City Hall Plaza Revamp | Government Center

Re: Offical City Hall Plaza Proposals

But this isn't an either or situation technically aside from the recent difficulties with the harbor garage site both proposals could be developed at the same time. You are creating an issue that doesn't exist. They are focusing on getting the garages redeveloped and getting the plaza redeveloped at the same time. It is pretty simple to work on both of those objectives at once.

CityLover -- Exactly -- no one is talking about selling any part of City Hall Plaza -- this a proposal for a seasonal installations as an overlay on what is existing with some minor permanent changes

CityLover -- Exactly -- no one is talking about selling any part of City Hall Plaza -- this a proposal for a seasonal installations as an overlay on what is existing with some minor permanent changes

Yes. City Hall Plaza only gets attention because it is a public space, everyone has an opinion and the existing space is such a world renowned cluster fuck of a poor landscaping design right next to one of the City's most frequented tourist attractions in Quincy Market.

But it is a very small project compared to the area's Billion dollar proposed projects. This isn't holding anything else up within the city. If anything those Billion dollar projects simply need capital investment to get moving not the City's attention.

If we were talking about building another tower at City Hall Plaza or significant retail then sure then they should wait a decade until they get those other projects financed and completed. But so far the plan is ice skating, Ferris wheel, beer garden/cafe with more outdoor seating areas and food truck type vendors, big Boston sign and some trees and park stuff. Nothing that competes with the proposed redeveloment in the area.

Oh hello, what is this?

http://www.bostonherald.com/opinion...were_saying_bring_city_life_back_to_hub_plaza

Windswept City Hall Plaza is about to get a makeover thanks to the owners of TD Garden, which recently won a bid to enhance the barren public space. The improvements are slated to include a Ferris wheel, an “urban beach,” an oversized sign emblazoned with the word Boston, ice skating facilities with “cozy warming huts” and more — including, of course, concession stands.

Delaware North, the owner of TD Garden, has clearly grasped the opportunity to sell sausages, pretzels and fountain drinks in the heart of the city. Bostonians, though, should be asking an important question: Are we missing out on an even greater opportunity? Namely, a chance to finally reverse one of the most prominent excesses of Boston’s disastrous urban renewal policy six decades ago?

(Continues...)

Comment on the article if you can!

I read on I believe on Boston.com an article that said that the lit TD Garden sign out in front of the garden will be repurposed to say Boston and placed at city hall. The garden is getting new signage over the new grand entrance and the old sign will be moved to city hall. It has enough spots already to spell out Boston, not sure what would go on the part of the sign with the TD logo...maybe they'll keep it I'm not sure. Although it would be weird if the sign said TD Boston.

Well have to see how they repurpose this. Also the Bobby Orr statue is being moved to the park in front of the Zakim I believe, I figured it would have been inside the entrance to the Hub on Causeway. Maybe it is a temporary move and will end up there, time will tell.

This sign has history and its cool to see them repurpose it instead of destroying it. I think we can all appreciate that. Not to mention it looks badass when lit and it will be a tourist must have photo with this new sign behind them in pictures when they visit the city. All around win IMO.

4511883775_c5f60c472b_b.jpg

a-sign-outside-the-td-garden-sports-arena-where-the-celtics-and-the-C87PTJ.jpg

The Bobby Orr statue will be moved back to the Hub on Causeway site after completion of construction.

Nothing says Boston like Toronto Dominion!

Well, here we go. Remember that silly cartoon we were talking about a few pages back?

It's gonna happen, allegedly...

TD Garden owners unveil plans for City Hall Plaza
By Dan Adams GLOBE STAFF SEPTEMBER 07, 2016

City Hall Plaza is set to host a skating path, beer garden, and dozens of shopping and food stalls this winter, after the owners of the TD Garden and city officials on Tuesday finalized a three-year contract to breathe new life into the under-used civic space at the core of downtown Boston.

The plan by the Boston Garden Development Corp., a subsidiary of Delaware North Cos., calls for an ice-skating path and 40 to 50 holiday market vendor stalls — temporary shacks dubbed “chalets” — to be installed in the corner of the plaza along Cambridge Street, beginning in late October.

The area would open to the public on the Friday following Thanksgiving and operate until the last week of February, though most of the vendors would close down on December 31 as the holiday shopping season winds down...

DNC_08cityhallplaza02_biz.jpg

Full story: http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...iCNPTYzE3IWApJWVECoN/story.html?event=event25

*sigh*

Well, here we go. Remember that silly cartoon we were talking about a few pages back?

It's gonna happen, allegedly...

Just for one year, though. It's not like this silliness precludes actual fixes.

I'm happy, boston is finally getting a Christmas Market! Hopefully they serve gluhwein.

Just for one year, though. It's not like this silliness precludes actual fixes.

Equilibria -- the story mentioned a 3 year run for the Ice Trail, Holiday Shops & Beer Garden and it also alluded to something like and Urban Beach for the Summer to be announced probably about 6 months from now

I'm happy, boston is finally getting a Christmas Market! Hopefully they serve gluhwein.

At one point there was a Christmas Market in the previously-too-large plaza in front of the Pru. Not sure when that disappeared.

the sooner we bring this nightmare down with 25,000 lb bombs, the better.

Looks good to me. And I think they moved the building back to be on the edge of the terraced steps which is good to not waste the flat area of the plaza.

Only things I might change would be to make the rink part of the ice skating a bit bigger so figure skaters might have a bit of room in the middle. But the scale of the drawing might be a bit off.

Very nice use of the space for the winter and hopefully the weather cooperates enough to make the ice usable for 2 or 3 months in the winter.

here's another Globe update.... i hadn't realized they nixxed the Ferris Wheel and restaurant.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...l-gone-awry/TVyDexXQSqGrTCa7x0UJbL/story.html

Boston Globe said:
What a paradise it was going to be... But now, Delaware North seems to have realized what it should have known all along: Paradise is expensive, its logistics complicated – especially here. So the new plan will go forward without the Ferris wheel, its most ambitious and unique component. Delaware North, the company that owns and runs the TD Garden, says its three-year contract isn’t long enough to justify the cost right now. Further, tunnels beneath the plaza – which have been there all along – could make it structurally unsound. The restaurant that was to be the center of social life on the plaza has also been put on hold, because the site lacks electricity, plumbing, and other utilities.

I'm happy, boston is finally getting a Christmas Market!

is anyone here over 55? i heard there was an incredible Christmas celebration/(expo?) on the Common in the late '60s or early 70s (including Santa's Village and nativity displays). i heard the Expo was a pretty big event - but i can't find any info about it.

F--k the Ferris Wheel---We don't need to relive Revere Beach hay days--in the city.

Actually the Ferris Wheel might have worked in this area. What are the other people's thoughts on the Ferris Wheel:

Ferris Wheel YES OR NO

Last edited:

Back