Central Square

Crazy NIMBYs who consider those surface parking lots to be "open space".

Crazy NIMBYs who consider those surface parking lots to be "open space".
Really? You have to go several rings of wasteland out before you even hit your first inhabited structure. The number of actual neighbors is tiny (limited to low-rise structures on Inman St and dotted in separated dwellings on the south

I will admit that the parking lot's locust trees are the biggest, finest "1970's parking lot trees" I can think of. They've actually been let grow to the height that I'm sure the original architects' dried-yarrow-as-trees model showed:
yarrow2.jpg

(in the days before CAD renderings, we were promised that all builder-spec trees would look this good ;-)

I should have mentioned the empty Lyndell's site and, beyond that on the South side of Prospect, the empty grey Cambridge College building (across from Whole Foods) Somebody was hammer-drilling in the Cambridge College building yesterday, so that, at least, has some action.

I've heard some NIMBY's justifying those parking lots as necessary bonding areas for various communities that have been pushed out of Cambridge by high rents and still go to Central Square on Sundays to go to church (I think, in particular, the African Methodist Episcopal church)...

I've heard some NIMBY's justifying those parking lots as necessary bonding areas for various communities that have been pushed out of Cambridge by high rents and still go to Central Square on Sundays to go to church (I think, in particular, the African Methodist Episcopal church)...
Do they raise the gates on the parking then?

Do they raise the gates on the parking then?

No clue, just something I heard when I foolishly attended a meeting of the Cambridge Resident's Alliance (no, really, we're not NIMBY's, we have legitimate concerns!) a few years ago.

Back