Charles River Skatepark | East Cambridge

Re: Charles River Skatepark

Still no start date
http://www.northendwaterfront.com/h...roposed-charles-river-skatepark-under-za.html

DCR Issues RFP for Proposed Charles River Skatepark Under Zakim*Bridge

Monday, August 15, 2011
News regarding the development of a skatepark under the Zakim Bridge:

The Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) in collaboration with the Charles River Conservancy (CRC) has issued a request for proposals for future operation, management and maintenance of the proposed Charles River Skatepark. The proposed Charles River Skatepark would be constructed under the ramps of the Zakim Bridge in East Cambridge and would feature state of the art skating facilities designed by Grindline, a leader in the industry.

“We look forward to seeing the park built and thriving,” said Commissioner Edward M. Lambert, Jr. “We hope to find a company that shares our excitement and vision to manage this proposed park once it is completed.”

The DCR and CRC will continue to collaborate the planning of development and construction until completion, at which time, operation, maintenance and management responsibilities will be assigned to a selected contractor. The selected contractor will be charged with these duties for an initial five years, through the issuance of a permit. At the conclusion of the initial five years, DCR may decide to extend the contract for an additional five years. Funding for these operation and maintenance duties will be provided by the CRC.

The CRC began planning for the park in 2001 and has been responsible for raising the funds for the future management, operation, upkeep and maintenance of the park. Construction monies will come from the Big Dig Mitigation Fund.

“We are proud to be a part of this project, and hope that the final product will serve to better the community and help to foster more active use of the parklands,” said Renata von Tscharner, President of the Charles River Conservancy.

Interested individuals and organizations should submit proposals to the DCR by September 23, 2011, by 2:00 P.M. All proposals must include sections regarding description of entity and related experience, description of services to be provided, financial and budget information, and costs. The DCR will accept any questions regarding the proposal via mail or email until 5pm on August 29, 2011.

It looks like they are building the pedestrian bridge over the train tracks. Very slowly, but they're doing it.

woah! is that a full pipe with a 90 degree turn in it?! ambitious in both build and use.

I would imagine that most of the kids who wanted the park years ago are probably too old to ride it if it were completed now ;)

I remember the first time i read about this I was in my mid 20's, and even though I hadn't skated in about 10 years, I was thinking I'd pick up a deck and check it out. Now looks like it will be completed just prior to my 41st birthday. Such a waste.

how can they build this with such little money?

And it looks as if it can be instructive for several other perenial problems with parks:

" Gumpright is optimistic the Charles River location, which will be the largest skatepark in New England, will bring attention and new skaters to the sport.

"I don't think there's anything that can compare," he said. "It's going to be incredible."

Proposed pedestrian bridges will allow skateboarders to reach the park Cambridge, downtown Boston and Charlestown

The North Bank bridge, which links North Point Park to Revere Park in Charlestown, will be completed in June, von Tscharner said.

The partnership between the state and conservancy is similar to the agreement reached with the Friends of the Esplanade Playspace, a private group that built a playground on the Esplanade and then donated it to the state. "

this area would also be perfect for an outdoor public swimming pool....

I remember the first time i read about this I was in my mid 20's, and even though I hadn't skated in about 10 years, I was thinking I'd pick up a deck and check it out. Now looks like it will be completed just prior to my 41st birthday. Such a waste.

I hardly think it will be a waste for today's crop of 15 year olds. It doesn't have to be for you or me to be a valuable asset for the city's parks.

I know plenty of people in their 40s and even 50's that still skateboard.

I hardly think it will be a waste for today's crop of 15 year olds. It doesn't have to be for you or me to be a valuable asset for the city's parks.

Absolutely. My wording was off a bit there. It's a shame it's taken so long, but I'll be happy when it's complete.

At the risk of sounding overly cynical, I think Germany discussed tearing down the Berlin Wall for a shorter time than the govt. discussed building this fucking skatepark ;)

Seriously just laughed my a$$ off at this, LOL! So true, though.

Back