Canopy by Hilton (née Haymarket Hotel) | Blackstone St | Parcel 9 | Greenway

Re: Parcel 9 - The Greenway

And what a let down this is compared to the garage proposal next door!

No worries. The garage proposal has plenty of time yet to get watered down to a faux-brick-clad box of uniform height with offset windows and a set back upper floor. This one is just further along in the process is all.

^^Maybe ask the BCDC Board, "will you slam this one down too?"

This is all in the quality of the brickwork. If the bricks look good, this is is a winner. Otherwise...

It appears that they eliminated the large Haymarket sign which would have been a cool feature and provide a dramatic entrance to the "Market District from the North End/Greenway. The BRA (excuse me, BPDA) routinely quashes large, bold signs, unless you are a large corporate tenant.

It appears that they eliminated the large Haymarket sign which would have been a cool feature and provide a dramatic entrance to the "Market District from the North End/Greenway. The BRA (excuse me, BPDA) routinely quashes large, bold signs, unless you are a large corporate tenant.

It's more the smaller historic landmarks commissions that you have to go through in addition to the city that will come down on the signage, rather than the larger BRA agency.

It's more the smaller historic landmarks commissions that you have to go through in addition to the city that will come down on the signage, rather than the larger BRA agency.

Landmarks can be a problem, but the BRA design folks often shoot this stuff down on their own accord. They are very conservative when it comes to signage.

The building itself is meh, but the second floor patio is very cool. I hoping it's going to be open to the public. Maybe a restaurant...

I think this is one instance where I would have preferred they fill out the entire footprint with elevation (landscraper) but vary the facade every 30'. That would have looked much more dense and urban. I appreciate that they played with the form, but it's going to look like an amorphous blob from the Greenway. (Sad.)

Not worthy of this spot. It's like they switched the render for a new wing at Brockton High School. Next, will people be screaming about the Greenway?

This isn't in Landmark's review. They might comment under the greenway guidelines but that's it.

That said, in my experience they generally don't like big roof top signs because they are seen as detracting from the few remaining historic ones we have (Like Boston Wharf or Union Oyster).

I have to say I agree with this. While I really like good urban lighting, boring signs doesn't cut it. It's one of the things that really detracts from the Seaport IMHO, all the signs. And that's not even including the blood curdling purple Vertex building lighting. Make a great, cool building and light it well. Don't stick a giant, generic REEBOK on it.

Frankly, I look forward to seeing the GE logo on their new headquarters building if it ever get's built. I find it to be a point of pride to see buildings identified by their major tenant; State Street Bank, Prudential, Vertex, Converse, Gilette, TD Garden, the Bruin's logo and Celtic's logo on their new training facilities at Boston Landing, visible from the Pike, to name just a few.

How did Wayfair get their new signs on the Copley towers?

This does conform well to the adjacent Blackstone block.

This can't happen soon enough. What's there now is a disgrace.

Back