Cities that are not Boston and may or may not be better.

JANAM

Reaction score
Because if you tell the Licensing Board and community it is going to be a down to earth bar and working man's pub ....... maybe no license!

Re: Fan Pier

Class warfare?

I thought this was a working class town. Or is that just another self-congratulatory lie (also known as a delusion)?

Speaking of destinations, they should zone part of the Seaport to allow a comeback for the Combat Zone. Just be sure there's a long taxi stand, so the conventioneers can get back to their Back Bay hotels.

Read the interim planning overlay district regs for the South Boston Waterfront. There's specific zoning against strippies. Because God for bid, tourists and longshoremen see a naked lady . . .

F*ck this city man. Why must the leadership be so shortsighted? It's beyond ridiculous. Let the place breathe. There is no doubt in my mind that Boston could be one of, if not the, greatest city in America. The bureaucracy stifles that potential. Honestly saddens me.

It is the greatest city in america, dont let the development of highrises fool you into believing otherwise. We are the leaders in technology, have the smartest people, the best schools, good public transportation, low crime, its easily walkable, close proximity to the airport, the ocean, more history than any other city in america, and I could go on all day. Yea I would like to see a lot more development happening but that in no way is a reflection of the greatness of the city. Just appreciate what we have already and welcome any new development that we get. Were lucky to live here. One day well have a supertall and then it will be perfect, but its a small city and if we develop too fast well run out of room for the future. This is the greatest city in america and since america is the greatest country I could argue its the best city in the world. This city is the capital of all of new england which is where america came from.

^^ comedians, sports, actors, the kennedys!, it goes on and on I dont care what anyone says this is the greatest place on the planet.

Last edited:

I wouldn't call Boston the greatest city in America. NYC has all of that +1. And our public school system isn't exactly great.

We don't need a supertall to be great. We need effective leadership.

I wouldn't call Boston the greatest city in America. NYC has all of that +1. And our public school system isn't exactly great.

Perhaps the city, but Massachusetts is always at the top, or near the top for public school systems.

We don't need a supertall to be great. We need effective leadership.

This.

However, as noted before, people want the suburbs to come to downtown, so they fight what makes a city a city.

Perhaps the city, but Massachusetts is always at the top, or near the top for public school systems.

Many those are (once again) in the suburbs. Newton and Brookline are on the subway and have good school systems... but that doesn't help families want to move into Boston.

New york is an absolutely amazing city as is chicago being American is great isnt it haha. But What sets boston apart from the other great cities like ny, chicago, la, etc is the compactness. Nyc is enormous has way more traffic than boston a lot more crime the airports are a lot farther away, but they have the street grid pattern which Ill admit gives it a huge advantage. The crazy streets of boston are good for a person who knows them all, but new york is so easy to navigate and its 10x the size of boston. You can find your way around much better with a grid. Its all about what you prefer and where your from. Boston is definately one of the most unique cities, and I love how everything is a walking distance away. I bet if i grew up in new york I would like new york much more. To me new york feels like boston on steroids. Its got taller buildings its a lot bigger and is easier to find your way around. I just love being an american and hopefully one day well have a high speed train going from boston to ny.

San Francisco is similar to Boston in regards to compact size and randomoness of its streets, and I feel that it is a superior city to Boston.

But yes, Boston is great.

^^^ Until the next major earthquake which geologists guarentee will happen (and that IS sad).

stick n move

Have you actually been to New York? Because I used to think the same way as you, until I actually went to New York. In my opinion, nobody whose ever been to New York and Boston could say that Boston is greater than New York unless they prefer a smaller atmosphere...and even in that case then, Boston wouldn't be a good city for them.

Don't get me wrong, I love Boston, but it can't compare to the energy and atmosphere of New York.

Boston may not be the greatest city in North America, but it's still better than NYC.

Other cities that may be better than Boston:
-Vancouver
-SF
-Portland
-Toronto
-Montreal
-Seattle

San Francisco is similar to Boston in regards to compact size and randomoness of its streets,

Randomness? San Francisco is largely a grid. Well, two grids butting up against each other, somewhat like South Boston.

The randomness is born of the vertical. All those hills ...

The ultimate randomness: from looking at a map, you can't tell how hilly it is. The street system was laid out by an East Coast surveyor in Gold Rush days. They must have neglected to inform him about the topography. If done today, San Francisco's streets would meander spaghetti-like along contour lines, and the city would lack its present character.

A fortuitous "mistake."

Somehow the spaghetti-like contour line grid sounds very interesting. Do you know of any real-world examples, by chance?

Imagine a terraced San Francisco. That would be wicked cool.

^^ The more recently developed parts around Twin Peaks, e.g., do conform to the spaghetti paradigm. And ablarc is right - it's just not SF, spectacular views and all.

You see it all over the East Bay hills - stunning, Mediterranean vistas - but no one's calling that The City.

Back