Clippership Wharf | East Boston

Beelinme -- nice portfolio of images of what is turning out to be a nice addition to Eastie
Hopefully someone will contribute some art reminiscent or somehow memorializing the Clippership Era -- which is globally synonymous with these piers in Eastie -- just as New Orleans Riverfront is with Steamboats

This is one of my favorite developments in Boston for sure. Coming along great.

Design looks alright for your typical 5+1 wood boxes. Disappointing how dead the area is though. Seems like all the rest of the East Boston waterfront developments..

Design looks alright for your typical 5+1 wood boxes. Disappointing how dead the area is though. Seems like all the rest of the East Boston waterfront developments..

Maybe that will change once all these buildings are built out and occupied, hopefully.

I was around here Saturday evening and I will tell you it is decidedly not dead. The more completed units just to the southeast (which I believe is functionally a carbon copy of this one) have a ton of outdoor green space and places to hang out. Saw numerous groups of people hanging out. It all has a sort of college-campus feel to it in a way. The soccer field next-door was also full with people.

It all has a sort of college-campus feel to it in a way. The soccer field next-door was also full with people.

It looks and feels like Northeastern's West Village-by-the-Sea. Not necessarily a con as West Village is pretty wonderful; however, it begs the question about the high cost/value of the new units constructed here. And, more relevantly, if we place a high value on places designed like Clippership Wharf, then it answers the question of why developers continue to construct more places like this in the first place.

It looks and feels like Northeastern's West Village-by-the-Sea. Not necessarily a con as West Village is pretty wonderful; however, it begs the question about the high cost/value of the new units constructed here. And, more relevantly, if we place a high value on places designed like Clippership Wharf, then it answers the question of why developers continue to construct more places like this in the first place.
Somewhere around half of the units are sitting empty currently, so I wonder if they'll reassess that value soon.

Somewhere around half of the units are sitting empty currently, so I wonder if they'll reassess that value soon.
The value equation is really hard to parse.

Because of the density of the design only a few end units have really nice views. Most units have "peeks".
The new construction is decidedly low grade. You hear everything happening around you in the building (no sign of any attempt at soundproofing).
Neighborhood amenities are still lagging. *

* Observations based on a couple visits to check out units.

That's a surprising figure to me, and not saying that you are wrong, but is that true or is that an anecdotal observation?

Back