Circle Cinema Redevelopment | Cleveland Circle | Brighton

Had the same thought. It's a beautiful modernist venue.

I was just thinking the same - it looks fantastic in that shot... I spent so much time there when younger but never appreciated the architecture... They should landmark this thing!

Demolition is under way in earnest. I hadn't noticed yesterday but it was hard to miss it today from the D. Snuck up on me so no picture.

The Circle Cinema is about halfway gone. Demolition is moving slowly.

xhC7ZJm.jpg

I have a vivid memory of my misspent youth, sharing a couple of bottles of Night Train with the lads before queuing up for the midnight showing of Tim Burton's Batman.

They should knock down the alewife movie theatre next...wonder how the older folks housing component will play out.

I have a vivid memory of my misspent youth, sharing a couple of bottles of Night Train with the lads before queuing up for the midnight showing of Tim Burton's Batman.

Hmm, I did the very same thing, same bat place, same bat theater....

My misspent youth from April's through October's and sometimes winter, too (when we mostly congregated in the Ryan Family Establishment in Kenmore instead) were entirely spent here. Man oh man.

Another week, only modest progress.

Check out how spindly the steel frame of this remaining box looks, and then check out how in the next pics how it's up on stilts, and how close it is to the Green Line tracks.

sUAn2xF.jpg

View from straight on - mighty rickety looking to me:

znXe504.jpg

view along the Green Line:

3jIGFcJ.jpg

I had my first kiss in this theater, which makes me sad to see it go. At the same time, it should of been gone like 15 years ago, so...progress.

I had my first kiss in this theater, which makes me sad to see it go. At the same time, it should of been gone like 15 years ago, so...progress.

I had my first kiss in this theater! Haha.

^ Some other really great pictures too on the BLDP website. Thanks for chronicling this.

I am scratching my head over the final stage of this demo. Being a D line daily commuter, I also have a stake in seeing them do the last stage without negative impacts to the T and us riders.

Any a-B posters with enough demo experience to speculate on how they pull this last bit down? Up until now, they’ve had the relative luxury of being able to just whack sections down with heavy machinery – no need for anything fancy or organized.

However, while the last box standing looks stable as it now sits on those stilts, I can’t perceive any single element that they could knock down or yank down roughly without badly compromising the structural integrity of the remainder. I’ve seen big hollow boxes like this get demolished (suburban mall demos, out in vast parking lots), and there comes a point where the whole thing just comes undone, the segments of the box detach from each other and fall every which way. Falling every which way is not an option here, the T is too close.
So, do they get a big steel cable around the entire thing and pull it to make it all fall in one heap away from the T tracks? Dismantle more slowly in smaller segments? Other ideas?

Also, this last box has been standing like this for a few weeks now. Any chance the T has inserted itself into the conversation? I’d be all in favor of that.

I am scratching my head over the final stage of this demo. Being a D line daily commuter, I also have a stake in seeing them do the last stage without negative impacts to the T and us riders.

Any a-B posters with enough demo experience to speculate on how they pull this last bit down? Up until now, they’ve had the relative luxury of being able to just whack sections down with heavy machinery – no need for anything fancy or organized.

However, while the last box standing looks stable as it now sits on those stilts, I can’t perceive any single element that they could knock down or yank down roughly without badly compromising the structural integrity of the remainder. I’ve seen big hollow boxes like this get demolished (suburban mall demos, out in vast parking lots), and there comes a point where the whole thing just comes undone, the segments of the box detach from each other and fall every which way. Falling every which way is not an option here, the T is too close.
So, do they get a big steel cable around the entire thing and pull it to make it all fall in one heap away from the T tracks? Dismantle more slowly in smaller segments? Other ideas?

Also, this last box has been standing like this for a few weeks now. Any chance the T has inserted itself into the conversation? I’d be all in favor of that.

Can you not just undermine the columns on the other side and let it fall? The other option would be to knock it down starting at the top and just work your way to the floor. If pieces fall on the table, it's not like the columns aren't supporting that dead weight already...

I'm not an expert, though.

Can you not just undermine the columns on the other side and let it fall? The other option would be to knock it down starting at the top and just work your way to the floor. If pieces fall on the table, it's not like the columns aren't supporting that dead weight already...

I'm not an expert, though.

If it were made up of small elements, I think knocking it down starting at the top and working down incrementally would work just fine. But see those tall exposed steel columns? Those are mirrored on the far wall. And the wall itself I think is long segments of prefab concrete (or prefab something - not sure it's concrete). I think it's going to come down all in big slabs no matter how they approach it, and that's my concern: once those slab start coming down, there won't be any stopping them.

Undermining the columns on the side away from the T holds more apparent promise, so long as one were certain the rest of the box would stay connected enough to come along with it. But if you pulled out those exposed columns, and the roof detached from it first, but then hinged down along the far roof/wall connection? Then you've got big roof sections pivoting down and slamming against the inside of the wall along the T. Not good.

I'm no expert, either. This one just looks awkward as hell. I'm sure there's a good, safe, way to do it, I'm just not seeing it.

They will have to do the same thing as 111 Boylston Street I would imagine, which is work between the hours of 1:00 am and 5:00 am when the MBTA can shut down power.

Back