City Hall Plaza Revamp | Government Center

Re: Offical City Hall Plaza Proposals

That would be a 'coprolite', if we're being technical ;-)

31384694540_de52c1bb28_b.jpg

I visited Monday night. It's pretty bland when the sun is up, but it's pretty magical at night after dark with City Hall looming in the background lit in red & green and all the lights on in the chalets. A lot of people, myself included, were tripping over uneven bricks in the dark though.

I visited Monday night. It's pretty bland when the sun is up, but it's pretty magical at night after dark with City Hall looming in the background lit in red & green and all the lights on in the chalets. A lot of people, myself included, were tripping over uneven bricks in the dark though.

I had a similar experience regarding the bricks. I stopped by last week to check out Christmas Markets - it's a great use of the plaza and it was busy. Lots of people ice skating. Getting a shot of the BOSTON sign was very tough as a lot of other people had the same idea.

I've visited twice now. I'd give it a 6.5/10. Some notes:

-It's small, but the space is utilized well. It has a good sense of place and provides a good atmosphere (as observed, it's better at night) in spite of the less than aesthetically pleasing sheds.

-I'm actually impressed with the quality of vendors. Having visited similar markets across London and in Edinburgh earlier this month, I'm pleasantly surprised that Boston's isn't selling the same kitcshy knick-knacks that the markets in those cities are peddling. (though aesthetically, those are much, much nicer).

-I'm glad you can peruse with booze, but an outdoor bar would have been a plus. This is the only "German" Christmas Market I've visited that doesn't have a few beer stalls and an outdoor bar for people to gather for drinks. Yes, a few sheds (in addition to the urban lodge) sell beer/wine, but it's not the same.

-I wish it were more open. I hate that there are only two entrances. I love that in most cities that have similar markets, you can kind of just walk in/out from any direction. The shopping/food/beverage stalls conform to the paths of the park/plaza the market occupies and the natural flow of pedestrian traffic just happens to pass through. If what I'm describing is akin to a bustling Main St. shopping district, the market at city hall is a shopping mall (albeit, a vibrant one). I just don't like the metal fencing blocking entrance/egress from all but one side. I understand the necessity (booze, equipment for power/skating, etc.) but it's not as welcoming as I'd hope for.

-The skating rink is cool, but I don't know that it's necessary for the market (or if it can't coexist outside of the market). Combined with the rink itself, the equipment and Zamboni shed takes up a ton of space. At least half (or more) of the total area of the market. I'd rather see more vendors and destination shops than that much space dedicated to skating which can be done a 10 minute walk away in a similarly picturesque setting. A larger, central visual element (a giant illuminated tree, etc.) or a *gulp* Ferris Wheel (a nice one- not the one from the local carnival) would be more traditional, still serve as an attraction, and open up a bit more space (hopefully improving flow).

Anyway, I'm happy to have it, and I'm hopeful for improvements going forward.

ok, that's enough! People: you are having wayyy too much fun at the Plaza!!

This is the only "German" Christmas Market I've visited that doesn't have a few beer stalls and an outdoor bar for people to gather for drinks.

What country are your points of comparison in? I've never seen a US "German-style" Christmas market sell any alcohol (other than in a special, closed tent or structure), unfortunately. New York has 3 wildly popular outdoor Christmas markets (Columbus Circle, Bryant Park, Union Square) ... but the hardest-core thing you can drink while strolling in those is hot (non-alcoholic) apple cider.

The mulled wine is a bit overpriced at 10 bucks a cup but it is good. I also love how you can walk around with your cup of wine/beer inside of the marketplace.

Well, was nice while it lasted...

Zamboni just drove through the wall of the ice rink & down the stairs.

617 Images Boston ‏@617Images 11m11 minutes ago
PHOTO: Boston - City Hall Plaza - Zamboni resurfacing ice at #BostonWinter drove through boards & down stairs. Rink is closed. @universalhub

https://twitter.com/617Images/status/812443896420634624

C0ZhaM-UsAABYD0.jpg:large

John Gage ‏@foryourinfo1x 12m12 minutes ago
@universalhub ice wall smashed

https://twitter.com/foryourinfo1x/status/812443950095155200

C0Zhb_bXUAUY7is.jpg:large

Only in Florida!!

Gonna need a stronger catch fence over the tri-oval!!

Last edited:

I was there when it happened. I was looking the there way but I heard the crowd. Can't wait to hear the story.

Best part is that the Zamboni is decorated like a Green Line train. Couldn't be any more perfect!

Did you do this LrFox?

What country are your points of comparison in? I've never seen a US "German-style" Christmas market sell any alcohol (other than in a special, closed tent or structure), unfortunately. New York has 3 wildly popular outdoor Christmas markets (Columbus Circle, Bryant Park, Union Square) ... but the hardest-core thing you can drink while strolling in those is hot (non-alcoholic) apple cider.

Fair point. My points of comparison are all outside of the US. I've also been to Bryant Park, but wasn't really thinking of it.

Did you do this LrFox?

Yes- but it was an accident. The surface of the rink is surprisingly slick.

Yes- but it was an accident. The surface of the rink is surprisingly slick.

I've actually seen quite a few pedestrians fall! They should really do something about that. Hopefully they will start putting down some sand and salt.

:)

Well, was nice while it lasted...

Zamboni just drove through the wall of the ice rink & down the stairs.

617 Images Boston ‏@617Images 11m11 minutes ago
PHOTO: Boston - City Hall Plaza - Zamboni resurfacing ice at #BostonWinter drove through boards & down stairs. Rink is closed. @universalhub

https://twitter.com/617Images/status/812443896420634624

C0ZhaM-UsAABYD0.jpg:large

John Gage ‏@foryourinfo1x 12m12 minutes ago
@universalhub ice wall smashed

https://twitter.com/foryourinfo1x/status/812443950095155200

C0Zhb_bXUAUY7is.jpg:large

Should move/consolidate the stairs. Not just for Zamboni's sake. They just limit the usable space unnecessarily and there is no need for the terraces.

Back