City Hall Plaza

Anyone else notice that the Plaza has basically become a parking lot lately?

Yeah, I commute via GC and across the plaza every day. I had this thought a few days ago. Cars, trucks, you name it everywhere and on every level. I don't even know how the cars get to some of the places they have them.

By big name I mean an artist that will play only one or two festivals and will cause people to go to said festival, e.g., Radiohead, Bjork.
But they're clearly going for a younger set. You couple Bjork with Fun. and/or Young the Giant and you're going to get a real dichotomous crowd.

FYI, a construction company called Barletta won the Government Center project today. They do a lot of MBTA work and are capable. Oddly, they were ~25% below the third and fourth place bidders (JF White and Walsh - the other companies I considered capable).

The line-up's tame enough to be a slam dunk ticket sales-wise (a bunch of the bands sold large venues in town this year), while being indie enough to be called indie. Personally, I think that's a good move for a start-up festival trying to prove it's worth and stick around for another year. They can get Ice Age and the full lineup Replacements (RIP Bob) reunion next year.

Last edited:
^ Exactly. As edgy and as they may want to make the lineup be, they have the first year hump to get over before they can really start gambling with who to book.

Gentleman Hall headlines an all archboston related bands lineup next year.

But they're clearly going for a younger set. You couple Bjork with Fun. and/or Young the Giant and you're going to get a real dichotomous crowd.

Wow, do I feel old. I would be on the "Bjork" side of that age split.

So, um, who the hell are "Fun." and "Young the Giant"?

I didn't even realize The National was still around - in 2002, during my indie-rock peak years, my friends and I brought The National to our college for a show. Great show, and we had a hell of a lot of fun getting plastered with those guys after - they stayed at my friends' house.

Now for the old-man ramble: At times like this it seems to me like we're in a period of mild cultural stagnation - indie rock and hipsterism haven't changed much in nearly 15 years. When is the next innovation in music/fashion subculture going to supplant them?

Fun.....skip to 0:50 and I'm positive you'll recognize the hook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv6dMFF_yts

Young the Giant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXKBwkrnEck

And I agree with the cultural stagnation charge. So much cutting-edge indie music these days consists of recreating Revolver-era Beatles sounds or aping '80s dance-pop or Joy Division or whatever -- the internet has given us the ability to look back more than ever before and this is the result. I'd also say hip hop has gotten flabby as well, jazz went stale decades ago, and the only genre that seems to be breaking new ground is the electronic scene, whether you're talking dance-house, dubstep, or the more spacey electronica-type stuff. (Guess what I listen to most these days?)

You know I keep hearing my musician friends say "I wonder when the '90s (aka grunge) revival will start" which implies we're still stuck in a synth-obsessed '80s revival (which we are) and that some blinding light will come along where all of the sudden we go back to two guitars and a drum set . . . I personally don't see that happening, not when everyone in the 18-34 demographic has a laptop capable of creating some pretty awesome beats. Long story not so short, I don't see a way out of this stagnation. Now excuse me while I go get some musical inspiration from Bananarama :rolleyes:

Last edited:
skip to 0:50 and I'm positive you'll recognize the hook

Yep, very familiar .. and yet I had no idea what the name of the song or artist was until now. (Where would I have been hearing this?)

thanks, kz :)

both bands sound absolutely pleasant to listen to.

however, the stagnation point comes up with both.

fun.'s "we are young" (which i had heard a ton of times without ever knowing it was fun.) sounds virtually indistinguishable from, most recently, the killers or mgmt; going back a bit further, bands like the postal service, deathcab, rilo kiley, the shins, or modest mouse were playing pretty similar music 10+ years ago.

ditto for young the giant - they sound like a less-threatening interpol or the strokes. i.e., highly derivative of the early-2000s dark-and-gritty downtown (new york) post-punk revival.

it's definitely time for something new; like you, i don't know if it would necessarily be a grunge revival, but 10-15 years of ossifying indie rock needs to be nudged forward a bit more, somehow.

Other than Franz Ferdinand, and some older Muse I haven't been excited for rock in a longggg time; I'm still rocking Third Eye Blind and the Offspring like its 1999. 2003-2006 was great for hip-hop, pop and electronica, but its been stagnation with a bit of a downhill in most genres since, IMO. My playlist since that time has added a ton of music, but barely any of it is new. After LCD Soundsystem broke up I kind of just gave up and started listening to a ton of old soul, funk, and a whole lotta Peggy Lee. I don't think it bodes well for music in general that I'm turning to stuff over double my age for "fresh and innovative".

Click through for photos of the sad situation.

Clean up City Hall
By Webb Nichols, The Boston Globe

What is happening at Boston City Hall is an embarrassment for which all who love Boston must take responsibility. Like so many familiar things, we sometimes become blind to the reality:

• With the Massachusetts and City of Boston flags fraying in the wind, three grimy flagpoles, scarred by time, stand out in front of City Hall.

• Dusty municipal cars and trucks are parked and scattered randomly on City Hall Plaza, often leaving the main entry looking more like a truck dock than an entry to a major public building.

• In some locations, sections of steel police fencing, remnants of some prior event, still block access to the plaza.

• Three redundant metal signs, placed awkwardly at the base of the lobby wall, greet visitors at the main entry.

• A coated paper handicapped sign, torn with age, is taped to an exterior concrete column opposite the entry.

• The light from a lonely, high-intensity industrial light, fastened on an adjacent wall, attempts to lift the gloom engulfing the entry.

Inside in the lobby, improvised security stations, a portable construction light standing in the corner, and an abandoned reception desk are further examples of insensitivity, apparent indifference, and detachment from the historic nature of Boston City Hall and its plaza.

Forget all the whining about their inappropriateness. Here at the center of one of the most important historic cities in the world, City Hall and its plaza — our symbol of governance and nexus of civic activity — is evidence suggesting deeper issues relating to lack of awareness, respect, and civic pride.

Is this really a matter of spiritual fatigue and indifference on the part of those who occupy City Hall as well as all of us for whom this building should represent our best instincts?

A few changes could make City Hall more welcoming to workers and visitors alike:

• Restrict parking to a designated area adjacent to an entry onto the plaza.

• Place a structure at an edge of the plaza for the storage of barricades.

• Replace the metal signs with an information kiosk in or at the entry to the lobby of the building.

• Redesign the lobby so that it effectively integrates security, reception, and storage.

• To deal with the “gloom” of the exterior and interior spaces, replace the broken and remaining functioning recessed lights with stem-mounted or wall-mounted lights that use the ceiling as a natural reflector. Light can indeed transform the darkness and also one’s spirit.

• To visually activate these newly lighted environments and add energy and enjoyment, place hanging sculptures in the dramatic, eye-catching vertical and horizontal spaces of the building.

• Remove the barricades leading to the upper terrace level and enclose the courtyard to make it a habitable space for both users and visitors.

Architecture is a pitiless window through which one sees the true nature of the times and its people, their values and aspirations, and their commitment to both the past and the future.

Could this current picture of City Hall truly be how we feel about ourselves? All of us who love Boston can do better.

Webb Nichols is an architect who lives in Watertown.

Don't know where to put this so here goes: The Kennedy Federal Building in Govt. Center....when will they be finished doing whatever they're doing to it and get around to restoring the street level area? It seems I was twenty pounds lighter with a full head of dark hair when they started this project and I'd like to think I'll still be alive when it's finished and that end of Govt. Center is spiffed up. BTW it's time to start a thread on the new T stop head house now that the old one has been bulldozed!

It looks like a new restaurant and bar is on its way to the heart of Boston--and it will also be part of a complex that includes a skating rink.

According to a job post within the Craigslist site, The Polar Bar will be opening at City Hall Plaza as part of what appears to be a temporary attraction called Winter's Landing. The post says that the 20,000-square-foot full-service dining and drinking spot will have two floors of space with high ceilings and 360-degree glass walls, and it will overlook a new Olympic-sized skating rink at the plaza called Frozen Harbor. The Polar Bar will be open for brunch, lunch, and dinner seven days a week, with what is being called a "contemporary" menu.

It is not yet known when The Polar Bar might be opening; as soon as we find out more, we will post an update here.

The Facebook page for Winter's Landing can be found at https://www.facebook.com/WintersLanding

http://bostonrestaurants.blogspot.com/

First time I'm hearing this - surprising that this hasn't been more publicized.

Aside from the obvious factors of design, one other reason why City Hall Plaza never quite blends into the urban fabric is because it's always seen as a blank canvas for temporary uses.

I thought the capacity of the plaza deck was 0 lbs. Did they fix that?

Back