Charles River Skatepark | East Cambridge

Re: Charles River Skatepark

The CLICK HERE link didnt work

I want to see some of the different proposals, this spot would be cool for skate videos under all the bridges with cool veiws of the city and right next to the CR

Not to go all 'get those kids off my lawn'. But does this mean they will voluntarily or forcibly leave the Nashua Street Park.

Does it matter if they do? It's not like anyone actually lives anywhere near the Nashua Street Park.

I think it's a lovely park with pleasant views. It's near enough for workers to enjoy during lunch breaks. Rather less so when the path is blocked by 2-4 skaters and the noise of shredding on curbs. It seems a poor trade-off to me.

But to each his own. If others think it works than fair enough.

When I am walking through Copley Square and a skate boarder is coming my direct, I just stay my course and they always fall on their ass rather than run into me. So go ahead and sit wherever you want to sit and walk wherever you want to walk. The skate boarders are usually nice enough to go around you.

I think they use Nashua Street Park because there aren't many people there in the first place. If more people started using it, they would go somewhere else... like to the skate park if it ever gets built.

Isn't Nashua Street park pretty dead (except for the skaters) since Spaulding moved?

Nashua Street Park was already dead before Spaulding moved. It's in a pretty tough location squeezed in by the half empty hospital, the jail, and a highway overpass. If the kids want to exercise, let them exercise.

We were all 12 once and had our skateboards... but I definitely see a place for Boston (or any other city) to be tougher on skateboarders. I don't think skaters are a hazard to pedestrians in parks; however, they do ruin pretty much any surface in a park by waxing it for grinding.

You can spend $5 million on a beautiful park with fantastic stone finishes, but in a year's time it will look like trash if skaters are allowed to grease up every stone, wood, metal or plastic edge to grind on it. The Nashua Street Park is one example. An even more egregious one (both because the park is nicer and the damage is worse) is Columbus Circle in NY.

Nashua Street Park was already dead before Spaulding moved. It's in a pretty tough location squeezed in by the half empty hospital, the jail, and a highway overpass. If the kids want to exercise, let them exercise.

I meant more that it was mostly used by the Hospital. Lots of workers and patients. Lots of outdoor rehab.

A trip down to District 4 headquarters would do a lot of skateboarders a lot of good.

The CRC has selected ValleyCrest Development as General Contractor and California Skateparks as "Skatepark Builder". It's on their website. Looks like this is finally happening.

It'd be great to see this gigantic scam finally come to a conclusion. Seriously, in the time this has taken, some kids could have build the worlds greatest skate park for ~ $500.

Does this thing need to be so complex? The paving alone looks like it's going to run into trouble with maintenance and then where will we be? I though skateboarders couldn't care less about fancy detail and only wanted concrete or wooden things to slide up and down? My issue has always been with maintenance costs and long-term care of public facilities. Fancy isn't always smart.

Nah, there will always be kids who like skateboards and BMX.

Maybe, but I don't know. I was in that age bracket during the age of Tony Hawk Pro Skater and stuff, and I don't see nearly as much excitement around it now. I mean, Tony Hawk is somewhere north of 40 years old, and I haven't heard of any younger skaters in a decade.

The park may always get use, and it's under the highway so I'm not sure there's a better idea for that spot, but the layout plan looks like a palace that I'm not sure the interest will justify anymore.

Maybe, but I don't know. I was in that age bracket during the age of Tony Hawk Pro Skater and stuff, and I don't see nearly as much excitement around it now. I mean, Tony Hawk is somewhere north of 40 years old, and I haven't heard of any younger skaters in a decade.

The park may always get use, and it's under the highway so I'm not sure there's a better idea for that spot, but the layout plan looks like a palace that I'm not sure the interest will justify anymore.

Huh, we must be about the same age then. I skated in middle/high school and played a lot of Tony Hawk in college. I was better at the game than the real thing, haha.

The park doesn't need every kid in the Boston metro to show up after school everyday to be successful. Out of the our 4.5 million people (plus tourists and pros) I'm sure the place we be plenty busy. I think skateboarding will go completely out of style when pot does.

Back