Center for Student Services @ BU |100 Bay State Rd | Back Bay

Re: BU Development Thread

What? No NIMBY's out measuring shadows on Bay State Road?

I'm not necessarily complaining (though I used to live across the street), but ... why does BU need to demolish it? How many rowhouses are they taking down?

That "rowhouse" looks like it is from the 1950's.

Has construction on the east campus center begun?

The press release said second quarter 2011 to start construction.

I agree, it would have been inappropriate for the location. It's a mix between Agganis Arena and the Photonics Center tower, and just bland/unoffensive. The Academy would have been relocated to the Law Tower.

In other news: BU had their breaking ground ceremony today for the East Campus Student Center.

A slightly updated rendering of 100 Bay State Rd (East Campus Center):

BSR-Trustees.jpg

I walked by the site yesterday and it appears the small 2 story building is being prepped for demolition.

Please tell me those red/brown portions will be rendered in brick and not some godawful precast panels...those colors never seem to look good in precast.

It's mahogany. Genuine mahogany siding.

Will this building replace, or duplicate, services and functions that are now at the George Sherman Union?

Will this building replace, or duplicate, services and functions that are now at the George Sherman Union?

Neither. It is a consolidation of area dining halls currently housed in dorms (Myles Standish, Towers, Shelton Hall). The GSU has some specialty dining options that draw students campus wide. That will still be the case. The other feature of this building is some new student facilities not currently available to students in the Kenmore area (ie a fitness center).

The other feature of this building is some new student facilities not currently available to students in the Kenmore area (ie a fitness center).

No fitness center.

Dining hall, basement cafe, career center (currently across the street, by the post office), I believe some music rooms and study space.

Re: B.U. East Campus Center (100 Bay State Rd)

This is probably a stupid question, but do foreign schools have study abroad programs based in the U.S.? Are any on them based in Boston?

Re: B.U. East Campus Center (100 Bay State Rd)

This is probably a stupid question, but do foreign schools have study abroad programs based in the U.S.? Are any on them based in Boston?

Yeah they do and I can only imagine that there are PLENTY in Boston.

Back