Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

Ack did you guys see Fitchburg Commons on the MTM site? Why why why did they not put the building along the street edge?! So... much... parking...

I had no idea about the Porter Hotel! Cool. I fully expect Davis Square NIMBYs to use it as ammunition against a prospective Davis Hotel.

cden: Fitchburg is a driving city. Hard to get great urbanism there. I'd full-throatedly agree with you were this proposed in the BostonMetro, but Fitchburg is a different animal entirely.

Man, now that the facade skeleton is starting to go up on that thing it is looming right on top of the sidewalk. Street-interfacing density is nice and all (but kind of wasted sandwiched between two high-traffic gas stations on the parkway). But given the number of joggers who pass there coming off the Reservoir ped light I hope whatever goes in this thing doesn't start crowding out the sidewalk. Not the widest slab of concrete to begin with.

Biogen Idec HQ on Binney
raoc6VQ.jpg

EFwh6Rm.jpg

Btw, there is yet another apartment complex going up in Fresh Pond area behind CVS and Trader Joes. They already got fooundation dug out.
Not sure that project has been mentioned here...

"Now you can pay Cambridge taxes while still living in suburban hell!"

I loved how 2 East was reduced to one lane here midday last Monday so the bulldozers could back in and out, in and out, over and over again. So the two hours of daylight that Alewife doesn't have a traffic jam had a worse traffic jam than usual (I didn't see the stopped traffic in time to bail onto Lake St., so I got stuck in it all). How does shit like this even get approved when it makes the curb cut situation on that expressway WORSE??? And sucks up so much space inches from the highway it prevents it from ever ever ever being fixed.

"Now you can pay Cambridge taxes while still living in suburban hell!"

Um ... do you know what residents pay for taxes in Cambridge? Its pretty low. Is that what you were meaning? You can pay low property tax and feel like being in the suburbs?

cca

PS ... never mind. I did not see your quotes. My statement is reserved for whoever wrote those words in the quotes.

Renters don't pay taxes...and yes taxes in Cambridge are very low...and yes route 2 is suburban hell

Renters don't pay taxes...and yes taxes in Cambridge are very low...and yes route 2 is suburban hell

The property taxes are built into your rent. Not just in Cambridge, but everywhere.

But yes, Cambridge's humongous commercial tax base allows them to keep property taxes low.

Back