Canopy by Hilton (née Haymarket Hotel) | Blackstone St | Parcel 9 | Greenway

Someone with a drone should probably try to capture a shot from above the greenway.

I think the brick façades are particularly successful wherever the sun hits them and creates some interesting shadow lines, esp. around the windows. That said, the end
wall best defines the building and its relationship with the hotel next door as does the long angled façade. The black areas look better in shadow since the panels are not matched and look sloppy. In time it will all blend together, as the Greenway already has with mature plantings, activities, amenities, etc. as well as the appropriate overlay of age. The only thing I really miss in the design is some kind of defined cornice with cast shadows that offers a sense of finality to the roofline.

Screenshot_20211104-134228_Chrome.png

Hilton lists a February 1, 2022 opening date on their website

Hard to find the exact angle as your (beautiful!) photo below, @BeeLine, but... dang:

View attachment 18449

Great job, Downburst!!!!

That juxtaposotion really shows how De-Automobilized the surface of that area has become since the Big Dig.

May that more humane, dense and efficient urban momentum continue.

Last edited:
Now if we can get rid of the damn billboards...
I'm surprised they're still there, because the audience for which they were intended has gone underground. I know nothing about the economics of billboard advertising, but these can't be generating much net revenue.

This looked dicey for awhile but it's turning out pretty well.

But would it have KILLED them to put a little detail on the red brick sides.? It's awfully plain for such a visible downtown spot.

1639861714186.png

1639861765666.png

Definitely nice to get more retail along the greenway. Also with how popular outdoor dining has become its perfect timing to see this incorporate a retractable glass wall. Should be a hit.

“Aside from the hotel, the project is also due to include 12,711 square feet of retail and restaurant space. There will be a 2,000-square-foot bar and restaurant, too, with views of the Greenway and a glass wall that retracts.”
https://boston.curbed.com/boston-development/2019/11/18/20966881/canopy-by-hilton-boston

Back