Canopy by Hilton (née Haymarket Hotel) | Blackstone St | Parcel 9 | Greenway

I'm hoping the ground floor glazing will be a dominant feature and perhaps visually define the building. Either way, in person, to my eye, this may be a better design than the pictures suggest. The black brick - which I didn't care for in the pictures, was even puzzled by - seemed to work in person. Or didn't puzzle me. Faint praise. If this turns out to be a background building, is that such a bad thing?

Seems like a current fad in architecture is to arbitrarily throw in a different façade on part of a building to allegedly break up the monotony. Oftentimes that's worse than just going with the same façade throughout, as demonstrated here ^.

Yes. Funny how in previous eras the solution was that parcels were simply smaller, leading to tremendous diversity in the built environment.

Given the price of land today and the associated near-requirement that any construction involve an ecosystem of sophisticated / expensive legal, architecture, engineering, construction, interior design and leasing experts, every thing that gets built seems like it has to have at least 50K square feet of space ... creating, like the Hilton Canopy here, landscraper buildings that have to mishmash together multiple architectural styles to avoid monotony.

Yes. Funny how in previous eras the solution was that parcels were simply smaller, leading to tremendous diversity in the built environment.

Given the price of land today and the associated near-requirement that any construction involve an ecosystem of sophisticated / expensive legal, architecture, engineering, construction, interior design and leasing experts, every thing that gets built seems like it has to have at least 50K square feet of space ... creating, like the Hilton Canopy here, landscraper buildings that have to mishmash together multiple architectural styles to avoid monotony.
Good point about the larger/longer parcels requiring more than one cladding or treatment over the entire surface. The base portion of the Hub on Causeway is a good example of how the breaking up of a long building can be done right. However, on this hotel here it doesn't work well. The area of blackened brick looks like fire damage in these photos, but as someone said on here, maybe it looks better in person.

Seems like a current fad in architecture is to arbitrarily throw in a different façade on part of a building to allegedly break up the monotony. Oftentimes that's worse than just going with the same façade throughout, as demonstrated here ^.

I sure am glad the Hancock was built in the 70's and not today. Here's a guess of how it would have been proposed in 2021.

51072541327_1b76062848_o by David Z, on Flickr

Taaaaa daaaaa!!!!!

Alternate 2021 John Hancock proposal.... you're welcome

51299820672_d3f218123d_h.jpg

I think I get it now that I see better pics. It's as if there were an addition stuck onto the narrow end of the building at a later date. An architectural conceit, if you will. It would have been more effective if the fenestration had been altered somewhat. At least the black goes around 3 sides.

Back