said Ambrosino.
The meeting was scheduled
for this month, but will likely
come much later in the year.
“Something is going to go
there, however,” Ambrosino
said. “It is a very large site."

ZBA Approves Special Permit for Everett Ave

The Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) approved a special permit for a planned development of 692 apartment units in two high-rise buildings on Everett Avenue across from the high school during its meeting on Tuesday night, Oct. 13.

The project has been kicking around City Hall at the Planning Board and ZBA for many months, with the Planning Board just recently issuing a positive recommendation for a Special Permit without any conditions at a meeting early this month.

The project was approved at the ZBA on Tuesday with several conditions, though they weren’t immediately available.

The proposed number of units is 692, which would be located in two buildings across from Chelsea High School, along with 2,500 sq. ft. of retail space and a 726-vehicle parking garage.

http://www.chelsearecord.com/2015/10/16/zba-approves-special-permit-for-everett-ave/

"The Board did approve the Special Permit after deliberation, but the project still has a major hurdle to clear with Site Plan Review at the Planning Board. While the Board did give a special permit recommendation, it declined to issue the Site Plan approval – a much more involved process – until more information had been gathered."
Other online sites state that the city will not disclose details of this special permit but the project overall is not yet approved.
The traffic situation is pretty bad now and with the added 692 living spaces will make this area a nightmare to travel through

"The Board did approve the Special Permit after deliberation, but the project still has a major hurdle to clear with Site Plan Review at the Planning Board. While the Board did give a special permit recommendation, it declined to issue the Site Plan approval – a much more involved process – until more information had been gathered."
Other online sites state that the city will not disclose details of this special permit but the project overall is not yet approved.

The traffic situation is pretty bad now and with the added 692 living spaces will make this area a nightmare to travel through

Isn't the high school like... two blocks from the new Silver Line terminal?

5 stories? A high rise?

With 692 units it would be sprawling ????

It's a high-rise by Chelsea standards.

--

Here's the deal with development in Chelsea though. All these new units are great, but we as a city need to get serious about our population growth. We need a transportation plan. We need a plan for larger schools. We need a plan for commercial development to provide jobs for residents. This is a big sticking point of every community meeting. The massive Mary C Burke Elementary Complex (built in 1996) is already over-capacity and kids are having reading classes in the hallways. Over at Chelsea High School, kids are having to stand in classes because class sizes are out-of-control and there are no desks. Often at community meetings, people yell at developers & architects for this, but their anger is misplaced. It's the City of Chelsea that needs to adapt to this kind of radical growth.

Often at community meetings, people yell at developers & architects for this, but their anger is misplaced. It's the City of Chelsea that needs to adapt to this kind of radical growth.

I couldnt agree more, business is business for the developers. The city reps need to do a better job in accommodating city needs vs going for the money.
Everett Ave will be a nightmare from day 1 of construction...

It's a high-rise by Chelsea standards.

--

Here's the deal with development in Chelsea though. All these new units are great, but we as a city need to get serious about our population growth. We need a transportation plan. We need a plan for larger schools. We need a plan for commercial development to provide jobs for residents. This is a big sticking point of every community meeting. The massive Mary C Burke Elementary Complex (built in 1996) is already over-capacity and kids are having reading classes in the hallways. Over at Chelsea High School, kids are having to stand in classes because class sizes are out-of-control and there are no desks. Often at community meetings, people yell at developers & architects for this, but their anger is misplaced. It's the City of Chelsea that needs to adapt to this kind of radical growth.

I thought that a new school is being built on the site of the recently demolished old Chelsea High School on Crescent St.

I thought that a new school is being built on the site of the recently demolished old Chelsea High School on Crescent St.

The old high school is for middle schoolers only; his concerns are the younger and older kids. I'm not aware of the troubles at the school so I cant comment any further.

Based on some FB updates from city meetings:

The developer for the Chelsea Clock project is set to demolish the old building even after various people argued against that plan.

The Chinese Developers in charge of the old Forbes Project has made changes to their master plan but the project scale is still massive and traffic plans are unrealistic. Notes indicated a proposed underground parking lot, shuttle people on Golf Karts, and request the MBTA to build a commuter rail stop next to the project site.

New renderings have been made public for the Spencer Ave Project. There will be 34 Rental Apartments [5 1-bedrooms, 22 2-Bedrooms, and 7 3-Bedrooms] of which 4 units will be for <30% AMI and 30 units will be for <60% AMI.

spencer-eastern-corner-11-13-1511-1024x589.jpg

http://www.theneighborhooddevelopers.org/development-projects/upcoming-projects/242-spencer-avenue/

Last edited:
As a neighbor at One Webster, I will be speaking in support of 242 Spencer Ave (against my insane Mill Hill neighbors) at the ZBA meeting on the 8th and I will be writing in support for the Planning Board on the 15th, as I cannot attend.

Last edited:
Why are you calling it the Spencer Ave Lofts Project? It's not lofts in the slightest. It's just sorely-needed, truly-affordable apartments.

Updated the description. I was copying it from a FB post and then added the link to TND.

Back