Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

A few floors of studios in Central...

1628204775736.png

It looks nice - I wish they swapped some of the facade materials around, and the aluminum panel didn't take up as much of the area that it does. I don't see the appeal in using it, especially on an addition like this. It seems... cheap. Continue the Terracotta on top, and use the cement board where the aluminum panel is.

EDIT: Forgot this was the 29 "micro-units" development. This is some nice density and much-needed housing in Central.

Last edited:
59.jpg

^^^
362 Broadway, prior to demolition. There was a basement (of unknown dimensions) beneath about 60 percent of the building. It was classified as a two family residential.

362 Broadway. Demolition of the late 19th century original above and the almost complete clone reconstruction. Future home of the Cambridge Center for Peace.
DSC_0355.jpeg
DSC_0354.jpeg

St James Place, close to completion.
DSC_0031.jpeg

DSC_0034 2.jpeg

An Army recruitment center. Not the tenant I would have guessed to move in here.
DSC_0042.jpeg

Public courtyard. Potentially nice place but the trees are stressed and they're not looking good. Sidewalk trees are bigger and much healthier and as someone mentioned they must have cost a lot to put in
DSC_0037.jpeg

808 is not a good example of well done brutalist towers.
As long as they don't touch Peabody Terrace or Mather House, have at the renos. It's a shame this one is so generic, but at least it's not oppressively severe anymore.

I'm sure there were reasons for this (I guess?) and the addition is, um, "professionally built" ... but Bigelow Chapel was a near-perfect structure and seemed to meet its needs - including in times when it probably saw a lot more throughput - for 100+ years.

Does literally every building in America need to have a rectilinear glass box (or two) tacked onto it?

For some mysterious reason all the trees just planted on the sidewalk here have been cut down and a crew was digging up the brand new sidewalk. (no pic).
DSC_0031.jpeg

Sadly, I assume the unit density is going down on such a centrally located building.

Back