City Hall Plaza Revamp | Government Center

Re: Offical City Hall Plaza Proposals

Well, as if to give us an idea of what CHP may look like if these proposals come to fruition, the Big Apple Circus appears to be getting ready to set up.

City%20Hall%20Plaza%201.jpg

If they can turn that ice skating circuit into a lazy river with inner tubes and drinking in the summer then I'm down with this.

Please dont build a ferris wheel in Boston. This is a historic city not a carnival or amusement park. These always look tacky.

Please dont build a ferris wheel in Boston. This is a historic city not a carnival or amusement park. These always look tacky.

Tell that to Vienna (Praterstern). This is not the place for a ferris wheel in Boston though.

Tell that to Vienna (Praterstern). This is not the place for a ferris wheel in Boston though.

or London. I think a ferris wheel could work there, though this one seems too small IMHO.

I'm cool with this proposal, mostly because it'll do something to break up the space. A couple small buildings, daily food trucks, trees, some simple, small water features, a ferris wheel, lighting on city hall, and the new T station will make a world of difference. Maybe not enough of a difference to be the only changes that the city ever makes to this space, but enough for the moment. Urban beach seems silly though. And if there's a big, lit sign, it better say "BOSTON" and not "#BOSTON."

The only thing I don't particularly like about a ferris wheel here is, what are you gonna see? A bit into the front half of Beacon Hill? The tippy top of Old North? And then Center Plaza, City Hall, and bunch of other crap.

that's why it should go taller, absolutely.

Are those fucking campfires?

Part of the issue for me is the renderings. They look like 2nd grade children's art projects. With a serious rendering of how things actually could look season to season, a much larger Ferris Wheel with enclosed gondolas, so that it could offer a better panorama, and much more realistic treatment of the stairs (good-bye see-saws) I might be able to take the proposal more seriously. If they can build over the O'Neill then they can find a way to build over a few defunct subway tunnels.

Blows my mind that people complain about a tall skyscraper downtown and then a fucking ferris wheel is applauded. A fucking ferris wheel...... I know a lot of mass natives move to florida eventually when they get older but were gonna bring Disney to downtown now? Might as well flood the pike and add the Jaws ride there. Lets not half ass it though, lets remake Harvard into Hogwarts and add a bunji jump off the side of the Pru while were at it. Lets not stop there though City Hall can finally be demolished and well put Cinderella's Castle there so people don't have to walk too far to the next attraction. Hell we can throw the Green Monster from Fenway on part time between games instead of Goofy.

This reeks of the kind of gimmicky shit that little Podunk cities used to do in the 70s as weak attempts to help their downtowns compete with all the new malls. Maybe they can throw a glass canopy over it too and we'll have our own awesome version of 4th Street Live! right here in little old Boston.

It's a brave new world Marty, the tables have turned and these days the Ferris wheel would be a better fit for Shopppers World or the Square One Mall. Believe it or not a lot of people (not just kids, grown ups too) want to live, work, shop, mingle, promenade, people watch, eat, drink, dance, sit, stand and mingle right here in Boston (yeah I know, where the heck do they park their cars? I don't get it either...) This space could be a place for them to do many of those things, no gimmicks required.

But yeah there could be a nice little low profile revenue stream available here. Maybe we could even get away with making it cash only?

(And yeah remarkably enough those do look a lot like campfires. Wtf?)

^ Exactly I couldn't even think of how to express it but you nailed it. This is gimmicky type stuff that cities that wish they were even close to what Boston is do to stand out. Why the hell would one of the greatest urban experiences in America need a fucking ferris wheel smack in the middle of downtown. People come here because of the beautifully preserved history that perfectly meshes with the present time. They don't come here to ride ferris wheels and eat cotton candy. If you want to do that there are 1 way tickets out of logan straight to orlando. Lets not fuck up this wonderful thing we have going on up here with some bullshit that some nobody city needs to even get noticed. This city literally could have stopped building in the year 1897 and it still would have been one of the greatest cities in the country. Cut the bullshit......and really were gonna throw up some teepees and campfires too?

The London Eye sits amongst one of the busiest, most historical city centers in the world. And yet there are lines for it morning, noon, and night. Along with Parliament and St Paul's, it has become a much loved - and photographed- part of the skyline. Hundreds of thousands of people PAID to watch fireworks there on New Year's Eve, and it was broadcast on national television. So you there is good chance of being a gimmick, or it can become a new icon.

There is something to be debated about many historical cities turning their cores into glorified amusement parks. Is it a global phenomenon. Is it not enough to be the city you're supposed to be, without the selfie stick set losing their collective shit over franchise outposts of M&Ms world, Ripley's, Madame Tussauds, Disney, etc? Unfortunately it is part of the modern urban tourism experience.

Downtown Boston is one of the most historical 3 miles of America, but you skip half the Freedom Trail (because walking is hard work), instead get your Codzilla on, then ride a diesel belching "Super" Duck around the city, and top it off at the soooo cool IceBar and tshirt from Abercrombie.

To be fair, I do miss the "family bicycles" from a few years ago. Mommy and daddy huff and puff away so Suzy and Bobby don't become orphans en route up State Street. The pile of honking cars, angry taxis immediately behind, people walking into the street, harassment by DTX crazies, and then my favourite moment; getting a red light at the slightest incline at the top of Court Street killing their hard earned momentum. Such FUN! Dear Delaware North...bring those back. :D

There is a long history of urban amusement parks in historic cities the world over.
That is hardly a convincing argument against this particular concept.

The better argument is that this is an ill conceived, lazy attempt to correct Boston's biggest urban renewal blunder, one that has so severely cut-off the North End from the Back Bay for decades that citizens resort to using crosstown parkways to get from point A to point B.

If Boston decided at long last to finally reconnect Hanover Street with Cambridge Street as a part of this concept, I would be the first person in line for that damn Ferris Wheel.

They need to change Tremont to a 2 way and reconnect Hanover above anything.

No argument on the London eye - it's monumental.

But comparing this (and I'm expecting nothing more elaborate here than a rinky dink trailer-based 'portable' ride parked on the plaza for the long term - maybe I'll be proved wrong, we'll see...) to the London eye is like comparing last summer's Building 19 1/2 style astroturf job to Kensington Gardens.

No argument on the London eye - it's monumental.

But comparing this (and I'm expecting nothing more elaborate here than a rinky dink trailer-based 'portable' ride parked on the plaza for the long term - maybe I'll be proved wrong, we'll see...) to the London eye is like comparing last summer's Building 19 1/2 style astroturf job to Kensington Gardens.

I'm not endorsing the proposal, but they clearly have something much grander in mind that what you envision. According to the Globe article, the proposal includes a much more significant structure:
An “iconic” observation wheel, up to 200 feet high and featuring 42 climate-controlled gondolas.

Back