but inoffensive. The plan they were part of would have stifled urbanity. Now they have a (slim) chance of being part of something better.

You don't need great architecture for a great urban environment. A collection of mediocre buildings that relate well to the streets and one another can still be organized to create good urbanity.

I wish I could be optimistic about the future of these buildings and NorthPoint as a whole, but I doubt it will be much better than any suburban office park when it's finally built out.

I also hope that my neighborhood does not turn out to be an office park. Earlier plans included a hotel, more condos and commercial buildings. The Archstone Smith building (rental apartments) is full. Maybe Phase II is soon to follow? They have been taking core samples for the Green Line Extension. We were concerned that one of the Green Line maintenance facilities would be built on NorthPoint land but most people agree that the best place would be next to the large maintenance garage in Somerville.

You don't need great architecture for a great urban environment. A collection of mediocre buildings that relate well to the streets and one another can still be organized to create good urbanity.

As evidenced by, for instance, Inman Square and Davis Square. Can North Point follow their examples?

Still liking my alternative concept for North Point:

np.jpg

So do we :)

They don't make'm like they used to (for better and worse, really).

Back