Center for Student Services @ BU |100 Bay State Rd | Back Bay

Re: B.U. East Campus Center (100 Bay State Rd)

This is probably a stupid question, but do foreign schools have study abroad programs based in the U.S.? Are any on them based in Boston?

I can't answer your broader question, but from my own experience, I hosted a student from Amsterdam about 4 years ago, who was going to a semester at BC. I believe it was an exchange program which BC individually partnered with his school in Amsterdam (can't even think of the name anymore.) It was an awesome experience.

Sure, exclusive exchange programs are a plenty. Whether or not there is an equivalent to what Suffolk has in Dakar or what the University of Maryland had in Schw?bisch-Gm?nd, Germany (off-shore campuses of an American university), I don't know. If they exist, they're very discreet.

The two story building on-site of the East Campus Center has been demolished. I will try to get pictures tomorrow.

257.jpg

258.jpg

259.jpg

260.jpg

Sure, exclusive exchange programs are a plenty. Whether or not there is an equivalent to what Suffolk has in Dakar or what the University of Maryland had in Schw?bisch-Gm?nd, Germany (off-shore campuses of an American university), I don't know. If they exist, they're very discreet.

In 2010, Massachusetts hosted the 4th largest number of study abroad students annually, after California, New York, and Texas. There were approx 35K students hosted in Massachusetts with most going to BU (5,100 students), Harvard (4,800), NEU (3,900), MIT (3,500), and UMass-Amherst (1,700). 17% of the 35K students were from China, 12% from India, 8% from South Korea, 6% from Canada, and 3% from Taiwan.

By comparison, Massachusetts based schools only sent 12K enrolled students overseas.

More info is here - http://www.iie.org/en/Research-and-Publications/Open-Doors/Data/Fact-Sheets-by-US-State

^ I don't think that really answers the question though. He wanted to know if there were satellite campuses of foreign universities here, not just foreign students at local unis.

The closest I can think of locally is Hult International Business School, which has four campuses worldwide, with one in Cambridge. I'm not sure that really counts, though - I think the Cambridge campus is actually something like headquarters, although the school holds its campi to be coequal, and not satellites.

Most universities outside the US just don't have the money for this sort of thing.

That's a new one to me -- I didn't realize Cambridge had another school besides Harvard, MIT, Lesley, Longy School of Music, and Cambridge College.

Showa Boston immediately comes to mind. It's a women's university whose main campus is in Tokyo and has a satellite campus in South Brookline. Anyone using Reservoir station on a regular basis is bound to have seen them, as they have a shuttle bus service (not unlike BC's) which drops them off on the Green Line for excursions into town. Hard to miss a gigantic group of Japanese teenage girls.

But yeah, every time I see them I can't help but think: to go from Tokyo transit to the unholy combination of a shuttle bus + the Green Line...yikes.

^ Not all Japan is Tokyo. Maybe the Green Line thrills them!

That's a new one to me -- I didn't realize Cambridge had another school besides Harvard, MIT, Lesley, Longy School of Music, and Cambridge College.

You're also forgetting the Episcopal Divinity School, Cambridge School of Culinary Arts, and Le Cordon Bleu Boston (which is actually a satellite of the Paris-based Cordon Bleu, to circle us back to the original question).

You're also forgetting the Episcopal Divinity School

From what I understand, this was absorbed into Lesley somehow and is Lesley's "Brattle Campus."

Showa Boston immediately comes to mind. It's a women's university whose main campus is in Tokyo and has a satellite campus in South Brookline. Anyone using Reservoir station on a regular basis is bound to have seen them, as they have a shuttle bus service (not unlike BC's) which drops them off on the Green Line for excursions into town. Hard to miss a gigantic group of Japanese teenage girls.

But yeah, every time I see them I can't help but think: to go from Tokyo transit to the unholy combination of a shuttle bus + the Green Line...yikes.
I was actually a SHOWA College Connector. They screwed me out of my $300 paycheck when my girls failed to show up for our final meeting.

Their campus is in JP and the school buses them to Reservoir to connect into Boston. They also have a special run that drops off in front of Simmons. They have an authentic wood-frame Japanese tea room built the traditional way without nails in their main building. It's stunning.

^ Wow, is it technically in JP? I've been a couple times for various events (the Japan Society of Boston is housed there too). The ultra-pastoral campus just screams SoBro to me.

Sucks about the paycheck...maybe it was a devious cost-cutting plan hatched by the admins? haha

The shuttle bus should take them to forest hills, it's much closer.

They're not allowed to use the Orange Line. Honestly, this is the school's policy. They use Reservoir because it's safer.

$300 paycheck

Ah, camp counselor pay. Nothing like contracting out of the minimum wage.

They're not allowed to use the Orange Line. Honestly, this is the school's policy. They use Reservoir because it's safer.

It's because they're scared of the black people, isn't it?

(Japanese people are notoriously racist due to how homogeneous their country is. This is a fact.)

Showa's public transportation directions tell people to take the D Line to Reservoir and take the #51 bus (after which you then have to walk about 15 minutes), but make no mention of instead going to Forest Hills and getting the #51 (or #38) from there.

(To be fair, the #51 from Forest Hills is a really roundabout though scenic trip.)

Back