Center for Student Services @ BU |100 Bay State Rd | Back Bay

Re: BU Development Thread

Regarding the actual architecture: so far I've liked the BU renovations, not sure if it was all Bruner/Cott, although I think they have been the architect all along. While the recent BU construction has been very safe and conservative, it's also been very pleasing to the eye. Of course, it'll depend on the materials used as always, but from the one rendering we've gotten so far, I'm optimistic. That lot on Bay State Road definitely deserves infill, and this seems like it will effectively connect the more commercial Commonwealth Ave. with the more residential Bay State Road.

I'm pretty sure they've ditched their former architects beginning with StuVi 2.

Well, either way, Bruner/Cott has a very solid portfolio on their website.

Canon Architects designed the following recent BU and BMC buildings:

Boston University 10 Buick Street
Boston University 33 Harry Agganis Way
Boston University Track and Tennis Center
Boston University Agganis Arena
Boston University School of Management and University Central Administrative Offices
Boston University John Hancock Student Village
Boston University Photonics Research Center
Boston University Life Science and Engineering Building
Boston University Center for Advanced Biomedical Research
Boston University Fitness and Recreation Center
Boston Medical Center BioSquare Garage
Boston Medical Center Boston Medical Center

So it looks like this will be Bruner Cott's first BU addition. I agree, they have a well developed university portfolio and I'm excited to see what they can do for BU.

Of course, nothing is quite like Sert's contribution to BU...

Staff reduction also has the benefit of cutting operational costs.

Of course. But BU is already raking in hands over fist with what they charge for dining plans.

Supposedly, educational institutions are non-profits. But you know what, I highly doubt the money saved in dining is redirected to education.

Regarding the centralization of the three dining halls, I can't help but imagine it's a good solution. Of course, I'm not a BU student, but I would prefer to walk (even through Boston winters) to a larger, updated, centralized dining hall (akin to that in Sleeper) and study center than have an antiquated cafeteria in my basement. Considering BU is an urban university, I feel that it's important to have a centralized bastion of the campus within the neighborhood - something that according to what I've read, East Campus lacks.

Also, complaining that this does nothing but improve BU's tour perception isn't really a great argument. BU's national reputation is rising, and it's due in no small part to successful tours and capital projects like the dorms, StuVi, etc. National recognition helps every student, and even alumni.

To the first point, 95% of the students have breakfast in pajamas. I'd say 50% have lunch in pajamas, 20% have dinner in pajamas, and 40% visit late nite cafe in pajamas. This tells me that students love being able to live, eat and study without going outside.

Walking 3 blocks in 17 degree weather at 7am to have breakfast is not appealing.

I wouldnt be surprised if BU threw this into their money calculations. Students forced to purchase the same amount of meals, but using less of them due to the hassle. Instead of breakfast every day, just having a box of cereal in the bedroom. Remember, meal plans are mandatory, no refund if you dont use them all.

Further, the dining halls are not antiquated. Towers had a 100% makeover 2 years ago. Myles and Shelton have older dining rooms (wood panels, chandeliers) but kitchens that get worked on every 4 years. I do admit, the lower level of the shelton kitchen is pretty ugly, but students dont see that.

To the second point, I agree, being perceived as a good school is a good thing. The problem is, when you're shown solid gold during the tour and given 8k gold plated paper when you arrive. Perhaps that's not a good analogy... It's more like...

"We've just built a 100million state of the art gym with 100 machines!"
*We also closed 5 gyms that combined held 175 machines.
=4 years ago

"We built a new centralized ultra-comfortable computer lab at the library with 50 computers!"
*We closed the 7 more convenient labs with 500 computers
=Last summer

And yes, I agree, there's nothing wrong with a centralized student space. In fact, I am 100% supportive of the parking lot being built over, it's needed, right now it's a terrible use of space.

This is what I would have done:

1st floor. GSU part 2. Dining establishments open to students and the public (like GSU). Kenmore already has lots of food, but could have more, it's a popular destination. Keep the dining halls, but offer new options. Unlike other universities, BU forces students to buy dining points, but doesnt allow non-BU restaurants to accept them. If I recall correctly, the Unos in kenmore takes northeastern, MIT and BC dining points, but not BU.

2nd floor- Gym. Shelton had a gym, it was closed 3 years ago. Myles has a gym, but it sucks, and a squash court that has never been open to students. Warrens gym has had its hours cut drastically in the past 4 years. The HojO pool was closed when BU bought it.

3rd floor: Study space/library/computer lab. BU closed all the dorm labs last year, now everyone has to go to Mugar library when before every building had one.

4-7 - Career services, other offices as needed.

Students complain that the dorms are old and thus lack common spaces. Administration claims this move will allow much needed space. It's a lie The myles annex is full of empty, unused rooms. Sheltons gym was closed for a year and turned into bike parking. Myles and towers computer labs now sit mostly idle. Most brownstones have common rooms that should be open to all students, not just the 12 in the building.

"We've just built a 100million state of the art gym with 100 machines!"
*We also closed 5 gyms that combined held 175 machines.
=4 years ago

I can't fully defend the losses of the gyms as I never got to experience the closed Miles and , but what I seen, it is mostly a bunch of running machines and elliptical. Correct me if there was more. The gain of the basketball courts, punching bags, track, and weight room outweigh the loss. Of course, they tend to be used more by guys... I guess this is a positive trade off for me, I can see it may not be for you.

"We built a new centralized ultra-comfortable computer lab at the library with 50 computers!"
*We closed the 7 more convenient labs with 500 computers
=Last summer

With exception of South Campus (where it is made into a bike room), the place is coverted for studying and two nice computers are retain for short things. Also, those labs was used more for Facebook by far than anything else. Also to tell you, the new library have 200, not 50 and I'm pretty sure there was not about 500 total in the system in the closed labs. Each lab have about 20-25 at most. On computer front, I think the new lab, online printing (as long that you use it), new study area with two computers for use outweigh the previous lab.

The loss of the print quota is my problem and that can be fixed without new labs.

Didn't we talked about this before?

---

Now for the rest, it coincide with my concerns. I don't think the gain of the new dining hall outweigh the loss of convenience of the dining halls within the large dorms.

I can see some benefits. It could unite East Campus as "East Campus" where before it was divided between Myles, Shelton, and Towers. The food will improve, Myles and Shelton was not known for really good food (except for Myles's burgers).

However, I think the dynamics of East Campus is just fine as is where it is semi-divided into Myles, Towers, and Shelton with adjacent HoJo and Bay State dorms feeding into them. I don't see the feeling of unity of "East Campus" that big of a deal. Same with the food, they were bad, but not that bad. I think BU students would enjoy being able to go downstairs more than the better tasting food. I guess the Bay State people won't get to enjoy going downstairs, but the choice of 3 dining halls sounds nice to me.

Again, I hope some historical society or a NIMBY kill this project. Alternatively, let the dining halls stay open and make the new space a mini-GSU and mini-Fitrec.

The midrise section of the East Campus Center reminds me a bit of the new Sloan Business School at MIT, also designed by Bruner Cott.

View from Deerfield / Kenmore Square:

ScreenShot1.jpg

It looks like there is still a large empty lot on the left side of the drawing.

Well, I dig it. Not sure about the lot, but architecturally, not bad at all.

It looks like there is still a large empty lot on the left side of the drawing.

There is, the lot closest to Kenmore Square on Comm Ave adjacent to the HoJo is not being developed as a part of this development. The lot on the Bay State side is the one.

Looking at that satellite image, it's too bad they aren't developing that other lot. Does BU own it?

^Yes. The long range master plan calls for development on this block, and the adjacent small building and HoJo residence.

Looking at that satellite image, it's too bad they aren't developing that other lot. Does BU own it?

BU owns everything. They probably even own this forum.

...even your very soul.

I hope there is a NIMBY circus. I want this see this project delayed just because of the way BU orchestrated the announcement to not include any student feedback.

I dont disprove of the architecture, I just think it's BS that they announce a major campus change during finals week, and have the comment period be during summer break.

Back