Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

Love it so far, though I don't get the pattern breaks in the second and third pictures... visual interest? Or just making room for the glass waterfall?

The pattern break to the right side is for the garage. The garage is about 3 stories. The break in the pattern is where the building crosses from garage in the back to office in the front.

Here's a grab bag of office news...

Amazon.com leases nearly 130,000 square feet in Cambridge

By Michael B. Farrell / Globe Staff / July 26, 2013

Online retailing behemoth Amazon.com Inc. will take up 129,125 square feet across six floors in a Kendall Square office building located at 101 Main Street, according to documents filed with local officials that were published by the tech blog Xconomy.

The Globe reported in December that Amazon had signed a lease for 105,000 square feet based on information from a person briefed on the deal. Amazon did not respond to a request for comment about the lease in Cambridge or to questions about what the company has planned its new office.

It has had a small office within the Cambridge Innovation Center at 1 Broadway in Kendall Square and last year paid $775 million to acquire North Reading Kiva Systems Inc., which makes robots for moving products around warehouses.

Link

Biogen begins shift to 'radical' new space in Cambridge

Jul 24, 2013, 6:52am EDT by Craig Douglas

The Boston Globe is reporting that Biogen Idec this week will transition around 300 employees to its new 190,000-square-foot research and office complex in Cambridge's Kendall Square.

According to the newspaper, the new space, which emphasizes open areas and cube-less workstations, will mark a significant departure from Biogen's existing research and administrative facilities in Massachusetts. The new 6-story facility, known internally as Building 9, will primarily house Biogen's drug-development operations, according to the report.

The move comes roughly a year after Biogen reversed course on a plan to move its core executive and research operations to Boston's western suburbs. Instead, the company announced in 2012 that it was returning most of its presence in the Bay State back to Cambridge from a new facility in Weston owned by Boston Properties.

Link

Report: Cambridge offices filling up while lab space grows

By Alex Fairchild Jul 26, 2013, 1:37pm EDT

Cambridge’s office market improved in the second quarter as availability fell, according to a MarketView, a report by CBRE/New England.

The 11 million-square-foot office market had 1.1 million square feet of available space, or 10.4 percent, from April through June, down from 1.3 million, or 12.3 percent, last year. Absorption increased modestly by 32,473 square feet.

In East Cambridge, HubSpot’s expansion at 25 First Street was the quarter’s largest transaction. The marketing software company doubled its presence to 117,000 square feet. Intuit (Nasdaq: INTU), another software company, will relocate to 61,000 square feet at 150 Cambridge Park Drive.

As tenants took more space, office rents in Cambridge were essentially flat at $42.77 per square foot in the second quarter, compared to $42.39 a year ago. East Cambridge, which includes Kendall Square, had the highest office rents at $52.36, off slightly from a year ago at $54.66, a 4 percent dip.

Lab space didn’t fare as well in the second quarter. Of the 9.4 million square feet of lab space in Cambridge, 1.5 million square feet is available, up from 1.2 million last year. While more lab space became available, rents fell to $51.92 per square foot in the second quarter from $52.69 a year ago.

Link

As far as lab space availability, it is only going to increase as Vertex moves out and Broad's and Novartis's new buildings are completed. Theres unlikely to be any more lab buillding starts in the near future...

As far as lab space availability, it is only going to increase as Vertex moves out and Broad's and Novartis's new buildings are completed. Theres unlikely to be any more lab buillding starts in the near future...

Millennium/Takeda new building at 300 Mass. Ave.

Alexandria's plan is to build 1.9 million sq ft along Binney and they've only just started.

Millennium/Takeda new building at 300 Mass. Ave.

Alexandria's plan is to build 1.9 million sq ft along Binney and they've only just started.

Yes, sorry, forgot about Millenium. Alexandria though, I read somewhere they are not going to start a speculative building. MIT said same thing about thier second building next to the one leased by Pfizer.

Anyone know what is being built on First street in Cambridge? There is an L shaped lot at the south end of the to Boca Grande / The Similans / Helmand block. There has been some excavation there and recently cranes on site. I thought I read something about it in a thread here but not able to find it.

Anyone know what is being built on First street in Cambridge? There is an L shaped lot at the south end of the to Boca Grande / The Similans / Helmand block. There has been some excavation there and recently cranes on site. I thought I read something about it in a thread here but not able to find it.

I found this:
In February, Urban Spaces LLC started construction on its newest project in Cambridge, a 115-unit apartment development at 159 First St. in the Kendall Square area of Cambridge.

The 160,000-square-foot building is a five-story wood structure places on top of a concrete and steel podium and parking garage; bringing its total height to six stories above grade. The building’s first floor will include apartments as well as commercial space. The project is a 50/50 partnership between Urban Spaces LLC and The Michaels Organization. General contractor Callahan Inc. expects to complete the project by June 2014, Hirsch says.

The 159 First St. project is just one of a number of developments that Urban Spaces LLC is currently involved in. The company has several other multifamily projects in the design phase and one small project under construction. Projects range from 21 to 55 units and are located in both Boston and Cambridge.

^ Awesome, thanks!

Good location for some more residential, and if they have a ground floor retail spot it could get some nice foot traffic with the mall and Calumet nearby.

There is an open retail spot on First street up closer to Lechmere. It is on the way from the T down to the Galleria and has a ton of foot traffic. Directly opposite 25 First street building. I can not understand how a restaurant or cafe has not picked up that place yet. There is even room for outside seating. Huge lunch crowds from the offices on weekdays and mall traffic on the weekends.

There is an open retail spot on First street up closer to Lechmere. It is on the way from the T down to the Galleria and has a ton of foot traffic. Directly opposite 25 First street building. I can not understand how a restaurant or cafe has not picked up that place yet. There is even room for outside seating. Huge lunch crowds from the offices on weekdays and mall traffic on the weekends.

That's been vacant for like 5 years now. It's really a shame. A couple years back they installed green neon lighting in that colonnade and I got excited thinking they finally found a tenant, but alas, they didn't.

That's been vacant for like 5 years now. It's really a shame. A couple years back they installed green neon lighting in that colonnade and I got excited thinking they finally found a tenant, but alas, they didn't.

Likewise, I was working in 25 First and hoped that the new lighting meant a new tenant. At this point I would be perfectly happy with a Panera or some other fast casual option that does not naturally fit with the food court setting at the Galleria.

Anyone know why the Porter Sq T Station exterior is taking so long to complete? It seems like they pour a sidewalk, it will sit for a few days, then they will tear it up, let it sit for a week, pour a new one, repeat. I haven't seen any action on the site at all this summer.

9485672935_a8c725d4e5_b.jpg

9488466848_c15f3c2c59_b.jpg

I walked around this site this weekend.

I don't get it. Someone bought a very expensive unitized curtainwall system that until you are about 20 feet away from it looks like a cheap strip window facade that one would expect from a route 128 spec office building. The "crack" in the facade is also very confusing as an expression for what this organization does.

Someone want to help clarify the intentions here?

cca

Back