Cities that are not Boston and may or may not be better.

Re: Fan Pier

Boston may not be the greatest city in North America, but it's still better than NYC.

Other cities that may be better than Boston:
-Vancouver
-SF
-Portland
-Toronto
-Montreal
-Seattle

I can't speak for Vancouver, SF, Portland or Seattle (since I've only been to San Francisco once when I was 11), but depending on what you value in a city, Boston has Toronto beat. If you need to have the high rise buildings, Toronto's your place. Only New York has more buildings over 300 feet, though many of those are 70s apartment blocks that were dumped all over the city and therefore the downtown core pales compared to Chicago - hell, until recently even Boston had more buildings over 500 feet, even if Toronto has 5 buildings over 800 feet. But, it's also a massively large, spread out city that, while the metro area, at 5.5 million, is a bit larger than Boston's, the city feels a lot larger and not in the New-York-this-place-goes-on-forever-but-there's-so-much-to-do kind of way. In terms of density, the former city of Toronto (Toronto was merged with it's immediate suburbs to create the 'megacity' in 1997) was comparable with Boston. But if you examine density based on the area codes of the respective cities, the 617 area code has about 2 million people in 380 sq km. The 416 area code has 2.6 million in 630 sq km. So, you have only 700,000 residents living in an area only a little less than twice the size. So while downtown Toronto is dense, it quickly drops off vis-?-vis Boston and her close surroundings.

Furthermore, Toronto has megasuburbs to boot. Mississauga, Ontario is the largest suburb in North America, with an estimated 750,000 residents. Just to the north is Brampton with close to 500,000. This has resulted in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) being multi-polar, which reduces the popularity of downtown Toronto by allowing people to work, play and be social in their own, shitty suburbs (Brampton is a hole!). This also creates a small feeling.

Lastly, the transit system in Toronto makes the T look like the best thing since the third rail. For starters, the GTA has almost 10 individual transit agencies. That means if you want to go from Toronto to any of the suburbs without taking the commuter rail system (GO Transit), you have to take the subway to one of the designated transfer stations and then switch to the other transit system, paying the fare all over again. In Canada, transit is generally controlled by the municipality, and not regionalized like it is in the US (Vancouver and, increasingly, Montr?al are exceptions to this rule). Therefore, each time you cross a municipal boundary, you generally have to change systems.

The Toronto system, the TTC, is OK. The trains run with generally no more than a 6 minute headway from 06:00-01:30 (except for Sundays where the subway doesn't being until 09:00(!)). However, it has the same problems as the T with its unions as well as a cranky infrastructure that creates incredible traffic jams (like when a track switch freezes at rush hour). Furthermore, the union stronghold means that they are no where close to having anything resembling a smartcard system.

I practically have one foot in Toronto already and I admit the place is growing on me. One way Toronto beats Boston is the pride people take in the city. Maybe it's a 'New York effect' in that Toronto is the largest city in the country, home to much of the nation's money, fame, and fortune and is the number one tourist destination. As a result, there are always things going on, particularly in the Summer, both to the pleasure of residents and visitors alike. This manifests itself in a pride that is both pleasant to see coming from Boston, where so many people seem to be perpetually planning their escape, as well as annoying as many people are unaware of what goes on outside of the area defined as a local call.

Montr?al, on the other hand, steals my heart. It's an extremely compact city with great density, due to the fact that the city is on an island and the suburbs have only spilled over to the adjacent sides of the rivers that surround it in the past 30 years. It has a great, lively atmosphere and even though it can have some gritty areas still feels safe and alive. Though the 'European' character I find is overrated. Montr?al is no more Parisian than Boston is Londonian.

That said, Boston has it's own attributes that I don't need to tell any of you here. It'll always be my place of birth and I'll always be proud be from there even if Canada is now my 'home'. As for what's the "greatest", well that's up to everyone's opinions and tastes. I think Boston is the best city in the United States, though I admit there are some kickass cities I have yet to visit (or revisit, in San Francisco's case).

Somehow the spaghetti-like contour line grid sounds very interesting. Do you know of any real-world examples, by chance?

Sure -- Mission Hill in Boston and Corey Hill in Brookline.

I can't speak for Vancouver, SF, Portland or Seattle (since I've only been to San Francisco once when I was 11), but depending on what you value in a city, Boston has Toronto beat. If you need to have the high rise buildings, Toronto's your place. Only New York has more buildings over 300 feet, though many of those are 70s apartment blocks that were dumped all over the city and therefore the downtown core pales compared to Chicago - hell, until recently even Boston had more buildings over 500 feet, even if Toronto has 5 buildings over 800 feet. But, it's also a massively large, spread out city that, while the metro area, at 5.5 million, is a bit larger than Boston's, the city feels a lot larger and not in the New-York-this-place-goes-on-forever-but-there's-so-much-to-do kind of way. In terms of density, the former city of Toronto (Toronto was merged with it's immediate suburbs to create the 'megacity' in 1997) was comparable with Boston. But if you examine density based on the area codes of the respective cities, the 617 area code has about 2 million people in 380 sq km. The 416 area code has 2.6 million in 630 sq km. So, you have only 700,000 residents living in an area only a little less than twice the size. So while downtown Toronto is dense, it quickly drops off vis-?-vis Boston and her close surroundings.

Furthermore, Toronto has megasuburbs to boot. Mississauga, Ontario is the largest suburb in North America, with an estimated 750,000 residents. Just to the north is Brampton with close to 500,000. This has resulted in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) being multi-polar, which reduces the popularity of downtown Toronto by allowing people to work, play and be social in their own, shitty suburbs (Brampton is a hole!). This also creates a small feeling.

Lastly, the transit system in Toronto makes the T look like the best thing since the third rail. For starters, the GTA has almost 10 individual transit agencies. That means if you want to go from Toronto to any of the suburbs without taking the commuter rail system (GO Transit), you have to take the subway to one of the designated transfer stations and then switch to the other transit system, paying the fare all over again. In Canada, transit is generally controlled by the municipality, and not regionalized like it is in the US (Vancouver and, increasingly, Montr?al are exceptions to this rule). Therefore, each time you cross a municipal boundary, you generally have to change systems.

The Toronto system, the TTC, is OK. The trains run with generally no more than a 6 minute headway from 06:00-01:30 (except for Sundays where the subway doesn't being until 09:00(!)). However, it has the same problems as the T with its unions as well as a cranky infrastructure that creates incredible traffic jams (like when a track switch freezes at rush hour). Furthermore, the union stronghold means that they are no where close to having anything resembling a smartcard system.

I practically have one foot in Toronto already and I admit the place is growing on me. One way Toronto beats Boston is the pride people take in the city. Maybe it's a 'New York effect' in that Toronto is the largest city in the country, home to much of the nation's money, fame, and fortune and is the number one tourist destination. As a result, there are always things going on, particularly in the Summer, both to the pleasure of residents and visitors alike. This manifests itself in a pride that is both pleasant to see coming from Boston, where so many people seem to be perpetually planning their escape, as well as annoying as many people are unaware of what goes on outside of the area defined as a local call.

Montr?al, on the other hand, steals my heart. It's an extremely compact city with great density, due to the fact that the city is on an island and the suburbs have only spilled over to the adjacent sides of the rivers that surround it in the past 30 years. It has a great, lively atmosphere and even though it can have some gritty areas still feels safe and alive. Though the 'European' character I find is overrated. Montr?al is no more Parisian than Boston is Londonian.

That said, Boston has it's own attributes that I don't need to tell any of you here. It'll always be my place of birth and I'll always be proud be from there even if Canada is now my 'home'. As for what's the "greatest", well that's up to everyone's opinions and tastes. I think Boston is the best city in the United States, though I admit there are some kickass cities I have yet to visit (or revisit, in San Francisco's case).

I would probably say that Vancouver is the best city to live in the NA without actually living there or being there. From pictures I have seen and through other people's experience, Vancouver has a great night life, a decent transit system (though definitely small for a city with 570,000) that showcases automated trains, amazing natural environment, dense, and has a huge ethnic diversity.

Vancouver's architectural specialty used to be slender, small-footprint skyscrapers, like trees in a forest. Concepts like that are subject to steady attack by a public equipped with received wisdom.

It seems to me that Vancouver's buildings are growing fatter these days. Did they alter the zoning to allow bigger parcels? Hope not; it will erode the human scale of the whole city.

I don't know about Vancouver, Its been a number of years since I was last there, but I recall being disappointed. The place has an absolutely stunning skyline viewed from afar, much like Miami, and the natural beauty is top notch, but there was something missing from the streetscape. Relatively speaking, there is no there there. Seemed to be a bunch of residential high rises sprouting from very low rise pedestals. Many buildings have no relation to each other and the experience from the sidewalk was lacking. Contrast with San Francisco which is wonderfully engaging and stimulating.

"Greatest" is entire subjective. There's no doubt Boston is a great city, but greatest in the US? It depends on what qualities you put greater emphasis on.

FWIW, I lived in the NYC metro area for the first half of my life and, while big and abounding in career opportunities and entertainment options, NYC can also be a terribly suffocating place. Ever notice how desperate NYers are to leave the city every weekend from May through September? I've never experienced that to the same degree in any other place I've lived.

And I think for Manhattanites, it's more about cultivating a dynamic social circle (otherwise known as "social climbing") than just about any other city -- except perhaps LA and among the political class in DC. In NYC, it's all about who you can meet to further your career, or invite you to the Hamptons for the weekend, or get you into the hottest club.

Still, NYC is undeniably a great place -- perhaps the greatest city in the US -- but some may think that accolade could be given to SF, Seattle, Boston, Chicago. It all depends on what you value.

I agree. I was unimpressed by Toronto. I came expecting a "clean New York" and left felting that it lacked the urbanity, energy and beauty that comprise a great city. My impressions of Montreal were far better. I prefer Seattle to Vancouver but I haven't been there in ten years and perhaps things are different than I recall.

Boston may not be the greatest city in North America, but it's still better than NYC.

-Vancouver
-SF
-Portland
-Toronto
-Montreal
-Seattle

Boston is a unique city and has many bright spots. The entire city is walking distance but my favorite areas
Postives
Backbay
Boston Common
Newbury St. Area
North End
Beacon Hill

My favorite areas in Mass is Cambridge and Somerville.
Harvard, Union, Inman,Davis Square
Those area's are very full of life. especially in the spring.

I don't like
North Station (I miss the EL Green line)
South Station
Downtown (Disaster)
Fan Pier & Seaport area's need Life
South End
Aquarium
City Hall Area is a disaster
MBTA system needs a massive upgrade.

Greenway has potential but something is not right over their.

It's the area around South Station.

Personally, I like the area around SS. Once Russia wharf is done and people really start moving into Two Financial Centre, the area will be even better.

Personally, I think what city is better is up to opinion (which is obvious).

People have mentioned Miami. It is a decent city, but the actually city of Miami is not that nice. A good portion of their high rises are residential and look bland. South Beach, the best part of the area, is turning into an ugly wall of condos along the beach. They also have terrible traffic, terrible drivers and a poor transit system for a metro area its size. And also, too many people only speak Spanish. I am not racist, but Miami is in America and for someone who does not speak much Spanish, I felt a little out of place in a lot of situations.

Outside of Boston, the best cities in North America are Chicago, Vancouver, Toronto and San Francisco in my opinion.

New York is a great city. It's just simply too big in my mind. That and it feels like you have to be at least on the 9th or 10th floor to have any decent view of the sky throughout Manhattan.

Chicago is great because you get that massive feel (if that's what you like) but it does not feel overwhelming. That and I love how there is a river that flows right through the downtown core.

I would probably say that Vancouver is the best city to live in the NA without actually living there or being there. From pictures I have seen and through other people's experience, Vancouver has a great night life, a decent transit system (though definitely small for a city with 570,000) that showcases automated trains, amazing natural environment, dense, and has a huge ethnic diversity.

Vancouver is simply gorgeous. Portland and Seattle have similar settings, but Vancouver's is much larger. It also is great city to visit as I have a couple of times.

I would consider Vancouver the #1 city except for the Eastside, which, from all accounts, is one of the worst slums in all of North America. Can't they fix that?

We weren't disappointed in Toronto, the one time I've been there, although I did find the 20th-century architecture to be bland - not what I expected. It was February, though, so we weren't seeing it in its grandeur.

Oddly, two of the three times I've been subject to homophobia were in Toronto. The first was just a push from a couple of guys walking past us (yes, could have been them just showing their brute) and then the next night we were called "homos". If you know me, you know I'm pretty conservative in look and action, so it wasn't as if we were offending. Except for being, I guess.

BTW, the third time was walking from the North End toward City Hall - the bar that was (is?) next to the Bell 'n Hand. It opened at like 6 AM. It was around 7:30 AM and we were walking to work. I was so grouchy because I hated my job (I was working at the Boston office of JP Morgan Chase). Three guys came out of the bar, drunk, and shouted "Faggots!" at us. I turned around and shouted, "Would you please SHUT THE FUCK UP." It surprised me as much as it did them. They shut up, though.

From all accounts, Vancouver is a great city. I don't think I can count on my hands the number of times people have told me I'd love it. However, having met some Vancouverites, I don't think I could get around the people. Most of the people I've met and the experience of others could be best described as the crunchy granola of Seattle meets California flakiness.

It's also one of the most expensive in the world, for many of the reasons you mention. And given it's hemmed in by mountains to the east and north, an international border to the south and an ocean to the west, it is relatively limited in where the GVRD (Greater Vancouver Regional District) can grow. As a result, the average house sale is about $600,000. An 'affordable' condo in downtown Vancouver will run you about $300,000 for about 300 sq. ft.

I've also been told that it's rather sleepy for a city with metro area of 2.5 million. But, I fully admit that my opinions are completely based on hearsay and I truly hope to visit BC someday in order to form my own opinions.

JohnAKeith: Sorry to hear about your experiences. Toronto does a great job with racial harmonization (one of the biggest pluses to Toronto is the diversity) but unfortunately there are always a few bad apples.

When you guys talk about North America do you include Central America, which is really a part of N. America. If so my father has told me Guadalajara is beutiful and also has a median age of 26 or something like that. Lot of hot mamacitas down este.

Also I think we're blowing Vancouver a bit too much here. I'm sure its great, but really how many things make you say that's so Vancouver, whats it's distinction. I'm not the most worldly traveled, but if you say London, NY, LA, Paris, Being I could conjoure up somethings that most would associate w/ that city. Vancouver..... only if you've been there. And all the films that have been shot there, most arn't taking place in Vancouver. Also it's musical contributions, Nickleback, weak. So I'm sure it's great, but sure as shit ain't the grandest. Also I refuse to believe the eastside of Vancouver is worse than the eastside of Detroit, or Oakland etc...

This has turned into the personal revelations thread about Canadian cities, especially Toronto; so I guess I can?t be accused of self-indulgence if I join in.

First visit to Toronto was at least three decades back; I?d chased a girlfriend there, and she had disappeared into a den of hippie iniquity. ;)

I found her through Rockford Files deceptions; but simultaneously I discoverd a beautiful city that ?though smaller than Boston?was in most ways its equal.

I remembered that it had a fairly vast district of Nineteenth Century brick row houses that resembled Back Bay in that it was built on a grid --though three-story instead of five. And it was serviced by surface-rail streetcars.

Two decades later, I returned with a family I?d accumulated; and I found that the Toronto I remembered had vanished.

It had become a two-bit would-be ?rival? of New York without charm or much character. There were asphaltic, windwsept plains of parking; and there were gee-whiz Modernist buildings that bored with their ?originality.?

There was absolutely nothing that hinted of the boundless creativity of New York. And there was hardly anything to remind of when Toronto was a smaller Boston.

The people, however, were soft and friendly --like San Franciscans.

Also it's musical contributions, Nickleback, weak.

I can tell you only listen to boring ass Rock and maybe crappy hip hop. FYI, some of the best electronic music muscians (Industrial, New Wave, IDM) come from Van and still live there, i.e.: Skinny Puppy, OhGr, Download, Images in Vogue. Not to mention their rave scene is banging and their drug laws are waaaaay more relaxed than "avant garde" NYC.

People have mentioned Miami. It is a decent city, but the actually city of Miami is not that nice. A good portion of their high rises are residential and look bland. South Beach, the best part of the area, is turning into an ugly wall of condos along the beach.
South Beach is Miami Beach. It is not Miami, and it has a long way to go before it's ever spoiled for a city lover.

Miami, however, is a dump. No urbanist can take a shred of pleasure in it (not even in Coconut Grove, an outdoor mall).

Hi there everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

As someone with a history reverse that of erik's - ie, a native Torontonian who has now lived in Boston for 2.5 years, I felt I should just give a bit of my input regarding all the posts about Toronto that have come up.

In general I would agree with erik's assessment. "Old Toronto" is of comparable density to Boston and is increasing due to the recent increase in condo development, but due to the fact that much of Toronto's old housing stock comprises largely of single or semi-detached bay-and-gables rather than the rowhouses common in most older American cities, for a long time the city wasn't as dense. It is also true that the density drops off pretty quickly outside of the core. Most of the older "inner suburbs" consist mainly of bungalows and various other singles (not unsimilar to Brookline), with the newer ones being seas of cookie-cutter houses and McMansions interspersed with office parks. Mississauga and Brampton, as erik mentioned, are some of the worst offenders, and another inner suburb, Scarborough, has earned the bad name of "Scarberia". However, with the recent provincial regulations to curb sprawl and protect the Greenbelt around Toronto, many suburbs are getting intensified and some are already developing their own downtowns complete with condos, townhouses and office towers. Developments in the past 15 years in one of the amalgamated suburbs, North York, have already turned it into a major urban centre that can even rival some smaller cities.

Transit is indeed one of the weakest links in Toronto, even though it has one of the highest riderships among all systems in the US or Canada, both in terms of absolute numbers and per route length. What the subway lacks in coverage (with its 2 and 2-half lines), it makes up for it with frequency (generally no more than 5 min and as high as 2 min during peak), and arguably its bus and streetcar network does an excellent job with covering the grounds and feeding passengers into the subway. Expansion has stayed relatively stagnant in the past two decades, largely because of unsympathetic provincial and federal governments that consistently underfund transit in Toronto (the TTC recovers 70% of its revenue from the farebox, highest in North America). But recent progress with at least 3 LRT lines and 2 (possibly 3) subway extensions, plus a potential new subway line in downtown, would likely change things for the better in the next decade or so.

This dearth in transit funding ties to a bigger problem that Toronto faces. Many people in the rest of the country hates Toronto - the West, for their impression that the country is run by Toronto, and Quebec, for their general disdain with English Canada and for looking down on Toronto as a latecomer and as culturally inferior. In the 90s Toronto was hit especially hard by recession, coupled with first a left-wing provincial government that bankrupted the province, then a right-wing one that favoured the rural and suburban ridings much more than the cities. As a result Toronto has stayed really stagnant, even regressed quite a bit, through those years. And unlike what erik says, Toronto is notorious for its inferiority complex. It is true, however, that in recent years the civic pride has gotten much better, with more and more large scale civic events and parades that attract ever higher attendance, major renovations done to our museums, new performance venues, and citizens taking increasingly more pride and participating more in the city's urbanity, culture, and vibrant multiculturalism.

An indication of Toronto's vitality is how well it fared in the recent recession. While Canada as a whole, except for the manufacturing sector, already fared pretty well compared to the rest of the world and especially the US, Toronto went through it with an almost unprecedented boom. 2-3 dozens condos, 4 luxury hotels and 5 major office towers are in various stages of construction or were recently completed, and at least 5 major residential or mixed-use projects are about to or just getting off the ground. Architecture aficionados will probably deride most of the recent construction as uncreative glass boxes, but as a layperson I would have to say it is not that bad at all, and some of the recent ones under construction or to be constructed are in fact rather outstanding. As well, with the financial crisis pushing many of its competitors over, Toronto's role as a global financial centre is only going to strengthen (it surpassed Boston last year), and the development that comes with it.

Toronto is still an incredibly young city. It only celebrated its 175th birthday last year, and for more than 2/3 of that time it was no more than a small industrial town and provincial backwater. It still has a long way to go to shake off its inferiority complex, but the past decade has seen much progress and I have confidence it is only going to get better. Having grown up there and left it feeling rather fed up and disappointed with it, every time I go back now I am more surprised and impressed by it.

As for whether Toronto or Boston is better, I don't think any comparison is really fair, if anything because they are in such different stages of their history (and a much shorter one for Toronto). I have loved Boston in the past 2.5 years that I've been here. It is a beautiful city with a rich culture, and its importance in my field (bio research) is almost unparallelled. However, having followed this board for the past 2 years and have seen how the city operates firsthand, I also definitely shares the frustration expressed by many board members. Like Toronto, I see a lot of potential in Boston, but for some reason, at least in the past few years, it hasn't seemed to be realizing much.

Regarding Vancouver, having lived there for a few years, revisited it last year and have friends still there, I would have to say it is overrated. Its natural setting sure is beautiful, but I, and many of my friends, would have to say it is a rather boring place; the overwhelmingly grey weather certainly doesn't help. Eastside Vancouver (or for that matter, any "slums" in major Canadian cities) is not nearly as bad as the American counterparts, but it is true that crime has worsened significantly in the past decade or so, fuelled by narcotics and Asian gangs (and I am saying this as an ethnic Asian). It is still a great city, and its progress has been impressive in the past 2 decades, but having seen more since I moved on from it, I would have to say it is hardly the "best" city in North America.

So there, my rather long rant.

Last edited:

I listen to rock, funk, soul, blues, motown, r + b, reggea, salsa, merengue, hip hop, jazz, which includes acid, be-bop, hard-bop and fusion. All of which blows techno bullshit out of the water. Dj's are dj's, they arn't musicians and what every they spin today will be forgotten tommorow. Further more NYC created hip hop, was a huge player in the evolution of jazz, and to most people's surprise bore Salsa, yes Spanish Harlem created this sound in response to what the Carribean was doing at the time. It's musical profile is undisputably far more massive than Vancouver's. And I suppose Vancouver has some crazy raves, but Brooklyn warehouse raves are no joke either.

Last edited:

-Vancouver
-SF
-Portland
-Toronto
-Montreal
-Seattle

I hate how everybody forgets that north america has 40 other countries with dozens of amazing cities.

GW2500

You know absolutely nothing about electronic dance music since you just defined it as "techno." I can already tell you're one of those "NYC created everything that's original" people. Let me school you at least on EDM, which I'm sorry to say is popular everywhere in the world except the U.S.A.. All major contributors to EDM were not from NYC, for example:

Electro - Berlin (Kraftwerk anybody?)
Detroit Techno - Duh....Detroit
Chicago House - Holy shit....Chicago!!

So where oh where is NYC in this picture? Well, since NYC producers lack creativity they just copied the above genres and made minor changes.

Hip Hop - used Electro beats and got an MC to make it "tuff." Oh yeah and I need to point out that the MC originated from mother fuckin JAMAICA rhyming to Dub music. Disco beats were also a source of inspiration, but since it didn't rely soley on drum machines, sythesizers, and samplers I'll exclude it for now.

Garage - Basically a bunch of NYC dj's spinning Chicago House at a club called "Garage" loved the music so much they just had to make their own tracks and re-label the genre as "Garage Music." VERY ORIGINAL!!!

Now you gotta fast forward a few years and the Detroit and Chicago sounds take off all throughout Europe and new music scenes start sprouting, i.e.: Britain's Acid House scene, the Belgian New Beat scene, and lets not forget all those crazy German parties!!! Now we start seeing new dance genres start to emerge; trance, hardcore, jungle, etc...

Where am I going with this? NYC didn't start this music scene, it just copied it and is no match for the creativity that came out of Detroit, Chicago, London, and Berlin.

Oh yeah...and I've been to some awesome dance parties in NYC, but your precious city still can't compete with the party scenes from Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver.

Last edited:

Back