Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

could've sworn there was a sign on the building offering it for sale stating that the new project had been approved...

The project was approved however after a structural review the existing building was deemed structurally unfit. The plan is to now replicate what was there with new structure and materials but unfortunately this now triggers a whole new review process.

The end could be nigh for one of Cambridge's most egregiously underutilized parcels:
http://www.cambridgeday.com/2016/09...ty-officials-seek-a-3-7-million-land-seizure/

Out of patience with family squabbling over desirable but neglected real estate near Central Square, city officials are likely to approve Monday an eminent domain land taking of Vail Court.

An appraisal commissioned by the city puts a fair market value of the property at $3.7 million, which would be given to the Abu-Zahra family and its Six-S Realty Trust in exchange for taking the 0.65-acre property at 139 Bishop Allen Drive a block from Massachusetts Avenue and the heart of Central Square.

The end could be nigh for one of Cambridge's most egregiously underutilized parcels:
http://www.cambridgeday.com/2016/09...ty-officials-seek-a-3-7-million-land-seizure/

About @#$% time! I was starting to wonder whether that building was contaminated with some sort of SuperAsbestos that fell from the planet Krypton, because it made no sense that the developer hadn't razed it yet. Good for the city, because it was only a matter of time before somebody arsoned it for lulz.

Whatever it is ... I like it. I guess I need to make a trip over there.

cca

Whatever it is ... I like it. I guess I need to make a trip over there.

cca

Wow, I find this building just so simple, so dull, boring, and lifeless. cca, you're an architect, what do you like about this building? Totally serious. You gave reasons why you consider the ACS at 50 Binny a Japanese movie monster Beast and I get it. But in the end, I guess one's beast is another's funky girl. ;)

Last edited:
Wow, I find this building just so simple, so dull, boring, and lifeless. cca, you're an architect, what do you like about this building? Totally serious. You gave reasons why you consider the ACS at 50 Binny a Japanese movie monster Beast and I get it. But in the end, I guess one's beast is another's funky girl. ;)

I had similar thoughts on his comment. When I saw those pics my thoughts were " ugh, that's hideous... but it looks like a lab so I guess they are just being practical"

all-business type facades get brutally honest comments.... which is fine.

But we can't say it about the Rudolph carnage without wondering if the national security state is watching.

Eh ... its personal. Don't get too worried about someones opinion. I like things that have a conceptual clarity, in which all elements of the work speak the same language and work with each other in concert. Given that criteria, this project is attractive in that way ...and Binny is a self conscious mess.

That's all. I am not saying to anyone that they can't like things that are more collaged, patch-worked, or quirky. It just does not work for me or my sensibilities. Your opinion is both valued and encouraged. Design is cool either way.

cca

I had similar thoughts on his comment. When I saw those pics my thoughts were " ugh, that's hideous... but it looks like a lab so I guess they are just being practical"

Why wouldn't a thing look exactly what it is? There is an elegance in that. When one dresses up a building to make it look like "other things" I lose interest. It starts to be about the will of the architect and not the honest expression of what the immediate context is.

cca

(is it still a double post if you are responding to two seperate posts? :rolleyes:)

Eh ... its personal. Don't get too worried about someones opinion. I like things that have a conceptual clarity, in which all elements of the work speak the same language and work with each other in concert. Given that criteria, this project is attractive in that way ...and Binny is a self conscious mess.

That's all. I am not saying to anyone that they can't like things that are more collaged, patch-worked, or quirky. It just does not work for me or my sensibilities. Your opinion is both valued and encouraged. Design is cool either way.

cca

Nice.

i rather like the mix of attractive + ain't-fucking-around facades going up.

When visitors come to Boston in 5-7 years, they're going to be absolutely blown away.

If everything goes through I hope they certainly build a more elegant looking building. Yes, the "waterfall of glass" is cool,but it looks strange from far away and the rest of the building is so bland.

Looks bland from farther than 20ft away ... but that is a f'n expensive facade! Unitized Curtainwall with custom frit patterns. YIKES!

Harvard Law proposal to redevelop long closed Mass Ave taxpayers.
https://www.cambridgema.gov/~/media...2016/1607massave/lpr_1607mass_plans.pdf?la=en

Yes! Redevelopment there can't come soon enough. That site is heavily polluted with perchloroethylene, a toxic dry cleaning solvent, and has sat vacant for years. Cleaning that up and building retail with office on top will be a clear win for the corridor. It's pretty much the only vacant storefront between Harvard and Porter on Mass Ave.

The relationship between Harvard and the barbershop has been contentious at times, so I'm somewhat surprised but happy to see it being retained in this development.

Back