City Hall Plaza Revamp | Government Center

Re: Offical City Hall Plaza Proposals

"Not saying we're going to go with this one, but my granddaughter was coloring at school at came up with this rendering ..."

There is a long history of urban amusement parks in historic cities the world over.
That is hardly a convincing argument against this particular concept.

The better argument is that this is an ill conceived, lazy attempt to correct Boston's biggest urban renewal blunder, one that has so severely cut-off the North End from the Back Bay for decades that citizens resort to using crosstown parkways to get from point A to point B.

If Boston decided at long last to finally reconnect Hanover Street with Cambridge Street as a part of this concept, I would be the first person in line for that damn Ferris Wheel.

I concur. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tivoli_Gardens
tivoli-copenhagen.jpg

They need to change Tremont to a 2 way and reconnect Hanover above anything.

I think the stairs need to go to create a more clearly defined pedestrian street, but why do cars need to be able to drive on it for you to consider it a street?

Ferris wheel would be ten times better at Parcel 12 on the greenway. In that crescent shaped area next to the ramps where the History museum was supposed to go. Views would be awesome. Those are the pictures you want people taking of their time in Boston

Fake lake= largest open urinal in Boston......must be stopped

The London Eye is 443 feet tall. A 200 foot wheel will be less than 1/4 the area (let's use that as a measure of "presence") of the Eye. I'm not saying we need the world's tallest anything, but it will not carry anywhere near the same awe and grandeur you might associate with the Eye.

Also, the Eye is sited along the Thames with a sweeping view of London--there's lots of other places in Boston where you could get a decent view of the city and Harbor (near Aquarium, points along the Greenway, etc.) but on the CH Plaza it will just be a glorified (and incongruous) kiddie ride.

At this point I would rather see Congress & Harbor Garage developed before they propose anything here.
I believe those two development alone will change the landscape of the city.
Then start to build ideas on what the plaza should turn into.
I think the plaza should be sold off and build more housing units around a nice park.

At this point I would rather see Congress & Harbor Garage developed before they propose anything here.
I believe those two development alone will change the landscape of the city.
Then start to build ideas on what the plaza should turn into.
I think the plaza should be sold off and build more housing units around a nice park.

11 acres or whatever it is is not even a very big park as it is now. It just feels barren and expansive because of all the damn brick and concrete.

11 acres or whatever it is is not even a very big park as it is now. It just feels barren and expansive because of all the damn brick and concrete.

I feel like Congress and Harbor Garages will redefine their entire areas. I would rather see those developed first.
Then start with the ideas on what city-hall area should evolve into.

We could also look into blowing a hole underneath City hall and build a massive parking lot underground. Then build residential 1 room lofts around and overlooking a soccer-field/IceSkatingRink/ and other unique ideas for in the middle of the area.

I just would like to see those above garages gone first before they start developing empty space.
Plenty of time to develop great ideas for empty space.

Above garages are Walls of concrete that only depress the surroundings of an area: Focus on developing those areas first.
Don't destroy the views of everything that i love seeing like walking thru City Hall Plaza seeing the open space of the surrounding areas of the city.

Last edited:

Rockefeller Center in the Summer

rockcenter_t2.jpg

From Delaware North's website.

Skating in winter, beer garden in Summer seem like pretty sure things to be successful at bringing people to the plaza and should be pretty well settled as part of the planning.

Knock down old city hall and start fresh. No need to put a bandaid on a severed femoral artery. Start from a blank canvas and make it all work together or else its going to be half assed no matter what.

Knock down old city hall and start fresh. No need to put a bandaid on a severed femoral artery. Start from a blank canvas and make it all work together or else its going to be half assed no matter what.

Stick -- General response is that isn't going anywhere

However -- a bit however -- there is precedent in another domain -- in the Federal Convention of 1787 that was called to fix the problems of interstate trade with the Articles of Confederation -- Well they just tore it up and gave us the US Constitution

So Perhaps the public comment process might lead to taking the idea to task level the Ugly City Hall and start over with a cluster of streets and lots -- aka Scollay Sq.

There is a long history of urban amusement parks in historic cities the world over.
That is hardly a convincing argument against this particular concept.

I agree. Here's an example of an urban amusement park in Tokyo: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.705...4!1sKk7Ehoj_DsuQ2qUVw58dXQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Note that it's situated right next to a park that started construction in 1629, a year before Boston was founded. Seems quite historic to me.

I agree. Here's an example of an urban amusement park in Tokyo: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.705...4!1sKk7Ehoj_DsuQ2qUVw58dXQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Note that it's situated right next to a park that started construction in 1629, a year before Boston was founded. Seems quite historic to me.

Metasyntactic -- good find

Here's another historic one -- aerial photo [from balloon] over Tivoli in Copenhagen [circa 1920]

1280px-Spelterini_Tivoli_Copenhagen.jpg

Note the small black dots -- those are people

Also...Carousel, fountain, maze, park, sounds familiar:

Carousel-Location.jpg

The idea of having amusement rides in downtown Boston, especially in close proximity Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market is a good one. That area of Town is essentially what Navy Pier is to Chicago. It is a major tourism destination.

Although, their Ferris Wheel is out on the pier which gives it unobstructed views of the city skyline:

8-incredible-ferris-wheel-views-worth-every-penny

Which I think if you move the Ferris Wheel proposal out to the Greenway to get better views and keep the skating and beer garden at the plaza, then you have a win-win out of the Delaware North proposal.

^^^
That is my point before we start developing stupidity (like carnivals) in city hall open space.
Lets knock down the garages first then focus on how city hall open space should evolve in the future.
Concerning the needs and the wants from the people

Last edited:

^^^
That is my point before we start developing stupidity (like carnivals) in city hall open space.
Lets knock down the garages first then focus on how city hall open space should evolve in the future.
Concerning the needs and the wants from the people

What does the redevelopment of Government Center Garage have to do with stalling the improvements to Government Center Plaza?

What does the redevelopment of Government Center Garage have to do with stalling the improvements to Government Center Plaza?

Open space can be developed anytime. The BRA right now should be focusing on the above garages to be developed at all costs.
Harbor
Congress
Winthrop
I'm sure there are more.
Get rid of the Above garages first then start talking about selling city hall and redeveloping the empty space.

Harbor and Congress are game changers for the city of Boston. I would like to see those developments take on fruition before we start to decide how this open space will be utilized.

But this isn't an either or situation technically aside from the recent difficulties with the harbor garage site both proposals could be developed at the same time. You are creating an issue that doesn't exist. They are focusing on getting the garages redeveloped and getting the plaza redeveloped at the same time. It is pretty simple to work on both of those objectives at once.

Back