City Hall Plaza Revamp | Government Center

Re: Offical City Hall Plaza Proposals

I'm sure they will look better once dressed up with Christmas lights and reefs.

Sometimes I am simply amazed by the level of negativity on this forum for anything that is not a Pelli designed super tower. I think the winter plaza is going to be a great success and be a very welcome center of activity between Quincy market and DTX. And it will infinitely be better than the barren open space it is today. Kudos to Mayor Walsh for making something happen here.

There must be "good elves" and "bad elves" in the holiday market, because some of the sheds have windows, and some do not.

Not to be Debbie Downer here, but those certainly look like the storage sheds people put in their suburban back yards to store the lawn mower. Yawn.

JeffDowntown -- Its not the quality of the sheds that matters -- its what is in them and how each shed enhances the overall effect -- Europe knows how to do these -- they should have hired a European consultant

Krakow
Jarmark-Bo%C5%BConarodzeniowy-Krakow.-620x330.jpg
475x280-christmas-markets-krakow.jpg

Munchen
1065-7.jpeg

JeffDowntown -- Its not the quality of the sheds that matters -- its what is in them and how each shed enhances the overall effect -- Europe knows how to do these -- they should have hired a European consultant

Munchen
1065-7.jpeg

The backdrop helps a lot too. I love the market in Munchen.

Sometimes I am simply amazed by the level of negativity on this forum for anything that is not a Pelli designed super tower. I think the winter plaza is going to be a great success and be a very welcome center of activity between Quincy market and DTX. And it will infinitely be better than the barren open space it is today. Kudos to Mayor Walsh for making something happen here.

Eh, I think the criticism of the structures is fair. A huge draw at these markets is atmosphere and suburban garden sheds don't really create much of one. We'll see. But the initial impression isn't good. For a non-European example, here's Quebec City's:

marche-de-nol-allemand-171.jpg

Maybe they'll wrap the shit out of them with garland and lights and they'll look better. But until that happens, it's understandable that people may find Boston's to be uninspiring.

Eh, I think the criticism of the structures is fair. A huge draw at these markets is atmosphere and suburban garden sheds don't really create much of one. We'll see. But the initial impression isn't good. For a non-European example, here's Quebec City's:

marche-de-nol-allemand-171.jpg

Maybe they'll wrap the shit out of them with garland and lights and they'll look better. But until that happens, it's understandable that people may find Boston's to be uninspiring.

^ But those look precisely like garden sheds with garland and lights. Why would you assume ours won't be decorated?

Does anyone know about the Christmas Expo run by the Archdiocese on the Boston Common in (if i'm not mistaken) 1968, and scaled back in subsequent years? I read an article about it and saw pictures. Massive, w/ visitors from all parts of the US.

Talk about a major difference - the backdrop in Munich kills ours here in Boston.

As someone once said when this was first proposed in the early 60's: "Where are the gas pumps?"

400px-Boston_city_hall.jpg

Purely by coincidence, the Home Depot had a garden shed clearance sale last week

I'm going to have a fairly hard time describing this, but this was a thought that I had the last time I was in Gov. Cent:

The new station aligns pretty well towards a pedestrian (and handicap accessible) continuation of the path going from the station down to the northwest? corner of the site where it meets Congress street. The path would smooth the hard transitions of the steps, and could meander a bit, while using the steps as terraces for plantings and sitting areas. If my site lines are correct, it would preserve the area that is currently a "winter garden". It would provide a nice, easy way to get to Haymarket and then the North End. I really feel like the way they set up the pathways using trees and sloping grade around Gov. Cent Station has opened area up to be a true "meeting place".

I'm going to have a fairly hard time describing this, but this was a thought that I had the last time I was in Gov. Cent:

The new station aligns pretty well towards a pedestrian (and handicap accessible) continuation of the path going from the station down to the northwest? corner of the site where it meets Congress street. The path would smooth the hard transitions of the steps, and could meander a bit, while using the steps as terraces for plantings and sitting areas. If my site lines are correct, it would preserve the area that is currently a "winter garden". It would provide a nice, easy way to get to Haymarket and then the North End. I really feel like the way they set up the pathways using trees and sloping grade around Gov. Cent Station has opened area up to be a true "meeting place".

As soon as they demo all the ground level offices and open it all up then people can just walk down to Congress St however they like. I want to see daylight through the base of city hall.

While still a work in process, the new Govt T station has changed the space between it and City Hall for the better. Admittedly, it couldn't get any worse so it's pretty easy to improve the area, but still, it just feels much less forlorn now, at least in my opinion.

Atlantaden -- just needs cooperative wintry weather -- i.e. let it snow

As of Dec 1 the rain just stopped and weather-wise its late September only the early sunset will give you a clue

Looks like they are refrigerating the ice for the rink, so as long as we avoid downpours we should be OK.

Back