Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

No, I believe that plan was from 1968, and the hotel project predated it by several years. The masterplan was DOI, but the hotel was nearly a go.

Interesting. I think someone posted images of this on here a while back; we bemoan the current state of the Square, but it could have turned out as bad as Government Center.

Hi humphrey, thanks for your input.

You need to hang around more.

Funny you should say that. Looks like I am moving to Massachusetts in 2011. The Mrs finally got fed up of London and wants to move back home.

I'm looking forward to those giant liquor stores you guys have! :-D

007-7.jpg
0077.jpg
010-4.jpg

Taken yesterday. Mormom land (the inside doesnt look like a church to me)

IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3290.jpg

Is any of this new? I rarely come here
IMG_3294.jpg

IMG_3295.jpg

How often do trains come by here? Every day? Once a week? Ive always wanted to take a picture of one
IMG_3302.jpg

Are all buses required to stop before the tracks? I saw MBTA and LMA buses, going both directions on mass ave, stopping for 5 seconds or so.

*7 minutes later*

Damnit!
IMG_3317.jpg

IMG_3318.jpg

Very few trains go by. Commuter rail trains move at night in a non-revenue movement of rolling stock between north station and south station (the connection is made on the tracks under the BU bridge).

Buses usually stop. The bus drivers I like don't stop.

Last edited:
Around 2pm everyday a short train rolls by my lab like clockwork down these tracks.

Buses and placarded vehicles (hazmat) are required to stop 15-50 feet before all grade crossing.

Is there a reason why the mass ave crossing has overhead flashing lights, but the main street one doesnt (nor do any of the others I think)

That building you asked about is new, there is a thread somewhere about it. I'm a fan but saying it's the best residential building in Kendall Sq isn't really a ringing endorsement.

That building you asked about is new, there is a thread somewhere about it. I'm a fan but saying it's the best residential building in Kendall Sq isn't really a ringing endorsement.

Hi - this building is called "Third Square Apartments" and it is owned by Equity Residential. There was a second building in this complex that was meant to be condos known as 303 Third, but today the entire complex (I believe) is rental and known as "Third Square Apartments"

Library addition:

img2514.jpg

img2516j.jpg

img2503nw.jpg

img2519t.jpg

img2517yf.jpg

And the hotel project on Mass Ave:

img2525qx.jpg

The building isn't too bad (nothing to write about anyway) but that landscaping is really bad. If I didn't know better I'd ask if this was out on R128.

And a high school, but that's far enough away to not be visible in the photos.

Nice addition to the library -- understated and contemporary.

Back