Columbus Center: RIP | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
The city just received RFPs from consultants to do a "Stuart Street area plan" that will be looking at the area north of the turnpike and adjacent to Columbus Center. The goal will be to see what development and redevelopment opportunities exist, and to set guidelines as to what should occur in the future.

I agree that this project is terrific. Capping the freeway is a huge asset that should make everyone's quality of life better. Less cold wind in the winter, less shifting in and out of light for Pike drivers which is safer, less noisy interstate traffic, and an activated streetscape instead of highway overpasses.

I think the new subsidy is a bit dubious, but I do agree that this is the states own creation (lengthy and exhaustive reviews) and for routing an interstate through the heart of the city in the first place.

ADRIAN WALKER
Snow job creation

By Adrian Walker, Globe Columnist | July 10, 2007

As a neighborhood-eating monstrosity in the making, the Columbus Center project in the South End has never lacked opponents.

"A neighborhood -eating monstrosity in the making"

This project the the total opposite, its actually neighborhood creating.

The state has created the gash that is the turnpike, and it keeps subsidizing its users. I think it makes perfect sense for the state to mitigate the impact of its freeway on the city by covering it up. If that helps Columbus Center, all the better, but I don't see this as being much different from the government repaving the roads or planting trees. In fact, it's much more natural for the government to be doing this than to mooch off private developers.

justin

Ron Newman said:
Now that you mention it ... what future development? With some very rare exceptions, this area is built out. Once you cover the Turnpike and fill in a couple empty spaces at the Prudential Center, there's no place to build a new building unless you take an old one down first.
Cover the next stretch of turnpike and build another Columbus Center. There's plenty more.

I just can't believe people in this city sometimes. Boston just keeps shooting itself in the foot. Lack of housing and Nimbys having to much power is what will ultimatly destroy this city. After college I am getting the hell out of here.

As I said in the Seaport thread a while back, it's a lot easier to see when you take your head out of your ass.

we need to get thid right once and for all

justin said:
The state has created the gash that is the turnpike, and it keeps subsidizing its users. I think it makes perfect sense for the state to mitigate the impact of its freeway on the city by covering it up. If that helps Columbus Center, all the better, but I don't see this as being much different from the government repaving the roads or planting trees. In fact, it's much more natural for the government to be doing this than to mooch off private developers.

justin

That 'gash' was there long before there was a Back Bay. The city was built up around the railroad tracks. Latter the turnpike was added.

palindrome said:
I just can't believe people in this city sometimes. Boston just keeps shooting itself in the foot. Lack of housing and Nimbys having to much power is what will ultimatly destroy this city. After college I am getting the hell out of here.

Me, bowesst, the list keeps rising. This is exactly Boston's problem.

^ You can count me in on that list too. I haven't found an apartment yet, but I'm hoping to move to NYC this September.

In this months issue of Boston Globe Magazine, it has section of articles about the upcoming construction in Boston and the big building boom. Anyone read it yet? It is sick...
But anyways there is a part about Columbus Center, and it says groundbreaking is set for late this summer. Is this true cause I haven't seen any other reports of it starting construction that soon except in that article...

^ It was mentioned in a Globe article a couple weeks ago:

State awards $76m in development grants

By Thomas C. Palmer Jr., Globe Staff | June 29, 2007

"This state grant, requested by the city for Columbus Center, is a significant step toward reaching our mutual objective of a groundbreaking this summer," said a spokesman for Columbus Center developers Arthur Winn and Roger Cassin.

ablarc said:
Ron Newman said:
Now that you mention it ... what future development? With some very rare exceptions, this area is built out. Once you cover the Turnpike and fill in a couple empty spaces at the Prudential Center, there's no place to build a new building unless you take an old one down first.
Cover the next stretch of turnpike and build another Columbus Center. There's plenty more.

Good call bra... your on a roll.

palindrome said:

Me too. I can't believe how much power NIMBYs have in Boston. No other city in America comes close. All other cities in America try to encourage development, while in Boston many people try to discourage it, much more per capita than any other city I know of. Also the rediculously long permitting process discourages a lot of projects. But political reform will never come, the city is too set in its ways. Just 11 years ago they didn't let stores open on Sunday. This place may be high-tech, but it's so backwards in terms of laws.

I realize that not letting stores open on Sundays can perhaps seem backwards to people not accustomed to it, but it can benefit small business owners, many of whom really need that one day off a week without worrying about their competition.

I recall Sunday store openings starting a lot earlier than that -- way back to the 1980s or even late 70s, I believe. There were never special rules for Boston; the law was and is statewide.

Before the 1970s it was common for stores to be closed on Sunday in most parts of the US, not just Massachusetts.

nico said:
I realize that not letting stores open on Sundays can perhaps seem backwards to people not accustomed to it, but it can benefit small business owners, many of whom really need that one day off a week without worrying about their competition.

Yeah, my grandparents owned a liquor store and Beverly and got completely screwed when the law changed - they could never leave their store for even a day. The store was pretty big, but they rarely hired any help (other than me on my occassional visits). They retired a few years later, but I doubt everyone was that lucky...

Just think, would you trust your store, with no inventory or shrink tracking, and mostly cash transactions, to a part time employee? You could never go on vacation or have a day off...

That said, I'm glad they passed the law because there have been many a time when I've needed to buy on Sundays

from the July 11 South End News
Issue Date: 7/12/2007, Posted On: 7/11/2007

Columbus Center seeks more public funding
by Linda Rodriguez

Developers of the Columbus Center project have applied for up to $35 million in a tax-exempt bond loan from Boston Industrial Development Financing Authority (BIDFA), an agency of the Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA). A public hearing on the request was held July 11 in the lobby area of BIDFA?s Drydock Avenue office on Wednesday morning.

The request comes on the heels of the controversy kicked up by Gov. Deval Patrick?s decision to award the project developers a $10 million grant. The grant was announced June 28 and was one of 21, totaling $76 million. House Speaker Sal DiMasi and state Rep. Byron Rushing, who both represent the South End, oppose the grant because they said developers promised they would construct the project with private funds. State Sen. Dianne Wilkerson, who represents the South End, championed the grant.

Conducted by Frank Tocci, deputy director for financial services for the BRA, the meeting lasted less than an hour and was attended by only two members of the public, Irena Burns of Arlington Street and Ned Flaherty of the South End, who has been a vocal critic of the project. It addressed an application by Arthur Winn and Roger Cassin, the developers of the air-rights project, for the tax-exempt bonds to go toward building a hotel and restaurant. The Columbus Center, which has been in development for more than a decade, would be built over the Massachusetts Turnpike, parcels 16, 17, 18, and 19, between Clarendon and Tremont streets; the bonds would only be applicable to building the hotel on Parcel 16.

The project is currently expected to cost more than $700 million, according to Alan Eisner, a spokesman for the developers, nearly double the initial cost estimates. The $35 million bond would offset rising construction costs, which Eisner said is behind the Columbus Center?s inflating price tag. However, the savings to the developer as a result of the bond being tax exempt would only be around $5 to $7 million, he said.

Much of the controversy around the Columbus Center and the recent $10 million grant awarded by the state to offset the cost of building a $140 million deck over the Turnpike has had to do with the recollection of residents, activists and politicians that the developers initially claimed that they would build the project without public funds. But Eisner said that the developers never promised to build the project without public assistance. ?What they said was that, this was way back when the price of the project was much, much lower, that they didn?t anticipate seeking any funds at that time, but that they did not rule it out for the future,? Eisner said.

Eisner also said that the developers have received a $2 million community development action grant from the state department of Housing and Community Development, a $20 million MassHousing loan, and the $10 million grant from the state ? in all, ?a very small percentage of a $700 million-plus project.?

The Columbus Center project is eligible for the tax-exempt bonds because of a recent Empowerment Zone designation covering the air rights parcels through the Massachusetts Turnpike. The designation is administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and was created to stimulate business growth and economy in ?distressed communities,? according to HUD?s Web site, by making low-interest loans and tax credits available to businesses within the zones in return for job creation and growth.

The Empowerment Zone in Boston was expanded to include air rights parcels over the Turnpike from Brookline to the Southeast Expressway ? an expanse covering already-developed parcels like the Prudential Center. In addition to being eligible for the low-interest bond, the Columbus Center could also receive tax credits for employees on the company payroll living within the Empowerment Zone and reduced capital gains taxes.

According to Tocci, the hotel and restaurant will create 234 jobs for the community, after the project is built.

Around $130 million was set aside in tax-exempt bonds for Boston-area Empowerment Zone initiatives; the funds must be designated for developers by Dec. 31, 2009, when the $130 million allocation expires. Other projects that have benefited from the Empowerment Zone designation and the tax-exempt bonds include the Crosstown Center in Roxbury and the Fenway Community Health Center. Should the Columbus Center loan be approved, $32 million will remain in the Empowerment Zone allocation.

The bond has already been approved by Boston Connects, Inc., the city nonprofit charged with locally administering the Empowerment Zones. Wednesday?s hearing was mandated by the federal government as part of the bond approval process and represented the public?s opportunity to comment directly to BIDFA about the loan.

The members of the community who attended the meeting raised a few questions about the loan and if BIDFA was aware of the whole financial picture surrounding the Columbus Center?s other applications for public funds or loans. Tocci was unable to answer that question at the time. Most of the other questions raised at the hearing came from members of the media, who outnumbered the area residents.

Following this hearing, the bond will now have to go before the City Council for a hearing before returning to BIDFA for approval, and then to the state?s Development Finance Agency for ultimate approval. The whole process should take 60 to 90 days, said Tocci, and no date has been set for a City Council hearing. Tocci also said that though no interest rate has been established for the bond, it would likely be a half to one percent lower than market rate.

Though there is no timeline yet for the project, Eisner said that, should all the financing come through, the developers hope to begin construction by the end of the summer. Eisner said that as of this point, the developers have already contributed more than $40 million of their own funds to the project and that no investors have pulled funding from the project.

?The developers is working diligently with the city and state and their own investors to try to put a package together that will allow it to begin by the end of the summer,? said Eisner.

from today's Boston Herald
Project could land millions in low-cost financing
By Scott Van Voorhis
Boston Herald Business Reporter
Thursday, July 12, 2007 - Updated: 12:30 AM EST

Hub developer Arthur Winn and his investors, as they look to get the $700 million Columbus Center project into construction, are applying for tens of millions in low-cost government financing.

Winn?s development team is seeking $32 million in tax-exempt bonds from the Boston Industrial Finance Authority. The project qualifies, city officials contend, because it falls inside an ?empowerment zone,? created under a federal program designed to spur economic development.

The proposed bond financing comes atop a $10 million infrastructure grant the Patrick administration is considering giving to the project.

But some say the use of the low-cost government financing is wrong for the Pike air-rights project, which will straddle Boston?s wealthy Back Bay and South End neighborhoods and feature a deluxe condo/hotel tower.

?This is not a poor area. This is not a job-creating economic development project,?argued Shirley Kressel, head of the Alliance of Boston Neighborhoods.

But project boosters contend Columbus Center, which will create hundreds of permanent hotel and other jobs, is deserving of government assistance.

?These low-interest loans will be used to support job training and job creation associated primarily with the hotel portion of the project,? said Alan Eisner, a spokesman for the developer.

Owners to be liable for new Pike tunnel
By Scott Van Voorhis
Boston Herald Business Reporter
Thursday, July 12, 2007 - Updated: 12:30 AM EST

Columbus Center businesses and condo buyers are in for an unpleasant surprise.

After the $700 million-plus air-rights project over the Turnpike is complete, they will be on the hook for maintaining and inspecting key parts of the lengthy new tunnel created underneath, according to a copy of the lease agreement between Columbus Center?s developers and the Turnpike.

The proposed 1.3 million-square-foot development, featuring a deluxe condo and hotel tower, is designed to cover what is now an ugly highway canyon near the Hancock Tower. In doing so, it would create a roughly quarter-mile tunnel underneath its massive highway deck.

And should there be another fatal mishap along the lines of last year?s Big Dig tunnel ceiling collapse, it will be Columbus Center?s residents and tenants who will be on the hook, records show.

This offloading of liability, critics argue, is the wrong direction for the Turnpike amid ongoing questions about the highway authority?s oversight role in last year?s fatal Big Dig tunnel roof collapse.

?My first reaction is I couldn?t possibly be reading this lease correctly,? said Ned Flaherty, a neighborhood activist and Columbus Center opponent who discovered the inspection and liability shift in the project?s lease agreement.

In particular, Columbus Center?s owners and tenants will be responsible for hiring a consultant to inspect and maintain the fireproofing in the tunnel under the project, as well as key supports, said Turnpike spokesman Jon Carlisle.

Meanwhile, Turnpike officials will directly inspect key life safety systems, such as ventilation, he added.

Carlisle said the Turnpike authority learned valuable lessons from last year?s tragedy.

?I think the lessons of July 10, 2006 are still very strong with us, not just for existing tunnels, but tunnels that may be created in the future,? he said.

?The developers is working diligently with the city and state and their own investors to try to put a package together that will allow it to begin by the end of the summer,? said Eisner.

Dios mios this project gives me heartburn...

Every time I truly give up hope on it and write of off as a lost cause, something happens to give me hope, which then leads to more pain and suffering. :roll:

Columbus Center

You guys give NIMBYism too much credit in this specific case.

The handouts from the government is what is bothering some people. Count me in on that. I realize that many projects get money from the state and federal governments - it's just that we don't hear a lot about these cases, or we just don't care.

This project has been over-analyzed to death, we all know that. It would be great if they would just start the damn project.

I have to say, though, that the density of the project is a major concern. Yes, it's on the edge of a commercial area, in the shadow of the Hancock tower, as it were, but it also abuts a real neighborhood. Certainly, neighbors have the right (and the responsibility, mind you) to express their opinions and to try to mitigate any negatives.

Adding hundreds of car trips to the area would have a detrimental effect on abutters. That's why you're seeing everyone try to sell their condos in the Pope Building and at 75 Clarendon Street. Who wants to deal with cabs blaring their horns and creating traffic jams, all day & night.

You can say, "These people live in the city, they should get used to it, or move!" Okay, they're moving.

But, you're talking about creating land and buildings where none exist, today - and where people bought homes and invested their money on the expectation that things would stay the same, at least for the foreseeable future. Moving in across from a loud eight lane highway (the Pike) probably seemed questionable, at the time, but these people did it, anyway.

They didn't expect a 400-foot hotel and hundreds of condos to sprout up across the street (they probably didn't even think it was humanly possible).

So, give them a break.

As someone who lives on Tremont St, I'm used to traffic, noise, and obstructed views (the lovely Atelier 505 is across the street).

It won't matter to me at all what is built at Columbus Center. I'd like it to be developed.

I don't like the idea of government spending money on any private development, it's just my point of view. Yes, I know it happens all the time. Yes, it annoys me every time it does.

I have problems with the size of the project, but will hold my tongue, in the interest of common good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back