Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

Historicist house in Fresh Pond that's not at all a cheap-looking McMansion. It will be a rare example of a "real" Victorian if it comes close to the rendering. Would be nice though to see this craft and skill go into something more original and creative rather than used for an imitation, however well done.
DSC_0107.jpeg
DSC_0109.jpeg

Didn't take a close look only stopped for a second. So a down to the studs gut rehab or a teardown and complete rebuild using some of the original woodwork? Looks all new.

So they're basically removing the stucco on the existing house and putting new wood up over the house's skeleton?

EMF, former electric supply company founded in 1921. For a decade it was home to an artist/musician collective that was evicted 3 years ago. They did not go quietly into the night, they made a lot of noise condemning the "greedy" developer's callous disregard for an arts community. City of Cambridge rejected the idea of buying the building to preserve as artist space. It's very unfortunate they lost a happy home but there are no easy answers to situations like this.

It was given landmark status and architects Bruner/Cott won a preservation award. No idea who/what will soon be here.
Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 1.15.39 PM.jpg
DSC_0379.jpeg
DSC_0374.jpeg
DSC_0373.jpeg
DSC_0367.jpeg
DSC_0369.jpeg
DSC_0384.jpeg

Didn't Wistia (social media company, previous HQ'ed around the block on Tudor St) move in there? Not sure if they moved or expanded, actually. Wistia's website lists that as their address.

My band practiced in there in 2007 + 2008. This place was real nice. The one before this was in Everett near the Peanut Butter Factory and that was a total shit hole. But I loved both. More importantly than that. These places are essential for a healthy live music scene. They are such a distinct piece of city arts and culture. They are almost like dorm buildings for bands (and some did squat in them). Without them bands in cities struggle to find places to practice or just form. I've been to few others in Allston, Southie and Chelsea and most are post industrial and have stories oozing out of the walls. I always wanted to make a coffee table book about the jam spots around town and now a lot are gone I imagine.

I remember being taken into one such space in the building that now houses Greentown Labs near Union Sq in Somerville years ago (I was never musical, but I was helping a coworker who was move some equipment) and being really taken aback by the ancient building with crufted layers of cultural acoutrema built up on it, and feeling so out of place in a what seemed like a temple or monastery of a culture that was alien to my own experiences.

I'm off topic, but it's a powerful sentiment GW2500, thanks for sharing it.

My band practiced in there in 2007 + 2008. This place was real nice. The one before this was in Everett near the Peanut Butter Factory and that was a total shit hole. But I loved both. More importantly than that. These places are essential for a healthy live music scene. They are such a distinct piece of city arts and culture. They are almost like dorm buildings for bands (and some did squat in them). Without them bands in cities struggle to find places to practice or just form. I've been to few others in Allston, Southie and Chelsea and most are post industrial and have stories oozing out of the walls. I always wanted to make a coffee table book about the jam spots around town and now a lot are gone I imagine.

when sound museum in allston is closed down (i think that project is still going forward, yeah?) i think charlestown rehearsal studios will be the last "real" practice space in boston proper. there are a few smaller or "unofficial" rehearsal spots that folks use, but pretty sure CRS will soon be last man standing.

Those comments were pretty funny. I my opinion they were also warranted, and the revised version is much more attractive.

The Friends Service Committee building is brick. I fear that it will be completely demolished after they run into issues during the move.

Hopefully it gets them to turn the bike path access into something more formal than a ragged hole in the fence.

That’s different. Looks like it got a bit sunburned, so it’s definitely a local.

Back