City Hall Discussion - Redevelopment - Preservation - Relocation

Re: Menino Proposes Selling City Hall

Hub planners envision more vibrant City Hall
By Thomas Grillo
Thursday, December 9, 2010 - Updated 3 hours ago

Boston?s Government Center Plaza, reviled as an eyesore for decades, could be transformed into an oasis where skaters could frolic, cosmopolitan strollers could sip cocktails and tourists could find relief under leafy glades, according to one architect speaking on the eve of a City Hall brainstorming forum.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1301895

?There?s nothing pleasant or comfortable about Government Center Plaza today. Let?s get rid of the brick, line the edges with trees and kiosks and make it a place where people want to visit,? said Bill Taylor of Boston landscape architecture firm Carol R. Johnson Associates, which designed Chinatown Park on the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway.

Taylor spoke as a group of architects plan to gather today at a public ?Greening Government Center? symposium organized by the Menino administration and the Boston Redevelopment Authority intended to reimagine the barren, windswept plaza.

?The mayor has made it very clear to me and the design team that he doesn?t want this to be a plan that sits on the shelf,? said James Hunt, the city?s chief of environmental and energy services. ?He wants to see some low-cost and implementable improvements to the public realm.?

Taylor, who will not be on today?s panel, suggests:

? Adding an ice skating rink ? like the one at Rockefeller Center ? with a below-grade restaurant

? Wrapping the plaza with a grove of trees

? Adding restaurants, cafes and a beer garden

?  Creating a contemporary mini Public Garden

?It has to be a purposeful destination that people want to bring their kids to,? Taylor said while touring the plaza with a Herald reporter. ?It?s important that we design this to be the capital of New England.?

That was always the idea, said one of the plaza?s original planners.

?It?s a tragedy. We imagined a green space with grass, trees and paths ? a smaller version of the Boston Common,? said Henry Cobb, an author of the 1961 Government Center master plan by Pei Cobb Freed & Partners Architects LLP in New York. Cobb said the early plan was for a much smaller building with a larger open space similar to Boston Common.

But Back Bay architect Kallmann McKinnell & Knowles settled on the controversial Brutalist building with its vast brick plaza ? a design hailed by many at the time as cutting-edge, but treated with increasing disdain in ensuing decades. The firm did not return calls seeking comment.

Now, city officials see a rare opportunity to remake the plaza next year in the wake of the MBTA?s planned face-lift of the Government Center T Station.

The city?s goal is to devise low-cost improvements that can be implemented in 2011. And architects are welcoming the chance.

?Whether you love it or hate it, City Hall is a building of architectural significance,? said Janet Marie Smith, a former Fenway Park [map] architect, who will be on today?s panel. ?But the plaza never reaches full potential unless there?s activity ? like the celebration of a World Series victory ? so it?s a real challenge to make it work for those civic events as well as for day-to-day life.?

City Hall makeover:

A midtown-style skating rink? What's wrong with the Frog Pond?

A "mini-Boston Common"...? What's wrong with the real Boston Common (a quarter mile away)!

Beer garden and cocktails? I seem to remember a thriving nightlife scene just on the other side of City Hall...

We always need more open space, don't we? After all, the Greenway certainly isn't enough...

(...Well, anyway, isn't the city virtually broke?)

Why doesn't anyone say the obvious: build up the plaza, especially the edges, leaving a smaller but more active space in the middle which would be far more similar to the fully-enclosed piazza in Siena that alledgedly inspired this mess. Land sales and taxes will provide new revenue for the city. Make the space useful by reinstating the street grid: reconnect Hanover, re-open Cornhill Street and the extension of Washington. Do these obvious ideas ever come up for serious consideration?

Rule #1: Buildings bad, open space good.

Last edited:

I liked the skating rink idea. Frog Pond occasionally gets too crowded, IMO.

I'd much rather see something actually built, though...

They forgot to suggest a carousel and farmers market.

Well, the Farmer's market is already there....

^ Then that farmers market needs a carousel. Or how about a farmers market within a farmers market?

This city's got a fever, and the only cure is more farmers markets.

^ Then that farmers market needs a carousel. Or how about a farmers market within a farmers market?

This city's got a fever, and the only cure is more farmers markets.
Speaking of that...how 'bout a giant Cowbell? Eh?

A giant cowbell in the middle of Gov't Center? Abstract, outsider art that you can witness when you come out of the renovated Scollay Sq/Gov't Center Station.

Seriously, I like this idea to rip and green it. If they can do it to Fenway, then they can do it to City Hall. No need to move it to the "Seaport District." Also, love ya Janet Marie Smith. You deserve to be on this panel. Sorry that JH had to give you the old hee-hoo for his trophy wife.

I'm sorry I even spent the time reading that article.

yo dawg i heard you like green space, so we put green space in yo green space so you can have no shadows while you have no shadows!

What's behind the Herald giving a giant platform to one random planner excluded from that panel?

I'd guess that no one else would provide details of ideas, or speak on the record to a reporter ahead of the presentation.

I'd guess that no one else would provide details of ideas, or speak on the record to a reporter ahead of the presentation.

I actually have no clue why they even printed this story. The city is completely BROKE. They can't even afford funding to keep teachers or schools open in Boston but we have money to build skating rink.
Whatever.....................

The city isn't broke. There are hundreds of millions of dollars in cash reserves AND the city budget has increased every year over the last ten years. It's all about politics, graft, and inefficiency.

The city isn't broke. There are hundreds of millions of dollars in cash reserves AND the city budget has increased every year over the last ten years. It's all about politics, graft, and inefficiency.

Won't the state pensions eat through that money if tax revenues begin to decline and lead us to a similiar situation Cali is in?

I actually have no clue why they even printed this story. The city is completely BROKE. They can't even afford funding to keep teachers or schools open in Boston but we have money to build skating rink.
Whatever.....................

They're closing schools because there are at over 5,000 empty seats in the schools.

Their most recent tally of 5,758 empty seats counts only the excess capacity in classrooms staffed by teachers, officials said in interviews this week. It does not account for the surplus space that exists in no-longer-used classrooms or those that have been converted into storage and meeting rooms as student enrollment has dropped.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma..._seats_in_boston_public_schools_not_complete/

I spoke to a well-placed authority on the subject two weeks ago who told me he was fairly certain that the City is broke, and in fact -- the BRA is also broke.

On a related note, a developer in our neighborhood is being asked to pay for the installation of a traffic signal on a street 1/2 mile away from the project as part of the negotiated "community benefits" package. The community has very little input in the private negotiations over what is routinely publicized as "community benefits."

Last edited:

BRA should leaf it alone, stick to its basic mission
By Michele McPhee
When it comes to the greening of Government Center, as City Hall wonks want to do, I?m with former President Ronald Reagan, who famously said: ?A tree is a tree. How many do you need to look at??

I?m all for green space. I love the Eastie parks that abut my own condo. I spend tons of time at Christopher Columbus Park in the North End. Who doesn?t like to stroll through the Rose Kennedy Greenway?

But the idea that the Boston Redevelopment Authority is holding a day-long symposium on the ?Greening of Government Center? at the Boston Public Library is laughable. Bostonians have come to appreciate the concrete and brick expanse that is City Hall Plaza. Besides, an urban hub like Boston is supposed to be built of brick and mortar. It?s a city, for heaven?s sake.

Doesn?t the BRA have anything better to do ? like living up to the word ?redevelopment?? Look at the East Boston waterfront: It?s lined with housing projects. A long-awaited luxury waterfront building that would have sported the most spectacular view of Boston in the state has been stalled, apparently permanently. Worse, the broke developer left behind a complete mess, destroying a swath of neighborhood that should be expanded as part of the gorgeous Piers Park.

Downtown Crossing continues to fester as an eyesore, a crime-ridden nightmare, despite an infusion of new upscale eateries such as Petit Robert Bistro and Mantra. And given City Hall Plaza?s proximity to the Common ? which has lots of trees last time I checked ? and the pristine Boston Public Garden, one would think the BRA would invest more energy into luring businesses to Downtown Crossing, once the Christmas shopping center of the city.

Speaking of businesses, that?s another task the BRA is charged with: trying to create more opportunities for the small entrepreneur. But many owners of small businesses complain that the agency is a labyrinthine bureaucracy that thwarts new opportunity rather than encourages it.

I love this city, and of course any attempts to beautify it are welcome.

But at a time when we have quadruple homicides in Mattapan and children getting shot dead on street corners, it seems that a crime-fighting symposium would be a bit more relevant.

And at a time of financial crisis and unemployment, the BRA should be coming up with ways to bring business into Boston and create jobs with new buildings, rather than mulling how many trees to plant outside the parking clerk?s office

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/co...uld_leaf_it_alone_stick_to_its_basic_mission/

Back