City Hall Plaza

I've always felt a big part of the problem with the plaza is that there are too many events. The events do nothing to "enliven" the plaza.

It's easy to do a big event in a parking lot, but then the rest of the time it's just a parking lot.

When there's no event at the plaza, it's a barren wasteland. It needs small pleasant areas to spend time in and generate daily activity, not more events.

Worse, the events generally require a few days set-up and clean-up time that turn the area into fences, equipment, trucks, and a general eye-sore. If it's not going to be built on, then at least turn it into a park, landscape it, and plant away. Right now it really is a parking lot.

Truly PATHETIC!!!!!

https://flic.kr/p/uvXSby

My fear is that the people in the building to the left think they have addressed a problem. "Delusional!"

Cynicism!

Yeah, looks at those assholes enjoying themselves. WHO DO THEY THING THEY"RE KIDDING!!!!!111!!!11!11

That's kind of a brilliant, temporary measure. Plop down some chairs. See if people sit in them and make use of the space.

That's kind of a brilliant, temporary measure. Plop down some chairs. See if people sit in them and make use of the space.

Indeed. I'd like to see them go further and just put some turf carpet down under the chairs. Temporary, nothing permanent.

There's a lot they can do during the summer....tables, umbrellas, inflatable pools, bring on the pina coladas.

a summer time beer garden would very likely be an instant hit on City Hall or the Greenway for that matter. Politically, I just don't see anything like this happening any time soon in Boston.

a summer time beer garden would very likely be an instant hit on City Hall or the Greenway for that matter. Politically, I just don't see anything like this happening any time soon in Boston.

This times a thousand. I would love that.

Would be awesome. Popular in Germany where the basements of city halls are often bars - rathskellers in the rathouses. Now if they could just plant a couple of great big Linden and Chestnut trees to drink under.

especially with a mayor that is a recovering alcoholic. I doubt he wants to see a beer garden from his office window. Too bad thought because it is a brilliant idea that would be wildly popular with locals and tourists alike. Add a solid food component so it is not just people drinking. Maybe that will assuage the ant-alcohol folks.

Whoa, I just had an idea. How about a beer garden?

Beer garden would be an interesting idea, but isn't the solution. Even if they copied Slumbrew and erected a tent with some heating to keep it open 10 months a year...

The plaza needs to be changed/redeveloped to make it a place people want to hang out, beer garden, concert or not. A beer garden/tent can be part of this plan but will not improve the whole plaza alone.

Though a giant Oktoberfest (w/ tents and servers, etc.) and festival is needed in Boston. No offense to Harpoon...

For a guy who is a recovering alcoholic, Marty has been pretty gungho about extending bar hours and the like.

Kinda unexpected, actually.

??? Did you not read the posts directly above you?

Sadly, the forum and my strong sarcastic personality don't mix... ironically, just like a beer garden and every idea for open space in Boston in the last 5 years.

Would be awesome. Popular in Germany where the basements of city halls are often bars - rathskellers in the rathouses.

As some folks may recall, it was the intention of Gerhard Kallmann.

Extracted from this page:
18. Although regulations prevented City Hall from featuring a mix of uses, the architects had hoped that a rathskeller might be included in the building’s basement, a feature that is typical of city halls in Europe.​

Now if they could just plant a couple of great big Linden and Chestnut trees to drink under.

Allow the building to be permeable. Cover the brick plinth with ivy and wisteria. And light it up at night.

There have been a couple of half ass attempts at having a few temporary "beer gardens" on city hall plaza that I can recall. One year the phantom gourmet BBQ festival had a beer garden set up in an area over by the JFK Building low rise. Another year they put it up in the open air, mezzanine area of City Hall, above the brick bunker lower section, but below the main concrete structure of city hall.

I haven't been there yet, but from what I've seen in some media reports the "lawn on D" has a tent with picnic tables underneath, maybe a beer garden, maybe not, I'm not sure?

--------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by underground:

Yeah, looks at those assholes enjoying themselves. WHO DO THEY THING THEY"RE KIDDING!!!!!111!!!11!11

---------------

Huh? "Enjoying themselves"?????? :eek:

Did you even LOOK at that picture?

I've seen livelier atmospheres in front of elevators in nursing homes.

Seriously, Underground, when does Lawrence Welk and his Orchestra play the next Boston Calling?

That picture does not say "Good urban planning to enliven a large central space".

No, that picture says "More people need long-term care insurance".

Last edited:
There have been a couple of half ass attempts at having a few temporary "beer gardens" on city hall plaza that I can recall. One year the phantom gourmet BBQ festival had a beer garden set up in an area over by the JFK Building low rise. Another year they put it up in the open air, mezzanine area of City Hall, above the brick bunker lower section, but below the main concrete structure of city hall.

I haven't been there yet, but from what I've seen in some media reports the "lawn on D" has a tent with picnic tables underneath, maybe a beer garden, maybe not, I'm not sure?

Temporary and portable don't have to be tents or cheap structures. I think they could put together a few really nice portable/temporary buildings that could act as 3 season cafes/bars and place them along the edges of the plaza.

Back