Canopy by Hilton (née Haymarket Hotel) | Blackstone St | Parcel 9 | Greenway

Re: Parcel 9 - The Greenway

Maybe they can finally do the deck financing now that we live in a post-Fenway world?

And of the three ramp parcels, that's by far the most important one to develop in some way, as it is a barrier between the North End parks and the rest of the Greenway.

(The ramp parcel north of Haymarket is beyond the official end of the Greenway, and the one by Rowes Wharf has a very pleasant sinuous path winding through it.)

I like when museums pay for themselves.

Wouldn't the museum be tax exempt? There goes the Fenway tax financing method. A PILOT agreement could potentially cover the costs of decking over time, but my guess is that would take a loooooong time.

anyone have renders of the two finalists? im too lazy to search through the thread to find them.

I would hope the museum, like a private developer, would have to pay to build over the off-ramp. I wouldn't expect the museum to pay anything in property taxes once built.

anyone have renders of the two finalists? im too lazy to search through the thread to find them.

new drinking game - have a drink very time someone uses the work 'diverse' in the videos

Blackstone
pnf
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/port...Dev/parcel9_BlackstoneMarket_presentation.pdf
video:
http://northendwaterfront.com/2012/...greenway-parcel-9-development-proposal-video/

Normandy
pnf:
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/port...te_assetDev/parcel9_normandy_presentation.pdf
video:
http://northendwaterfront.com/2012/...hotel-plan-for-greenway-parcel-9-development/

State suspects pushcart pact
Did Haymarket vendors cut deal with developer?

January 23, 2013

By Greg Turner / Boston Herald

The state is close to picking a developer for a key site on Boston’s Greenway, but first it wants to know if developers have cut any side deals with the Haymarket Pushcart Association — a group with considerable sway on the Parcel 9 project.

The bidding is down to two finalists. Blackstone Market has garnered significant community support for its proposed complex of 50 apartments, three restaurants and a rooftop farm on the triangular parcel next to the produce vendor area.

However, the other contender, the 180-room Haymarket Square Hotel featuring specialty food shops, restaurants and a rooftop garden, could have the advantage with its higher bid.

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation recently raised questions about “what we understand to be a financial agreement that may exist” between the pushcart group and Blackstone Market developers Cresset Development and DeNormandie Cos. regarding trash removal.

MassDOT later asked both the Blackstone Market team and hotel proponent Normandy Real Estate Partners to lay all their cards on the table.

“We want to know whatever each developer is offering ... so we can fairly evaluate the proposal,” said MassDOT spokeswoman Cyndi Roy. “We are open to both proposals but want to make sure we’re doing our due diligence before we make a decision.”

In a Dec. 23 letter to MassDOT, pushcart president Otto Gallotto took issue with what he called “innuendo” that the group’s backing for Blackstone Market “is somehow being bought.” He said the benefits offered would “protect the future viability of the market” but do not involve a “direct payment” — a statement echoed by developer Philip DeNormandie.

“Our goal is to coordinate the trash removal between the Blackstone Block and the Haymarket pushcarts,” DeNormandie said. “But everybody has to pay for their own share.”

In 2010, the state killed a previous round of bidding for Parcel 9 after the pushcart group argued that a housing proposal favored by the state would not mesh with Haymarket merchants who set up carts in the predawn hours.

“It’s just odd (the pushcart group’s) support would be leaning toward another proposal for housing,” said Normandy Real Estate principal Justin Krebs.

Gallotto told MassDOT his group now supports apartments because there would be fewer units, no condo conversions, and leases would warn tenants about Haymarket operations.

http://bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/2013/01/state_suspects_pushcart_pact

What is the big deal here? The better bid SHOULD prove able to cut a deal with the pushcarts. That's just logical. Sounds like the state is out to disqualify Blackstone to push away their lower bid. That's a scandal because this is far and away the better proposal.

What is the big deal here? The better bid SHOULD prove able to cut a deal with the pushcarts. That's just logical. Sounds like the state is out to disqualify Blackstone to push away their lower bid. That's a scandal because this is far and away the better proposal.

Both developers are required to work with the pushcarts.

The issue is that they pushcart people suddenly prefer residents over short term visitors. This is a change from their previous thinking.

The pushcart group originally thought permanent residents here would eventually try force them move, and I'm I have no doubt they will. Of course having permanent residents demanding a higher level of sanitation would be a good thing.

Don't forget that every so often newcomers to the North End try to silence the bells on the Old North Church, in the harbor they try to silence the mandated use of horns on boats leaving around harbor towers and in Charlestown they try to end the firing on cannons on the USS Constitution.

Both developers are bending over backwards to accommodate the pushcarts. If you watch the videos from the North End hearings you will hear a lot of about this and there is always someone representing the pushcarts at these presentation. They can be interesting to watch, although a bit to long:

http://northendwaterfront.com/2012/...cted-for-parcel-9-best-and-final-offer-round/

I think it's a terrible place for residential. It's in a sea of commercial space.

Residential is what this area needs, in my opinion. It's going to stay dead at nights and on weekends forever until more housing happens on the Greenway and in the Financial District.

I think hotel guest are more apt to go out at night than residents, at least week nights.

I think it's a terrible place for residential. It's in a sea of commercial space.

You could, literally, spit on residential from here in a strong enough wind.

And this is one of the most certifiably undead spots in the city between the Haymarket, the Blackstone Block bars and restaurants, and people walking down Hanover to the North End.

people in the north end complain about bar and restaurant goers already, and its not like its a new issue. Putting residences above an outdoor market that starts setting up at 5 am and has lots of trash to get out is a recipe for a long term disaster. A hotel on the other hand, half the charm is being right in the center of the city. And if people have real issues, after their two nights are done, they leave.

Apartments are not smart in the long term, no matter what type of assurances are made.

And I have to agree with that. If the pushcart people want to protect their long-term interests, they should be backing a hotel (or offices), not apartments or condos.

Back