Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

10-02-08 again takeing while driving!
021-1.jpg
022.jpg

Cambridge understands bikes.

The new Vassar street (the portions closest to Kendall are done, the parts closest to the BU bridge are still under construction)

IMG_6304-1.jpg

IMG_6305.jpg

IMG_6306.jpg

IMG_6307.jpg

This was an MIT project rather than a Cambridge one, and not all bicyclists are happy with it. You can see one reason why in photo #3: a pedestrian is strolling down the bike lane.

This was an MIT project rather than a Cambridge one, and not all bicyclists are happy with it. You can see one reason why in photo #3: a pedestrian is strolling down the bike lane.

I thought it might be MIT, but it extends past MIT towards the BU bridge, so I wasnt sure.

Yes, pedestrians in the way are a problem, but pedestrians also sometimes to stand in the middle of the street.

At least this way, bicyclists wont get doored or have to deal with double-parked cars

How, pray tell, would you design a bike lane that the pedestrian can't wander into? Better that than one cars tend to stray over, no?

Photo 3 is impressive...if I didn't know otherwise, I would have said it was in Germany. Now that this neighborhood has taken steps to become bike friendly...can it take steps to, well, accumulate uses that would attract bikes to begin with?

I'm surprised no one's covered the new Lesley dorm going up on Mass. Ave. for this thread. I'll try to get a shot of the renderings the next time I walk by. It'll add 4-5 stories to the Mass. Ave. streetwall between Harvard and Porter, with attached townhouses stretching down the adjacent side street.

This is a street on a college campus. It naturally attracts bikes -- hordes of them. MIT had a secure bicycle cage way back in the 1970s.

Cambridge's Public Library addition:

img2019ll9.jpg

img2020pa5.jpg

img2023cx0.jpg

img2025zt4.jpg

img2029xp4.jpg

And I came across this project on Main Street a couple blocks from Mass Ave:

img2088po2.jpg

img2086uk0.jpg

img2087fv7.jpg

img2090mh9.jpg

Oh dear god that Main St. project is awful. Like a double-wide triple decker with a preplanned TGI Fridays (if the base is meant to be retail at all).

I can't tell if I like it or not. My first reaction was that it looks like a 3 decker threw up on Bourbon St.

It stands on the spot where the club Nightstage used to be.

Re: Cambridge Developments: MIT 650 Main Street

I saw this sign today on the site of Shire Pharmaceutical's parking lot.
There was a notation on the sign about the removal of open space (a fenced storm run off retention area). Link to map
3083606116_399c74b2f0.jpg

Is 418,317 square feet large?

Re: Cambridge Developments: Mormon Church

A few pics of the Mormon church site on Binney street:

Whats the address of the church. Ive never seen a church being built, so i want to follow this.

418,000 sq. ft. is large....for comparison, the W Hotel is 350,000 sq. ft., and The Mandarin (both buildings) is 450,000 sq. ft.

Back