Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

The redo of Mass Ave from MIT to Main St is all wrapped up. they've built a new plaza where the end of Main St was, forcing cars to either take a right onto Columbia Street, or a left on to a short new road that is aligned with Sidney Street.

Why they did nothing else to the old roadbed besides lay down some pavers and bollards is beyond me. Is a bench or two too much to ask for?

img3448lw6.jpg

img3450cm9.jpg

img3449tf9.jpg

img3451nf6.jpg

img3452lk1.jpg

Mass Ave is no longer a mess.

img3454xe7.jpg

img3455sb9.jpg

Snazzy. But here in New York they put tables and chairs for people to sit and enjoy life. Boston needs to learn to find the pleasures of simple things.

When I walked through there last week, people were using the wall as a bench. It looks like the designers intended this.

I agree with adding tables with umbrellas and chairs to the plaza. i think it would be really beneficial, since the Toscanini?s is right there along with Cinderella?s and a couple more restaurants. It would really add life to the street, and I think it would be used a lot in nicer weather.

Yes I was being sarcastic too. I get kind of tired of people on this forum holding up NYC as some kind of OZ. I've lived in both places and there are thing each would do well to copy from each other and good things they shouldn't copy. I also think Boston has more sidewalk cafes than NYC, at least per capita.

Yes I was being sarcastic too. I get kind of tired of people on this forum holding up NYC as some kind of OZ. I've lived in both places and there are thing each would do well to copy from each other and good things they shouldn't copy.QUOTE]

No place is perfect. After living in NYC I have come to apreciate somethings the T does better than the MTA (somethings; 24/7 service trumps all tho.)

Just curious, which are the areas you think the T excels at compared to New York's system?

Just curious, which are the areas you think the T excels at compared to New York's system?

-Announcing when the next train is coming (NYC has this on only one line)

-Clean(er) stations

-CharlieCard is better than MetroCard (RFID means less discarded cards littering the platforms)

-Feeder bus system (NY has a bit of this but Boston does it better)

Obviously this is comparing apples to oranges here, but getting back to the subject I was talking about, NYC under Bloomberg has done amazing things in terms of public spaces on the cheap over the last few years that a place like Boston, built around intersecting streets forming squares, could learn a lot from to improve livability.

^I'm not Van, but having spent bunches of time in both cities one area in which I think the T excels is closeness of stops in the downtown area. No matter where you are in downtown Boston (meaning the majority of the area fbetween Kenmore Sq. and S. Station) you're no more than a 5-10 minute walk from any subway stop at any time. The same can not be said for downtown New York (Central Park to Battery Park). Granted, the area I mentioned in Manhattan is exponentially larger, but the coverage varies significantly depending on what block you're on.

Looking at a map of the MTA subway system, you can see that large chunks of (Densely Settled) Central and Lower Manhattan are quite a distance from subways while others have two or more lines directly adjacent to each other running parallel for a good distance.

My other beef, is that the MTA doesn't cross into Jersey. I know there are plenty of other options, and many reasons why it doesn't cross the Hudson; but for convenience sake and ease of use, it would be nice to have one system cross the river.

That being said, I still think New York's is the better system, but it's hard to complain about the T. It's also hard to compare the subway system for a Metropolitan area of 26,000,000 to that of a metropolitan area of 6,000,000.

In Real Estate Sales, Not All Cities Are Equal

By Victoria Cheng
Globe Correspondent / July 13, 2008

Cambridge's real estate market is taking a harder punch from the economic downturn than its neighbors.

Single-family home sales in Cambridge declined 34 percent between January and May compared with sales during the same period last year, according to figures recently released by the Warren Group, which also found sales of condominiums down 36 percent during the period.

"That doesn't compare favorably with Brookline, which Cambridge is often compared with," said Timothy Warren, CEO of the Warren Group, a Boston-based publisher of real estate data.

Single-family home sales in Brookline decreased by nearly 15 percent in the same time period. And communities in Boston's inner belt - including Somerville, Brookline, Newton, and Jamaica Plain - are also doing somewhat better than Cambridge, with their single-family home sales collectively down about 22 percent from the first five months of 2007, he said.

In Brookline, condo sales fell only 20 percent, and the median condo sale price had actually risen 3 percent, while Cambridge's condo prices fell almost 2.5 percent, according to Warren's numbers.

Bill Wendel, a fee-for-service real estate consultant who owns the Cambridge-based Real Estate Caf? discount brokerage, said the city's housing market is often perceived as being insulated by expensive homes and strong demand.

However, he cited a number of single-family homes that had sold for prices well below their tax-assessed value in the first six months of this year, including a Brattle Street property that was originally listed for $5.5 million but went for $3.65 million.

"That's 74 percent of its assessed value. That's amazing," said Wendel, who released a study of 'million-dollar markdowns' in Greater Boston in 2004.

"It's a sign of the times and it challenges the mainstream myth that Cambridge always rises."

One factor that affects the real estate market is the wealth of a community.

Ken Sprague, a realtor with Griffin Properties in Cambridge, pointed to the difference in income between residents in Cambridge and Brookline. The most recent statistics available from the state Department of Revenue showed that per-capita income in Brookline in 1999 was $44,327, while in Cambridge it was $31,156, he said.

And at just over 100,000 residents at the time of the 2000 Census count, Cambridge has twice the population of Brookline and is spread out over a wider range of household income, Sprague said.

"Cambridge is really an urban city with some neighborhoods that have very beautiful, very exclusive homes, and other neighborhoods near Harvard, Central, and Kendall squares that have much denser populations. Brookline is more on the cusp of being suburban.

"There is much more affordable housing in Cambridge, whereas in Brookline there are relatively few single-family homes under a million dollars, so you have a whole different clientele looking to live in that community," he said.

In Somerville, sales numbers, while stronger than in Cambridge, are being driven in part by a drastic drop in home prices there.

"They're doing somewhat better in year-to-date sales but their median price is down for the year about 20 percent, so I guess it would be hard to say that they're doing better," Warren said.

Diane Beaudoin, a sales agent and vice president at Brattle Associates in Cambridge, said, "It used to be that if a property didn't sell within the first week or two, people would ask what's wrong. Now, properties will probably stay on the market a little longer because buyers really want to do their homework."

Still, she added, "More than 17 properties over $1 million closed in Cambridge in the past six months."

As an example of how Cambridge's property market has slowed, Wendel cited a sunny, newly renovated townhouse condo near the Fresh Pond Reservoir that was initially listed for $500,000, a price significantly lower than its assessed value.

The property still failed to attract a buyer, so "the seller slashed the asking price" to 13 percent below its assessed value, he said.

The listing remarks emphasized the property's newly lowered price, and, he said, the strategy worked. "The reduced price attracted a buyer in two weeks," Wendel said, and it shows that ''sellers need to discount their sale prices to attract a buyer in this market."

Coldwell-Banker realtor Lisa J. Drapkin said that "the real key is just going back to the basics, in that properties have to be priced properly and in a good location," adding that "there are certain pockets and certain price points, for example between $350,000 and $500,000, that even favor the seller because Cambridge is such a strong market."

But markets correct themselves. As prices go down, eventually more houses and condos will sell. "It's the laws of supply and demand," Warren said. "As prices become more attractive, it may be helping to improve the market somewhat." The trick for buyers and sellers is knowing when the market has hit bottom. And no one has an answer for that yet.

Link

Not too change the focus too much ? but this about Cambridge Development

Yesterday afternoon I walked from the MOS to Kendall (due to T construction on the Longfellow Bridge) via the Bio-centric developments along Binney St and several other streets near to the Genzyme Hq

There has been a significant amount of new construction -- with a lot of glass and modern style design -- comparable to Cambridge Center in scale and much much more Urban in character

It's worth exploring some time -- i will be back later this summer hopefully with a camera this time

Westy

Kendall...urban character? I think you're the first person to say that here.

I always found it to be a bunch of suburban office buildings plopped down in the middle of a city. Uninspired, rehashed architecture offering a street presence of endless precast paneling and glass walls, unbroken except for the occasional emergency exit.

Absolutely mediocre.

Arborway -- when was the last time that you walked around down there?

Not talking Broadway toward Main and Mass Ave

I'm talking Cambridge Parkway inward toward Third Street and Binney down toward the foot of the Longfellow.

Is it the BackBay or even Charles Street -- no -- but it is certainly better urbanism than Federal Street, Longfellow Center or even Copley Place from the outside

Not that there aren?t still too many surface parking lots in that part of Cambridge -- although they are disappearing and will continue to do so.

Westy

Housing planned for YWCA pool site

It's been out of use so long, you wouldn't know it if you walked by it, but the stout, bunker-like building on Temple street, behind the Bank of America on Mass. Ave., once housed a happening public pool in the middle of Central Square.

Built in 1962, and owned and operated by the Cambridge YWCA, the pool was a popular spot for women and children. But in the 1980s, when the cost of maintaining the site outpaced the revenue it brought in, the pool was drained and YWCA officials locked the doors. For the last 25 years, it has slipped into a state of disrepair; the roof leaks, the locker rooms are rusted and whatever dry spots remain are cluttered with storage.

A proposal circulating the city's Board of Zoning Appeal this summer, would change all that.

In a partnership with the Cambridge Housing Authority, the YWCA is seeking to demolish the pool site and replace it with a seven-story building. It would include 42 units of new, fully subsidized one- and two-bedroom apartments. The $71.5 million, 48,000 square-foot project would be paid for and managed by the Housing Authority. The YWCA would lease the property and use the revenue to pay for improvements to its own affordable housing stock.

"We really see this is as a win-win," said Eva Martin Blythe, executive director of the YWCA. "It makes perfectly good sense for us to partner with the Housing Authority. Their goals are consistent with our own."

This month the Board of Zoning Appeal is scheduled to discuss a permit for the project that would, if granted, allow the Housing Authority to proceed with demolition plans for the pool. On Thursday, the board will hold a public hearing at the Senior Center at 806 Mass. Ave., before making a decision. That won't be the first open meeting on the proposal. Over the last year, the Housing Authority and the YWCA have hosted a series of informal talks with neighbors, some of whom aren't entirely satisfied with the plan.

Arnold Ginsberg, owner of 727 Mass. Ave., the hulking, gothic structure on the corner of Temple Street that's better known as the Bank of America building, is one abutter who would like to see the two organizations pursue a different course. He claims the new construction would devalue his property, and has proposed that a better way to expand the city's affordable housing stock is for the Housing Authority to purchase homes that are in foreclosure, in various neighborhoods.

"Let's face it, there's a stigma about concentrated, subsidized housing," he said from his home in California, where he lives half of the year. "We shouldn't create more of it."

Ginsberg would like to see the pool site, which is adjacent to the YWCA's main facilities and single-room occupancy units, converted into a parking lot.

But Terry Dumas, director of planning and development for the Housing Authority, says the pool site is ideal for housing primarily for its proximity to MBTA stops. In fact, she said, part of the project would be funded by federal dollars that are specific to housing developed near public transportation. Also, despite some objections from neighbors, she said the project has already been endorsed by the Central Square Advisory Committee and the Central Square Business Association.

Once the Board of Zoning Appeal approves it, she said demolition could take place as soon as the fall, and construction could start next spring.

"There's certainly a need for the housing," Dumas said. The Housing Authority has 6,000 people on its waiting list for subsidized housing and about 1,200 are Cambridge residents, who would receive preference if units open up. In the last five years, Dumas said, there has been a shift in demand for smaller subsidized units, for single or elderly residents.

"This could start to address that," she said.

According to a 2003 Globe report, a 1999 proposal from the YWCA would have put market-rate housing on the pool site, but it met overwhelming opposition when brought to the public. In 2003, then-director of the YWCA Susan Smith said she told the Globe she was working with the Women's Institute for Housing and Economic Development to develop an affordable housing project.

It's not clear to Martin Blythe why previous plans faltered, but she said the Housing Authority project seems to have more momentum than past initiatives, and that she is eager to see it through.

The expense of keeping the building is negligible, but the primary cost, she said, is that it's not productive to have a derelict building sitting that close to Central Square.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/07/20/housing_planned_for_ywca_pool_site/

At Faces club site, a big makeover eyed

The dilapidated sign bearing the name of the long-deceased disco Faces has stood at the northern gateway to Cambridge for decades. At last, a pair of local developers want to knock down the shuttered club to make way for a 240-unit apartment complex on the Route 2 site.

The developers, McKinnon Co. and Criterion Development Partners, submitted a preproposal to Cambridge in May. Richard McKinnon, head of McKinnon Co., said they will digest feedback from the public and government officials before submitting a formal proposal in late October.

"I'm very much looking to have this project under construction during the second quarter of 2009," McKinnon said.

The land is adjacent to the Alewife Reservation, a wetlands haven for wildlife and humans alike. Addressing environmental and flooding issues is a top priority, McKinnon said.

To assuage worries of increased traffic congestion on Route 2, McKinnon said the complex will encourage its residents to be less car-dependent by building a lighted path to the nearby Alewife T station and Minuteman Bikeway.

McKinnon said he isn't seeking zoning variances and is "not looking to push any limits." The "more modest" plan does not infringe on the 100-foot buffer zone separating the building and the reservation. "I'm taking the same group of people - consultants, engineers - who have already dealt precisely with these issues in this area of the city," he said.

Beth Rubenstein, assistant city manager for community development, said the Planning Board is "still in the listening stage."

"We're looking forward to more details," she said, adding that the transportation issue is of high importance.

McKinnon will meet with the North Cambridge Neighborhood Group at 7 p.m. on Wednesday to discuss the project. The meeting will be held at the Daniel F. Burns apartment building at 50 Churchill Ave
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/07/20/at_faces_club_site_a_big_makeover_eyed/

I don't fully understand the purpose of the proposed building at the YWCA site. Is this short-term or long-term housing?

Well traditionally YMCA and YWCA apartments were short term for people who couldn't afford their own place, were new to an area and needed a bed for a few nights before they got set up, or just a place to live if you were on hard times for a while.

Some people consider this type of housing a blight but I think it is a necessity if you don't want these people living on the streets.

Back