Columbus Center: RIP | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Columbus Center

Thanks, InTheHood, for your refreshingly polite thoughts._ Had you caught some earlier posts, though, you might have written otherwise, because the assumptions you bring from other projects don?t apply here, for example:

. . . With respect to the construction costs, there's not a reputable civil engineer in the world who would contend that building a deck over an active highway wouldn't add markedly to project costs.

As always, my point was never with respect to ?construction? cost._ It has always been about total-development-cost._ Even developers who hadn?t pulled the public records fell for the myth of the so-called ?deck premium?._ Yes, adding tunnels adds cost, but in this project, the added tunnels also added a property discount and other savings, which yielded a total-development-cost that is lower than if the same result were accomplished on terra firma._ It is the total-development-cost that is lower, not the construction cost._ (Re-read post #1278 on 21 August 2008.)

. . . you seem to confuse the role of general partners and limited partners . . .

No, not at all; I do understand the different roles of general and limited partners._ But the multiple LLC agreements and the 3,400-page lease are clear:_ the relationship between current owner CalPERS-CUIP-MURC and former owner Winn has neither general partners nor limited partners. _ (Re-read post #746 on 15 April 2008).

. . . You cite cost and revenue projections from years ago as if they came down on stone tablets . . .

No, not at all._ I cited figures that the developers previously swore to, but only to illustrate that, regardless of when in the 13-year cycle they claimed various figures, none of their numbers ever matched up._ I have never argued that the developers? numbers are correct, only that they did not hold up in the scenarios in which they were depicted._ Even the numbers that CalPERS-CUIP-MURC-CWCC swore to just last year ? under pains and penalties of perjury ? did not work.

The owners claimed to have investor funds, bank loans, and public subsidies that never materialized._ In particular, the bank loans were never issued, approved, or even applied for._ The owners depicted high profit in their loan applications but little or no profit in their subsidy applications, which is not possible._ Both portrayals can?t be true.

. . . you don't seem to acknowledge the relationship between risk and return . . . the relationship between returns and both the debt and the tiers of ownership . . .the implications of the market developments of the last 3 years, never mind the last 3 weeks . . .

No, I do recognize all those relationships. _ But none of them change two overarching facts:
? For 13 years, the owners always said they were ?ready to proceed?.
? For 13 years ? even in frothy economies ? every lender turned them down.

Having reviewed the public records, the lenders knew everything that forum members didn?t._ The lenders consistently refused to fund a proposal which some forum members keep cheering as if it were a sports team.

. . . After approval, steel costs went through the roof, the condo market flattened (and subsequently collapsed), other nearby projects were started, debt financing tightened, and the developers started fishing for handouts . . .

You incorrectly assume that subsidies were sought only because of rising costs and changing economies._ But that?s untrue._ From the outset in 1996, the owners? business plan was to propose the project as subsidy-free, get it approved as subsidy-free, and then quietly get subsidies to pay their costs and profits (re-read post #500 on 1 April 2008).

. . . It's perfectly rational to argue that the public shouldn't subsidize CC, but to suggest that the delay is all the result of a big swindle or incompetence by developers who would have earned windfall returns based on the disparate data you've pulled from several different five year old documents ... well, that's silly.

No, it?s not silly at all._ Here?s why. _ The owners wrote their own pro formas, and filed them with city, state, and federal agencies, under pains and penalties of perjury._ It was entirely their own doing that their numbers never matched up ? in any of the 13 years.

The project?s paralysis results from a swindle (using public money to pay for a 100% private project) that citizens discovered, and that elected officials halted._ Had that public subsidy juggernaut succeeded, capital would have been available, banks would have loaned, tunnels and buildings would have been built, private profits would have come in, and the public would have paid for it.

But most of the public subsidy dollars were ultimately denied, suspended, withdrawn, or otherwise not issued._ It is because of the project?s collective capital shortage that:
? lenders will not lend;
? current owners (CalPERS-CUIP-MURC) won?t release their funds;
? former owners (Winn) ran out of cash;
? MTA demanded $294,461,484 in unconditional, irrevocable completion guarantees;
? MTA refused to allow tunnel construction to start; and
? the proposal remains un-built.

. . . the changes you seem to want in the CC proposal all either ADD costs or SUBTRACT revenue . . .

No, they would add no cost at all, and value and revenue would increase, not decrease._ Here?s why._ The MTA policy has always been to charge fair market value for the property, adjusted downward for any extraordinary requirements that get imposed._ So if the 2-acre contiguous public park required by the Turnpike Master Plan were provided, and if the toxic air that the proposed project would vent into its own buildings and the surrounding communities were instead filtered and made safe, then the MTA would subtract such costs from the property cost, leaving the developers with no extra cost, but a safer and more attractive end product._ (Re-read post #935 on 6 May 2008.)

. . . you are new to many of these subjects . . . Spend some time with developers and civil engineers and architects . . . or CARB . . .

No, I?m not new to these topics._ I?ve met with developers, engineers, architects, environmental scientists, physicians, lawyers, and others professionals to test both the information in the public records, and the resulting conclusions._ Unlike some forum members who just log in, read only the latest message, blurt an un-researched opinion, and then leave, I validated each conclusion with knowledgeable people before posting it.

. . . you could be spending your time more wisely to better achieve your goals.

My goal is getting met._ Most forum messages in 2006-2007 were peppered with ?I imagine?, ?I heard?, ?as far as I know?, ?someone told me?, ?probably?, ?usually?, ?it seems?, etcetera._ Since so many members were posting beliefs from other projects instead of facts from this one, I joined and posted what I had already researched, so members could react to information that they hadn?t yet seen._ Some members understand the issues I raise; others insist on disagreeing but refuse to pull the data for themselves, so their arguments continue ? unchanged and uninformed._ But my goal ? hearing forum members? reactions to what the public records show ? is getting met.

The other venues in which I operate are more receptive to what the public records show, and what that data means._ But despite this forum?s frequent name-calling and intermittent profanity (which were predicted the day I joined), some of the reactions here are still well worth collecting.

In January, the future owners (Beal/Related) will announce what conditions they insist upon in order to purchase the proposal from the former owners (Winn) and the current owners (CalPERS-CUIP-MURC)._ Absent some other news in the interim, it seems unlikely that there will be much else to discuss until then.

Why are you wasting your time here? None of us have much clout in the real world. Calling the BRA every day with your facts would be a better use of your time, since they can actually stop the project, unlike us. So changing the opinions of a very small group of people WHO DON'T HAVE ANY POWER OVER THE PROJECT seems to be a huge waste of your time, especially when you can change the opinions of the BRA and neighbors by calling them and staging rallies. Please, find a more receptive group to persaude, preferably one that actually has real power.

Somebody with some time on their hands really ought to put together a list of Ned's contradictions and lies and send it to the Globe, Herald, etc. There's no reason for our papers and local minds to be further polluted with his rhetoric. Perhaps if they know what kind of bullsh-t artist he is, he will stop getting press and maybe, just maybe, he'll shut up and find a way to truly enjoy his life.

DarkFenX said:
In fact CC is a good example. I believe CC when it was first propose was actually taller than it is proposed now but due to community opposition, the building had to shave off a few stories which leads to a smaller revenue.

No. _ Re-read the public records.

The Environmental Notification Form, dated 30 November 2001 (on page 4 of 56), proposed 29 stories. _ The 99-year lease, signed 2 May 2006 (on page 29 of 3,400), is for 35 stories. _ The proposal grew by 6 floors, and by the time the lease was signed, the square footage more than doubled, from 713,000 to 1,490,800.

Community opposition, objections from city staff, and threats from elected officials had no impact, because the development team owned the majority of seats on the review panel. _ The 7 members sitting in seats owned by the developer voted in favor; the 4 democratically nominated members voted in opposition.

SOUTH END PROJECT REVISED
Boston globe
Author(s): Thomas C. Palmer Jr., Globe Staff Date: November 22, 2002 Page: E3 Section: Business
The South End last night got a look at the latest shape of the Columbus Center mixed-use project that has grown several stories taller at the request of community residents.

Developers Roger Cassin and Arthur Winn of Columbus Center Associates unveiled a 35-story hotel and condominium tower, adjacent to a 14-floor residential building and park, to be built over the Massachusetts Turnpike between Clarendon and Berkeley streets. A parking garage framed on three sides by townhouses and apartments would complete the project in its latest proposed form, extending to Arlington Street.

Building on Turnpike air rights but overseen by the Boston Redevelopment Authority, the developers have spent almost two years working with a Community Advisory Council on the shape of the buildings, economic uses, and impacts on adjacent neighborhoods.

In an unforeseen twist, a majority of the community group wanted more height in the tower at the Clarendon end, because it helped allow for lower height and less impact for other parcels.

"Ninety-five percent of the people were pleased with the presentation," said Donovan Walker, who operates the Showdown Youth Development Inc. program, located near the project site. "There are still some people with their own doubts."

Originally planned for only two parcels, the project grew to three several months ago, when the community supported a low-rise parking garage on a third space over the Turnpike. That expansion not only helped scale down the other two buildings but covered up yet another gash through the city, the depressed Turnpike roadway between Berkeley and Arlington streets.

Cassin and Winn pledged to build only as much as they needed to make the project economically feasible, and they have shared their financial analyses with the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, city, and community. The authority is contributing the cost of concrete platforms required to build over an open roadway.

Even in a city renowned for difficult gestation periods for new buildings, Columbus Center stands out. Its draft environmental impact report, presented yesterday, marked the fourth major design or redesign since the proposal - for 38-floor and 33-floor towers - was filed in March 2001.

PROJECT OVER PIKE TO BE LOWER AND WIDER
Boston Globe
Author(s): Thomas C. Palmer Jr., Globe Staff Date: July 9, 2002 Page: D1 Section: Business
Having cleared two big obstacles - a clouded land purchase and protests from neighborhood activists - the developers who plan to build Columbus Center over the turnpike are moving forward this week with a project that's almost as big as they first envisioned.

The profile of the $400 million mixed-use project between the Back Bay and the South End has been reduced, though. Originally, it was to include a 38-story tower; that has been scaled back to 29 floors. And the development would cover not two blocks over the Massachusetts Turnpike, but three, from Arlington Street to Clarendon Street.

Columbus Center Associates plans to formally notify the Boston Redevelopment Authority of the changes on Thursday.

Most of the winnowing down and spreading out of the project was done late last year, after neighborhood groups booed the early plans for a 38-floor tower.

The Citizens Advisory Council was instrumental in persuading the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority to allow the developers to spread the project over three air-rights parcels, not two, and to separate a garage from the heart of the complex.

"I was really pleased with the idea that came out of that whole discussion of relocating parking onto a structure over the highway," the turnpike's chief development officer, Stephen J. Hines, said yesterday. "That really helped make the thing work pretty much from every perspective - and helps make it work financially." But another hurdle appeared this year.

Columbus Center's development partners, Arthur Winn and Roger Cassin, had purchased a small parking lot near the Hard Rock Cafe, to be included in the complex. But a title search found that a portion of that land was owned by John Hancock Financial Services.

Negotiations over the developer's attempt to buy the small lot collapsed this year, and Hancock announced it would sell the piece of land only as part of a package of real estate in the area.

"They finally gave me what I wanted, which was a definitive answer," Cassin said recently. "I would have preferred `yes,' but `no' was second best."

The architects, CBT Childs Bertman Tseckares Inc., are now designing a hotel entrance and parking around Hancock's land, and that is what city and turnpike officials will see on Thursday, when the developers update the plans they had filed. The developers hope to begin work in mid-2003 and finish three years later.

About five years ago, the Turnpike Authority chose Winn and Cassin to develop two parcels over the highway, between Berkeley and Clarendon, along Columbus Avenue.

But the 38-floor hotel, condominiums, and apartment complex they were planning met with immediate opposition. It was just too big, many neighbors said...

Oh wait a minute. I guess I wasn't wrong about CC as a tower and a complex being shrunken in size. The original proposal was for a 38-story and a 33 story tower that, in a second proposal due to public outcry, did one of the tower shrunk in height to 29 stories. Even though Ned said that the tower then grew 6 more floors, it was still 3 floors less than the original proposal and the second tower dropped by 19 floors to 14 stories. So Ned, the holes in your explanations are starting to show up. As hard as it is going to be for you to understand this, but Ned, you were WRONG! Get your fact straight or we will continue to take your posts with little substance.

DarkFenX, you?re excited because you?ve confused at least 8 sources of different numbers over 10 years, including a reporter who made several mistakes in each story because he didn't even fact-check the public records.

■ Exclusivity Agreement (31 January 1997)
■ preliminary description (9 March 2001)
■ Environmental Notification Form #2 (30 November 2001)
■ newspaper story (9 July 2002)
■ Draft Project Impact Report (21 November 2002)
■ newspaper story (22 November 2002)
■ Final Project Impact Report (15 May 2003)
■ Lease (02 May 2006)

If you?re interested, you can watch all the dimensions shrink and expand to your heart?s content in lots of additional documents among the 15,000 pages of public records over 13 years.

But 2 facts remain:

● The data and the sources I reported in post #1474 were 100% accurate.
● From the 1997 initial MTA contract ? for 713,000 s.f. ? to the 2006 MTA lease ? for 1,490,800 s.f., ? the project grew 209%.

In particular, the bank loans were never issued, approved, or even applied for._ The owners depicted high profit in their loan applications but little or no profit in their subsidy applications, which is not possible.

I stopped reading at this point. To post numerous misleading diatribes is one thing, but to contradict yourself in two consecutive sentences....well....it's ironic.

pumpkin.jpg

Mexican, Canadian, and Dutch beer is indeed a volatile combination.

I stopped reading at this point . . . to contradict yourself in two consecutive sentences....well....it's ironic.

There?s no irony, no contradiction, and no need to stop reading._ Just re-read._ (Or, for those who forgot prior posts on this topic, and never pulled the public records, then just read for the first time.)_ In any event . . .

Since you wrote in post #742 on 15 April 2008 that you are employed by an equity investor and do ?dozens of deals a year?, you already know that Columbus Center?s owners sought loans from three kinds of sources:
● private investors;
● commercial banks; and
● public subsidies.

The bank loans that they claimed in their public subsidy applications ? signed under pains and penalties of perjury ? were never issued, approved, or even applied for._ The government loans that they sought through public subsidy programs claimed high profit in the loan applications._ To be clear:_ it was the bank loan applications that never existed, and the government loan applications that claimed high profit._ So there?s no contradiction in what I reported.

There are two great ironies, though.
● The Winn prospectus to the CalPERS-CUIP-MURC organization never produced the California investor equity loans that Winn claimed it did.
● The CalPERS-CUIP-MURC-CWCC proposal to Massachusetts government was found un-finance-able by real-world bankers.

You can talk in circles all you want, but compare your 2 quotes.

The owners claimed to have investor funds, bank loans, and public subsidies that never materialized._ In particular, the bank loans were never issued, approved, or even applied for._ The owners depicted high profit in their loan applications but little or no profit in their subsidy applications, which is not possible._ Both portrayals can?t be true.

There?s no irony, no contradiction, and no need to stop The bank loans that they claimed in their public subsidy applications ? signed under pains and penalties of perjury ? were never issued, approved, or even applied for._ The government loans that they sought through public subsidy programs claimed high profit in the loan applications._ To be clear:_ it was the bank loan applications that never existed, and the government loan applications that claimed high profit._ So there?s no contradiction in what I reported.

You can talk in circles all you want, but compare your 2 quotes.

Glad to!_ Boston?s longest-running urban planning failure does get confusing, especially to everyone who hasn?t pulled 13 years and 15,000 pages of public records on it, but this one?s easily explained:

Columbus Center sought at least 13 types of public subsidies, all of which fall into two broad categories:_ government-subsidized loans repaid within 50 years, and outright give-aways never repaid at all:
? property discounts;
? property tax breaks;
? tax-free bond loans;
? low-interest construction loans;
? luxury housing grants;
? state income tax breaks;
? utility grants;
? work tax credits;
? equipment write-offs;
? wage tax credits;
? energy grants;
? community development tax credits; and
? economic stimulus grants.

On the subsidized loan applications, the developers claimed high profit so they could qualify for money from agencies responsible for lending (and retrieving) government funds._ But on the outright give-away applications, the developers claimed little or no profit so they could qualify for money from agencies responsible for giving away government funds to help the poor.

For the loans, the developers had to appear profitable; for the give-aways, they had to appear poor._ So they did both._ No government agency compared all of their applications side by side, so the bureaucrats never noticed the scam.

This is precisely why government-sponsored projects need public audits of their actual costs, revenues, profits, and subsidies per the Commonwealth?s GAGAS (Generally Accepted Government Accounting Standards).

Most of these subsidy programs are some form of ?anti-poverty? initiative._ The developers correctly dubbed Columbus Center as ?Boston?s answer to Rodeo Drive [Beverly Hills] and Fifth Avenue [New York City]?, but falsely obtaining government anti-poverty funds to build Taj Mahals is criminal.

thread-delivers.jpg

Just when you think it has died a nice quite death, some little speck of information comes out and the whole circle jerk starts all over again.

It would almost be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

"circle jerk". When people start calling a forum thread a circle jerk
Thats like the 91st degree of Fail for said thread.

It takes two to tango. Stop tangoing. Or stop complaining.

I say keep it going -- that way Statler has a reason to post more funny images ;)

[size=+2]MTA Offers Few Answers[/size]
(Boston Courant, 25 October 2008)

MTAOffersFewAnswers.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back