Canopy by Hilton (née Haymarket Hotel) | Blackstone St | Parcel 9 | Greenway

Re: Parcel 9 - The Greenway

Isn't there some development near Gillette where buyers have to agree that Gillette will always be there and that they can't object to noise and truck traffic from Gillette?

Sadly, none of us works in any of Menino's back rooms, so this amounts to nought, but why not just protect the market's position legislatively? It's hardly a new idea in Boston to landmark/protect institutions -- and if the unserious humans in the State House can consider a law banning shadows from touching parks, surely they could preserve the city's oldest continuously operated market?

I don't think the city would ever allow Haymarket to disappear, but for the sake of theory, I'd prefer to have a real neighborhood here with a less-smelly market than the relatively messy and cheap Haymarket two days per week opposite a no-man's land.

I don't think the city would ever allow Haymarket to disappear, but for the sake of theory, I'd prefer to have a real neighborhood here with a less-smelly market than the relatively messy and cheap Haymarket two days per week opposite a no-man's land.
Haymarket serves a purpose, and that purpose is not middle class.

My mother used to shop here for all our fruit and vegetables, but she had no illusions; this market consisted of rejects passed over by supermarkets, but the low prices made it OK. She even haggled, and at the end of the day, you could cart off whole cases of fruit for a buck.

Naturally, none of her middle class friends shopped here.

I think renters put up with a lot more than homeowners, so an apartment building might end up working in that space. I agree, however, that after a couple of years, anyone who lives there will start asking for change. We see it in the South End, all the time.

People will move in. They'll be thinking, "Oh how bad can it be? And such a great location!"

Then after a couple of warm summers, the noise and smell starts to wear on them. "Well, can't they start a little later and close an little sooner?"

Then, "Well, I think does it need to be this big? Maybe we can limit it to smaller number of select vendors."

Finally, "We feel there are better places in the city for this type of market, we are trying to build a neighborhood!"

Should they be ignored? Of course!

Will they? Of course not.

This is exactly why I proposed they sign a preemptive agreement along with their lease. It's absurd to think that they can instantly become "property owners" or at least "city residents" and have more sway than the vendors who have occupied the place forever.

Haymarket serves a purpose, and that purpose is not middle class.

All true, but what is more valuable -- having a not-middle-class market sewn in by non-residential non-neighborhoods in what is essentially the center of the city, or having in that same central part of the city a neighborhood where people actually live, along with a market that appeals more to their tastes?

I'm not saying that's what has to be -- I still say the city could enshrine Haymarket as it is in law -- but if it came down to those choices, I'd rather have a 24/7 neighborhood where real people live than a 2-days-per-week market and a barely visited lemon of a museum...

People live a block away from Haymarket already -- on Hanover and Salem streets in the North End. It's not a dead neighborhood at night. I don't see a need for people to live on every single city block. If anything, Haymarket should expand into the adjoining Greenway parks.

The Haymarket stands would not withstand the billowing winds of the Greenway prairies.

Mother fucker.

Search For Parcel 9 Developer Stops
By Paul McMorrow
Banker & Tradesman

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) has unexpectedly halted its search for a developer for a prime Rose Kennedy Greenway parcel in Boston, marking the second time in a year the state has broken off a bid to build along the new downtown park system.

"Yesterday, MassDOT's Office of Real Estate and Asset Development notified project proponents that the designation process for Parcel 9 is being terminated," MassDOT spokesman said in a brief statement emailed to Banker & Tradesman. "MassDOT has consulted with the [Boston Redevelopment Authority] and (the) city closely and going forward will take a fresh look at how the redevelopment of Parcels 9 and Parcel 7 can meet the goals of the Commonwealth, the city's vision for the Market District and neighbors, while also bringing in revenue to MassDOT."

Parcel 9 in BostonMassDOT could not be reached for further comment.

The 30,000-square-foot parcel is sandwiched between the Greenway and Faneuil Hall, making it one of the most visible development parcels downtown. Four developers - the Gutierrez Co., the DeNormandie Cos., Eastat Realty Capital and the Boston Museum - bid on the parcel last April.

The Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, which controlled the parcel as a vestigial piece of the Big Dig's construction, failed to designate a developer before the agency was folded into MassDOT on Nov. 1, 2009. At the time, outgoing transportation secretary James Aloisi told Banker & Tradesman he expected MassDOT to designate a developer on Parcel 9 "promptly."

However, last month, MassDOT secretary Jeffrey Mullan threw the brakes on the designation process, saying he had concerns about "the financial viability of the proposals."

Parcel 9 is the latest in a string of stalled development projects the state has on its hands.

Last month, MassDOT announced Jones Lang LaSalle had walked away from the planned redevelopment of the USPS parcel at South Station.

Last September, the Pike rejected a leasing and redevelopment bid by the WinnCompanies for a nearby Greenway development parcel, the Parcel 7 Garage. That bid would have allowed the Pike to pocket 80 percent to 90 percent of the parcel's net income over the first ten years of the lease; over the proposed lease's first 30 years, Winn offered to pay the Pike $75 million. Boston Mayor Thomas Menino envisioned Parcel 7 and Parcel 9 serving as the lynchpins in a new year-round market district.

Eamon O'Marah, managing partner of Eastat Realty Capital, said his firm's $45 million housing proposal has had committed construction financing for months.

"We are puzzled by the decision," he said. "We would be creating 275 construction jobs. We're creating affordable rental housing. We were recommended for designation at the December 2 board meeting. It's disappointing."

This city/state is just so depressing sometimes.

"Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off."

What's really going on here?

^ Someone's cousin didn't win the bid?

F*ck you, MassDOT. And to think that I was under the impression they would have been a better agency than MassPike.

Last edited:

A region of so many smart people, run by such twits. I guess this is what happens when you allow ethnic/identity-politics machines to monopolize the political process.

Last September, the Pike rejected a leasing and redevelopment bid by the WinnCompanies for a nearby Greenway development parcel, the Parcel 7 Garage. ... Boston Mayor Thomas Menino envisioned Parcel 7 and Parcel 9 serving as the lynchpins in a new year-round market district.

Also, why does there have to be some more-or-less artificial "market district"? Why can't you just let people move into a place and form their own neighborhood, however they define it to be, rather than zoning the city out like Epcot? Too many big ideas in that little Menino brain.

This doesn't upset me....all of the proposals were underwhelming and half-assed.

I'd rather have nothing for 2 years than an absolute POS for the next 50....

Last edited:

The outcome doesn't upset me, but the process is opaque as all hell... especially considering some of these proposals were fully funded.

This doesn't upset me....all of the proposals were underwhelming and half-assed.

I'd rather have nothing for 2 years than an absolute POS for the next 50....
The two will turn into fifty soon enough. How long have we had to tolerate the lot at Newbury and Dartmouth?

Once upon a time there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours
And dreamed of all the great things we would do

Those were the days my friend
We'd thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance
Forever and a day

We'd live the life we'd choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young
And sure to have our way