Casey Overpass

Right, and taking down the overpass won because real actual data supported it.

The studies were done with a pre-determined decision to remove the bridge... If youve followed the new over the past few years, the evidence for that accusation (levied by anti-at-grade propagandists, I admit) seems pretty clear and convincing.

Sorry, but if I'm weighing a study with a repeatable method vs tin foil hat conspiracy theory, I'm going with the study.

Riverway is NOT a limited access road! And it is NOT a highway! It does not work well. We just had another fatal crash there a few nights ago. I hope you are not speeding on it, for your own sake.

Excuse me. What I had meant to write is that the Riverway functions essentially as a limited access road. No left turns anywhere except at designated intersections. I'm not talking about speeding; when I said it works I mean that it functions very well at getting one around town (excepting rush hour) which is rare in Boston.

Let's be clear here: driving from the Arborway rotary to Blue Hill Ave on 203, one currently goes through Shea Circle (at which there is NEVER a point to yield to traffic, when going in this direction, then the Forest Hills St light, Canterbury, and Harvard. Those lights are all times heavily in favor of 203 traffic. This will not be the case for the new lights - so for anyone using the Riverway/203, timing will not be improved, but slowed. And regarding the crazy traffic patterns that exist there now, I don't see how any of that is going to change; the only ramp that really gums things up is the offramp coming off 203 E. The rest of the crazy zigzags will remain as before.

Yes, it will look better, probably, but not that much better, since it will be lots of paved lanes with a few median strips with trees. As I said, if traffic improves in the area, I will be stunned but I still think a better way to go about this would be to replace the bridge with something thin and attractive and redesign traffic circulation down below. Throw in some takings by the state of a fringe of MBTA property and you could have the Emerald Necklace link as well.

traffic will only get worse if this project induces more people to drive - there are some capacity limits downstream of this intersection, so I highly doubt we're going to see some kind of traffic apocalypse (especially if the MBTA and the city moves forward with BRT in the area). I'm mostly worried about the total number of lanes they put in as I think the current and future traffic projections do not justify it - so we may see a road diet on the new arborway maybe a decade or less after it is finished - putting up a new overpass would make it a lot harder to adapt to a future where people are driving less - which is looking more and more likely.

What we will definitely see, though, is a lot more people biking from Roslindale.

The studies were done with a pre-determined decision to remove the bridge... If youve followed the new over the past few years, the evidence for that accusation (levied by anti-at-grade propagandists, I admit) seems pretty clear and convincing.

Admitting you're taking your information from propagandists is the first step in recovery. :)

But here is some "propaganda" from the other side... The general narrative goes something like this in my view as someone who has read all the docs, attended many of the 45 or so public meetings, boned up on the history of the area, supports the project and who lives here:
*The overpass is crumbling, and is beyond its serviceable life as a poorly engineered sixty year-old structure. Because of structural weakness and safety concerns (and after the daily traffic counts the propagandists and the engineers use were determined), it was reduced to one lane in each direction with loads directed towards the center and limited to (I believe) 7 tons. As an abutting resident, I'm pretty sure that the commuting traffic counts have dropped significantly since the lane restrictions went into place three+ years ago. But that is only an impression.
*The overpass was built to fly over three street-level and elevated train lines that no longer exist (the E line trolley to the Arborway Yard, the old elevated Orange line above Washington Street, and the massive granite heavy rail viaduct that stood near South Street until 1986). The pylons and arches of those structures (i.e the footprint on the ground) caused significant disruption to car traffic when post-war car ownership boomed. That is why the Casey is so tall and so long. All of that 1950s justification for the overpass has been gone from street level for nearly three decades.
* It was known that an overpass could carry the regional through-traffic since one already existed and was already doing so.
* What was not known - and hence this was studied at length - was whether a non-overpass alternative could work or solve several problems: carry the loads with comparable levels of service for all users (out to the year 2035), improve traffic flow and patterns throughout the area: north-south as well as east-west (which very much ARE disrupted by the Overpass's footprint today with it's pylons, ramps and abutments), and relieve the long-term upkeep expense that an overpass would bring. It was not some nefarious pre-determined outcome, only the thing that needed to be studied.
* WHEN the data showed the answer to be YES, an at-grade solution could work, THEN a host of other opportunities became available that will revitalize the area for decades (the plazas, the new head house, bike paths, safer pedestrian crossings, net 400+ trees, and yes: improved connections to reknit the Emerald Necklace between the Arboretum and Franklin Park).

There are clearly vocal members of the community in JP who reject all that. They don't trust the data (which is all available on MassDOT's Casey website), don't want change, fear "all that traffic up there coming down here", can't see that the footprint of the overpass is a significant disruption to ground level traffic, distrust the government and/or see some vast cost-based conspiracy where I (and many others) see determined professionals who have come up with a visionary and transformative plan that will fix a lot things that are broken in the local transit hub, the roadways, cycle and pedestrians paths and in the parks-access that make the area a regional attraction and one of Boston's "greenest" neighborhoods. Much of that is made possible because the At-grade solution is cheaper than a new Overpass.

But their inability to accept the facts doesn't change the facts. Their claims of conspiracy haven't conjured one.

One of the great ironies in all this is that the leaders of the opposition to this plan have played a very signifcant part in improving it all along the way: in large ways like the expanded Upper Busway and smaller ones like the attention to detail on cycling and landscape issues. By holding MassDOT's feet to the fire at every juncture I believe they injected more rigor into the process than there might otherwise have been. One of the smaller ironies is that I'm grateful for their input in the process, even though I've often opposed their "propaganda" when it strayed from the facts.

Last edited:
Well, the one downside of the new design is that we won't have views like this anymore:

IMG_20141130_150605.jpg

IMG_20141130_150041.jpg

this is going to start any day now - contractor has until mid January to start without getting fined.

I've started going for runs in the area recently - going between forest hills and franklin park is always a bit of a challenge - shea circle is awful - I avoid crossing forest hills drive until midway but there's no sidewalk there. I'd run in the bike lane on the shoulder, but cars speed through there and always straddle the lanes. There's garbage everywhere in that section - much of it has been there for months now. That bus yard is completely underutilized, but both lots at forest hills are completely full - I'm thinking primarily orange line commuters - and it appears that some of the traffic problems on hyde park ave are due to people trying to enter the lots.

Ideally they'd extend the orange line further south, but it looks like they could use a parking garage there.

anyway - I'm really ready for this project to begin - not having a bridge there is going to make that area look very different.

Last edited:
...and it appears that some of the traffic problems on hyde park ave are due to people trying to enter the lots.

I drive every morning through there and that is the case. The worst thing is that two lanes could probably handle the traffic OK, but you only need the line of people waiting to get into the lot to get long enough and it becomes a shitshow. Every morning I mentally redesign the entrance to the lot to allow both lanes to flow normally. :)

this is going to start any day now - contractor has until mid January to start without getting fined.

I haven't yet seen confirmation that the Notice to Proceed has been issued. Have you? There have been indications that it might be soon in the locall media (and elsewhere), but I don't believe the contract clock starts ticking until it actually gets issued. I'm as anxious as the next guy for them to just get on with it, but an entire year has passed since the "final" design was revealed and "any day now" has stretched on and on...

At the DOT board meeting in late October when they blessed the awarding of the bid to Barletta, Steve McLaughlin (DOT project manager) stated that once the Notice to Proceed is issued there are built-in incentives to close the bridge and divert all traffic to the surface (using the ramps) within 90 days - they are very concerned about safety, and want demolition to begin while area resident's windows are closed for the winter. I think he said it was $26,000 a day bonus for being under 90 days and the same penalty for being over. He also said there is also an incentiive (not sure if it's the same amount/day) to 'substantially complete' the project within 670 days of Notice to Proceed (though the agenda for that meeting said 740 days), which I assume means all-but-landscaping. I think he said the bonus/penalty was capped at 5% of the total contract...

Construction update meeting
Jan 21, 2015
6:30 - 8:00pm
English High School Auditorium
144 McBride Street, JP

While this project will certainly not be good for auto traffic (speeds) during and after construction, it does tidy up the street geometry/layout and is actually amazing for bikes.

MassDOT Casey website now says Notice to Proceed was issued 12/15/14, so the clock is ticking on timing incentives.

Construction update meeting
Jan 21, 2015
6:30 - 8:00pm
English High School Auditorium
144 McBride Street, JP

Is it just me or does anybody find it really obnoxious that they've changed the date of this meeting three different times? I *think* this is the correct one and it's what my calendar says, but I can't be sure I didn't miss the last email. I understand that scheduling is not simple but what is so hard about waiting till you have an exact date to make the announcement? I'd rather wait for them to be able to do that than try to anticipate three different dates a month in advance. If you want to give more than a weeks heads up than say "it will be around this week" or "sometime in mid to late January". It really screws you up though to write down a date, plan for it, and have to switch it twice.

Anyway, maybe this is just the normal way of doing things. /rant.

All delays associated with the project to date have been aggravating, but the first "hold the date" announcement came before the venue had been confirmed to try and give the community as much notice as possible, then it was moved by one day to secure the venue, and then it was pushed back another week to the 21st because some members of the community wanted three week's notice.

Orange surveyor's stakes are sprouting all around the project area like daisies.

The meeting invitation was published in the Boston Globe Legal Notices section on both Jan 3rd and the 4th.
And yes, I did show up at English High this evening - they looked at me kinda funny, but did say that someone else showed up last night.
I even had the date correct on my phone; I just relied on my, apparently, decaying mind.

anyone go to the Wed-night meeting? I heard it was entertaining.

anyway - they've started cutting down trees and they're staging jersey barriers over by the T building. I believe demo starts within a couple weeks.

A fairly reasonable take on the 3 1/2 hour long meeting can be found here:
http://www.universalhub.com/2015/state-start-shutting-forest-hills-overpass-next?nocache=1
MassDOT intended the meeting to be about construction, introduce the Contractor, hotline number and give a three week look ahead of construction activities. -

Bridging Forest Hills really whipped up the anti-bridge sentiment this time, they went door to door taping flyers onto them with packing tape and apparently covering a goodly portion of Center and South streets in JP with them as well. Their handout at the meeting doubled as a protest sign, so many people held them up until they left.
2ryr6fm.jpg

Not supporting their tin-foil hat conspiracy theories, I didn't pick one up.
(yes, I stole the image from the BFH Facebook page)

Perhaps the funniest part of the meeting was when a BFH member who spoke with "the voice of reason and authority" he talked about the smoking gun: a report from 2007 or 8 by the structural engineers Simpson, Gumpertz, and Heger that said the bridge only really needed a new deck, but really recommended replacement if a long term cost effective solution was warranted. SGH did their profession credit by saying that a no bridge scheme could never work. Note: a traffic study was not included in the final report. Of course, The Voice, had an entirely different take on it.

Lots of people had questions about dust and noise control - MassDOT really should have expected this and should have come prepared with well thought out answers instead of trying to explain technical info to the neighborhood. A number of people were convinced about asbestos being present in the concrete structure, apparently the ambulance chasers at mesothelioma org have really managed to frighten people. I admit, it's the first time I've heard of it and I've been involved in construction projects for over 20 years where drilling, sawing, crushing concrete was a normal everyday thing to do and no one ever came across asbestos in structural concrete. (damp proofing membranes, ACT, flashings, insulation, transite board, and fire-rated doors on the other hand very frequently have contained asbestos). Another new concern to me brought up by a BFH supporter was treating crystalline silica (concrete dust}) as a public health hazard not just an occupational hazard.

From MassDOT:

You are subscribed to Casey Arborway project updates from the Massachusetts Department of Transportation.
3-Week Look-Ahead: January 19th to February 13th

During the week of January 19th work will focus on baseline video monitoring of public ways and utilities. Installation of variable message signs (VMS) and other construction period signage will take place. Tree removals for the placement of the temporary roadway will get underway as will gas line work by National Grid at Shea Circle.

During the week of January 26th, video survey of adjacent properties will begin as will the following elements:
• Installation of temporary tree protections
• Cleaning of catch basins and lateral drains
• Adjustments and relocations of utilities
• Temporary roadway construction
• Relocation of Verizon cabinets at South Street/New Washington Street

During the weeks of February 2nd, all work listed for the previous week is anticipated to continue. At present it is anticipated that tree removal, tree protection installation, and drain cleaning will be completed by the week of February 9th. Video site survey, installation of construction period signage, utility work, and temporary roadway construction will be ongoing.

All work is subject to weather conditions

Last edited:
I'm betting there's more of a health risk with diesel exhaust from the buses than any demo work that's going on there. I'm sure those guys are going to be spraying to keep dust down anyway - it's pretty standard these days.

This is a perfect example for the anti-auto contingent of the old saying..."be careful what you wish for, you just might get it"! Lots of dust, noise and disruption during demolition and reconfiguration of the streets followed by horrendous traffic and lots more pollution from street level traffic jams.

Back