Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

So this is a hotel? It would be cool if it was set up like a saloon complete w/ a first floor parlor and one of those pianos.

It's not an addition. The whole project is new construction.

I don't understand why a taller brick, stone, or concrete structure wasn't proposed here. If I remember correctly this stretch of Mass Ave has several substantial prewar apartment/condo buildings.

I like it. True, the additon could have been better but sometimes people on this Board are soooo negative and they take Boston's distinctive architecture for granted. Buildings like this don't exist in Charlotte, but if it did, it would have been torn down and replaced with a Popeyes!

I appreciate folks want progress or say they should try harder with every opportunity, but sometimes "its as good as its gonna get." And this is CAMBRIDGE.....where there is nothing better than a good debate...about ANYTHING.

I don't understand why a taller brick, stone, or concrete structure wasn't proposed here. If I remember correctly this stretch of Mass Ave has several substantial prewar apartment/condo buildings.
NIMBYism cut it down so it was shorter than its neighbor.

Buildings like this don't exist in Charlotte, but if it did, it would have been torn down and replaced with a Popeyes!
Glad to see Charlotte is finally getting its due as the epicenter of all things bad in urban design.

Truth is though, that it's been dethroned by the likes of Phoenix. In fifty years at its present rate of progress, Charlotte may get back to being as urban as it was in 1940.

The whole thing is brand new... there's no additions, just half-baked design concepts. Go back to page 39 for pics.

NIMBYism cut it down so it was shorter than its neighbor.

Glad to see Charlotte is finally getting its due as the epicenter of all things bad in urban design.

Truth is though, that it's been dethroned by the likes of Phoenix. In fifty years at its present rate of progress, Charlotte may get back to being as urban as it was in 1940.

Was there even NIBMYism to cut this down, or have we finally reached the point where NIMBYism is factored into all new development in Boston?

Wow. I looked at page 39 of this thread and new construction is right. Should someone win an award for making it look like a 1920's rooming house in downtown Lynn?

The amazing thing is that it was all built new and still looks like part of it was tacked on later. Is this some bizarre new trend in historicism? Is there some theorist that can be blamed for it?

I wish we could say so, but the fact that there's a huge vertical transformer literally sitting completely incongruously between the street and the patio makes me think the developers (or whatever agency hoisted it on them) have shit for brains.

And this is going to be some "designer" hotel. Hahahaha.

From 5/31

IMG_4455.jpg

IMG_4466.jpg

Thursday, June 3, 2010, 10:37am EDT
Binney Street project gets key nod
Boston Business Journal - by Craig M. Douglas

Alexandria Real Estate Equities Inc. has secured a key zoning endorsement from city officials for its 1.5 million-square-foot buildout of the so-called Binney Street corridor in East Cambridge. The news has officials at the Pasadena, Calif.-based real estate investment trust predicting the project will likely be fully permitted within then next three months.

The news was disclosed during a panel discussion Thursday featuring Thomas Andrews, a senior vice president in charge of Alexandria?s New England operations. He said the special permitting was secured this week, although he did not disclose additional details about the matter.

Alexandria?s (NYSE: ARE) local office declined to comment about the development, noting that more information about the project and its progress would be detailed in a press release to be issued Thursday.

Andrews said the project consists of 1.5 million square feet of commercial space as well as 220 housing units and underground parking. He said the firm is seeking build-to-suit tenants for the property.

Andrews comments came during a NAIOP Massachusetts breakfast event at Boston?s Seaport Hotel.

Where does it mention Stanford? He's a "joint MIT/Harvard graduate student."

haha I wiki'd him. Based on the name, I had hunch he might have attended Leland Stanford Jr University at some point...combination of parents with high expectations and admissions officers with a sense of humor.

I find it odd that a plan to expand the Broad Institute would "trump" plans to expand housing in the area. Why can't they have it both ways? There is plenty of vacant office space in Kendall, can the Broad really not just expand to one of those building while allowing for residential in the vicinity as well?

^^ Man, walking to Alewife from Fresh Pond would be such a drag...

Anyway, I checked out the Park 87 developers' website and found this proposal for 2419 Mass Ave, North Cambridge. I wonder if it's under construction?

2419massave.jpg

Ya I wouldn't exactly call that a transit oriented development. On a nice day it's a walk. On a bad day during rush hour that, to quote my little brother would suck monkey nuts.

Back