Columbus Center: RIP | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Columbus Center

. . . I made the argument clearly after I read the article and I based it off that.

Yes, you made an argument, but no, you never delivered any proof._ All you did was repeat what someone else said.

The article mentions only a notion about an ?extra? cost, but state officials admit that they don?t know the ?basic? cost, don?t know the ?Total Development Cost,? and don?t know the ?extra? cost._ They only know that they decided to subsidize an unidentified percentage, of an unknown total, with $30 million of public dollars, to pay a private profiteer?s costs._ The arithmetic rationale supporting their attempt to subsidize doesn?t exist, and they admit it.

I should have simply posted the above 3 sentences 2 weeks ago, instead of assuming that your frantic, angry messages were sincere.

. . . I enjoy having you make long post . . .

Since you now admit that your efforts are to get other people to waste time writing long replies, you should stop posting here altogether, because that?s not the purpose of this forum, and that kind of behavior doesn?t add anything useful.

. . . your post #1450 did not explain anything nor provide the proof . . .

For 3.5 years I?ve been showing knowledgeable people the public records which prove that Columbus? TDC is less in air than on land._ I?ve also shown people the proof that no data supports any Fenway subsidies._ The state officials who need to understand this already know about it, and didn?t have any trouble understanding it.

You reject arithmetic, don?t influence government officials, don?t approve projects, and post here only to waste other people?s time, so preparing anything else for you would be pointless.

Ned's definitely a lawyer, only they would be unfortunately so nitpicky about the smallest details. It's a public forum, people don't have perfect grammar and memory so don't complain about it, this forum is better than the vast majority anyway.

I wanna know on average how much time it takes you Ned to write your average post. 'Cuz it seems like it takes a while and I just wanna know just how big a loser/crazy you are. Normal ppl don't have time to do this stuff, which just destroys your credibility and your cause. I wonder if you can answer honestly...

Yes, you made an argument, but no, you never delivered any proof._ All you did was repeat what someone else said.

The article mentions only a notion about an ?extra? cost, but state officials admit that they don?t know the ?basic? cost, don?t know the ?Total Development Cost,? and don?t know the ?extra? cost._ They only know that they decided to subsidize an unidentified percentage, of an unknown total, with $30 million of public dollars, to pay a private profiteer?s costs._ The arithmetic rationale supporting their attempt to subsidize doesn?t exist, and they admit it.

I should have simply posted the above 3 sentences 2 weeks ago, instead of assuming that your frantic, angry messages were sincere.

All I said was that the government, i.e. state officials acknowledge that there is an additional cost to building over air rights than over lands even thought they do not know the TDC. In other words, if the Fenway Center was built over land, there will be no additional cost, thus cheaper to be built. What you just said now is and admission to that. And yes I repeated what someone said and that someone is a state official. I'm pretty sure what he says is more accurate than you.

Since you now admit that your efforts are to get other people to waste time writing long replies, you should stop posting here altogether, because that?s not the purpose of this forum, and that kind of behavior doesn?t add anything useful.

No I am pointing out the fact that your excessive focus on grammatical errors is not the purpose of the forum. Why don't you take your own advice and keep you grammar nazi way out of the forum?

For 3.5 years I?ve been showing knowledgeable people the public records which prove that Columbus? TDC is less in air than on land._ I?ve also shown people the proof that no data supports any Fenway subsidies._ The state officials who need to understand this already know about it, and didn?t have any trouble understanding it.

How about you start naming the officials you said you presented to. Like you said way back, don't hide behind fake names and general descriptions. Who are these knowledgeable people? Who are the state officials? And no, you still did not provide an accurate comparison. You said that the public records prove it. Why don't you post the public record here since you have so much time to write long posts?

You reject arithmetic, don?t influence government officials, don?t approve projects, and post here only to waste other people?s time, so preparing anything else for you would be pointless.

Ned, even though you may be able to be quoted in small biased newspapers, you are hardly influential. Don't pretend to be Vivien Li because you are clearly not. I doubt any of the developers listen to the nonsense you talk about because if they did, they would have considered about addressing the pollution. Yet from all the articles, I found barely anything about the UFP poisoning you are talking about and how the developers are going to deal with it. You are a figurehead, nothing more.

And one more thing. You only post in one thread. I've provided construction updates, news update, and information from the on-going expansion from NEU. I'm not here to change Boston. That's what voting is for. I'm not here to lobby like you. This forum is to provide updates and information about projects. You are only able to contribute in one thread. Before you try saying that I have done nothing constructive, why don't you try exploring other threads. You are hardly productive in this forum.

I wanna know on average how much time it takes you Ned to write your average post. 'Cuz it seems like it takes a while and I just wanna know just how big a loser/crazy you are. Normal ppl don't have time to do this stuff, which just destroys your credibility and your cause. . .

So you are unable to do what another person is able to do?_ That does not mean that the other person is a ?loser?, ?crazy?, ?abnormal?, or ?not credible? as you wrote._ Justifying one?s own inadequacies by labeling other people negatively is simply childish.

My goal is only to post previously unknown facts from public records for public discussion, so my ?cause? isn?t ?destroyed? just because you think it?s too much work, or just because I can do it more quickly than you can imagine.

Diligent posting doesn?t destroy credibility nearly as much as hiding behind a cartoon name.

Last edited:

. . . state officials acknowledge that there is an additional cost to building over air rights than over lands even thought they do not know the TDC.

No._ State officials don?t acknowledge any extra cost._ They only imply it._ Those two words mean very different things._ Officials can?t acknowledge extra cost until they can prove it, and they admit that they have no data that proves it._ So all they are able to do is imply it, and hope no one notices.

. . . your excessive focus on grammatical errors is not the purpose of the forum . . .

When you make an error that causes or perpetuates an argument, I do mention it, because that?s the only way for you to see how the argument started, and the only way to resolve the confusion._ I agree with you that grammar is not the purpose of the forum._ That?s why among hundreds of your errors, I mention only the ones that are unavoidable.

How about you start naming the officials you said you presented to . . .

At the city, state, and federal levels, I coordinate with agency staff members, elected officials, and developers._ So that I can continue doing that, I never speak for them, and I never name them; instead, I let them make their own announcements whenever they are ready._ But this forum isn?t about who I speak with or what we say to each other; it?s about discussions of facts from public records about the built environment._ Everything I predicted for Columbus Center is gradually coming true, and is appearing in public records, and is getting reported._ Be patient.

Why don't you post the public record here since you have so much time to write long posts?

Good question._ There are 3 reasons that the public records of Columbus Center are not posted here.

#1:_ Software ? The forum software is designed and configured for a small number of people to make quick posts that contain short comments; it has no features to scan, store, index, and search 14 years worth of public records.

#2:_ Staff ? Even if the forum purchased appropriate software, no forum member is ready, willing and able to manage the 16,000 pages, for an unknown number of years, for an unappreciative audience, for free.

#3:_ Venue ? If the lobbyists, hobbyists, students, brokers, lawyers, architects, laborers, etc. from this forum want all public records on-line, then they need to either get government agencies to do that, or else provide the funding and the staffing to do that themselves._ No other forum member has pulled the records for Columbus Center, or shown any appreciation of the value in doing that, so any such effort would probably be wasted here._ I will continue giving government employees, elected officials, and journalists all the public records that they need._ But I am not willing to undertake such a massive effort for such a small forum where the owner/operator has no software and where the members have no interest.

. . . Ned, even though you may be able to be quoted in small biased newspapers, you are hardly influential.

Untrue._ I contribute to, am quoted in, and/or write for media outlets of all sizes and persuasions, not just a ?small biased? group as you wrote._ The media outlets that have relied on me for information include: Banker & Tradesman, Boston Globe, Boston Herald, South End News, Back Bay Sun, Boston Courant, Fenway News, WFXT-25, WHDH-5, WBZ-4, WBUR-90.9, and others._ But my sphere of influence is really elsewhere; the media just report the results of decisions, not how they get made.

. . . I doubt any of the developers listen to the nonsense you talk about because if they did, they would have considered about addressing the pollution.

Wrong, on all 3 counts._ Firstly, only the development industry still treats the public health risk of exposure to particulate matter as ?nonsense? like you do._ Elsewhere, it?s accepted science._ Secondly, developers listen far more intently than you realize; but they don?t admit it so they can publicly stay in denial as long as possible._ Thirdly, developers have known about particulate matter health risks for years, but they will continue procrastinating as long as the public lets them, because they fear that doing something might reduce profits.

. . . Yet from all the articles, I found barely anything about the UFP poisoning you are talking about and how the developers are going to deal with it . . .

If you aren?t finding information about particulate matter, then you need better search skills, you need better search tools, or you simply aren?t trying hard enough._ At city, state, and federal levels, it is becoming more regulated, not less._ Also, it is becoming more publicized._ Be patient, and you will eventually hear what has happened on this topic; however, so long as you get your news from this forum or from developers (who are always the last to talk about public health risks and mitigation), then you?ll always be the last to find out.

. . . You are a figurehead, nothing more . . .

Forum members don?t know who I talk to, what we say, or what gets decided, and will never know those things, so it is impossible for any forum member to accurately say what impacts I have, or when I have them._ But you should never interpret your lack of knowledge about what I do as proof that nothing is happening.

I post news here only after it?s in public records and only after it?s announced by somebody else, so this forum is the last place for you to find out what?s going on.

But I was the first to notify the media:
. . . that the developer paid the BRA to secretly record the public meetings (2003).
. . . that a project manager had fraudulent deals for many years (2004).
. . . that managers of this ?subsidy-free? proposal were seeking enormous subsidies (2005).
. . . that California bought control of the project 3.5 years ago (2006).
. . . that the claimed bank loans were never issued, approved, or even applied for (2007).
. . . that California never bought the required performance bonds (2008).
. . . that Mass. requires Fenway Center to itemize and mitigate public health risks (2008).

Most of the news I uncover is reported without my name; my name gets mentioned only when I am part of the news, not just for discovering news._ But I am far more involved than just the ?figurehead? that you imagine.

. . . And one more thing. You only post in one thread . . . You are only able to contribute in one thread . . .

Untrue._ You obviously don?t know that I also post in other threads such as International Hotel and Fenway Center._ But you?re distracted by your own illogical assumption that the number of threads someone posts in is somehow important._ It isn?t._ Quantity is unrelated (in either direction) to quality._ Quality stands alone.

. . . I'm not here to lobby like you . . . You are hardly productive in this forum.

Untrue, on both counts._ I am not here to lobby._ I joined when I saw that most forum members were posting incorrect information, and posting lots of rumors, but rarely posting any sources for their assumptions._ I joined only to post new facts from government records for public discussion.

Many members do not like those facts, and a few members do not understand them, and no forum members are willing or able to pull the same public records themselves._ But I have provided the forum with more facts from more public records than anyone else, so if you want to label someone as unproductive, skip me, and start with the BEEARN (Build Everything, Everywhere, All-the-time, Right-away, No-matter-what) cheerleaders.

ONCE AGAIN Mr Ned F. crushing you with waite of the logics!!! IF you are pic=king the CARTOON names you are NOT beeen picking the smart carton like MR WISSARD or maybe TOBYWANTNOWBY. you are the YOGI BAERS or lookinn like theSPONGINGBOBs full of unatural holes for amusement of OTHERS. Score: Mr F. 10, Dumbo helefants 0!!!

Good question._ There are 3 reasons that the public records of Columbus Center are not posted here.

#1:_ Software • The forum software is designed and configured for a small number of people to make quick posts that contain short comments; it has no features to scan, store, index, and search 14 years worth of public records.

#2:_ Staff • Even if the forum purchased appropriate software, no forum member is ready, willing and able to manage the 16,000 pages, for an unknown number of years, for an unappreciative audience, for free.

#3:_ Venue • If the lobbyists, hobbyists, students, brokers, lawyers, architects, laborers, etc. from this forum want all public records on-line, then they need to either get government agencies to do that, or else provide the funding and the staffing to do that themselves._ No other forum member has pulled the records for Columbus Center, or shown any appreciation of the value in doing that, so any such effort would probably be wasted here._ I will continue giving government employees, elected officials, and journalists all the public records that they need._ But I am not willing to undertake such a massive effort for such a small forum where the owner/operator has no software and where the members have no interest.

www.mediafire.com

www.megaupload.com

www.skydrive.live.com

www.rapidshare.com

I'm presuming they are in PDF format, like most public records. Anyway if you are going to post here you might as well show the records, otherwise we will have to presume that most of your claims are unsubstantiated hearsay without the textual proof.

... if you are going to post here you might as well show the records, otherwise we will have to presume that most of your claims are unsubstantiated hearsay without the textual proof.

bbfen likes this.

No._ State officials don?t acknowledge any extra cost._ They only imply it._ Those two words mean very different things._ Officials can?t acknowledge extra cost until they can prove it, and they admit that they have no data that proves it._ So all they are able to do is imply it, and hope no one notices.

If they merely imply, they would not have put forth the 30 million already. Why would they put in 30 million dollars on implication? If they were wrong, they would have wasted 30 million dollars of taxpayer money.

When you make an error that causes or perpetuates an argument, I do mention it, because that?s the only way for you to see how the argument started, and the only way to resolve the confusion._ I agree with you that grammar is not the purpose of the forum._ That?s why among hundreds of your errors, I mention only the ones that are unavoidable.

Sure you do? That makes sense since BostonBred clearly has the best grammar in the forum. You only use it as an argument when you struggle to respond and you don't use it against those who seem to be on your side. Or are you saying what BostonBred's posts belong on the forum. Hmmmmm?

At the city, state, and federal levels, I coordinate with agency staff members, elected officials, and developers._ So that I can continue doing that, I never speak for them, and I never name them; instead, I let them make their own announcements whenever they are ready._ But this forum isn?t about who I speak with or what we say to each other; it?s about discussions of facts from public records about the built environment._ Everything I predicted for Columbus Center is gradually coming true, and is appearing in public records, and is getting reported._ Be patient.

But what have you done that was beneficial to the neighborhood? If you were as "influential" as you say, what benefits have you brought? If your claim that you stopped the CC development, a claim you made a few months ago, was true, not only had you left the canyon as it is, you ended up stopping foundation work mid way through. Your work as caused the mess at the site and now requires money fro mthe Turnpike, money from taxpayers, to clean up the mess. Your "influence" left the site worse today than it was before and much worse had it been built.

Untrue._ I contribute to, am quoted in, and/or write for media outlets of all sizes and persuasions, not just a ?small biased? group as you wrote._ The media outlets that have relied on me for information include: Banker & Tradesman, Boston Globe, Boston Herald, South End News, Back Bay Sun, Boston Courant, Fenway News, WFXT-25, WHDH-5, WBZ-4, WBUR-90.9, and others._ But my sphere of influence is really elsewhere; the media just report the results of decisions, not how they get made.

Most of the reports involved you saying the same exact thing each time, that you are unhappy with the project. I won't be surprised if most people's image of you is that of a cranky old man.

Wrong, on all 3 counts._ Firstly, only the development industry still treats the public health risk of exposure to particulate matter as ?nonsense? like you do._ Elsewhere, it?s accepted science._ Secondly, developers listen far more intently than you realize; but they don?t admit it so they can publicly stay in denial as long as possible._ Thirdly, developers have known about particulate matter health risks for years, but they will continue procrastinating as long as the public lets them, because they fear that doing something might reduce profits.

You must be a fool to think developers listens to a single person like you intently. While they made an effort to recycle ground water, they did not do anything about the UFP pollution, even if they already knew about it. Don't kid yourself.

Most of the news I uncover is reported without my name; my name gets mentioned only when I am part of the news, not just for discovering news._ But I am far more involved than just the ?figurehead? that you imagine.

I'm going to take your stance and say if your name is not mentioned with it, then there's no proof that you did it. I could say the same and you will not be able to find out if it's true or not.

Untrue._ You obviously don?t know that I also post in other threads such as International Hotel and Fenway Center._ But you?re distracted by your own illogical assumption that the number of threads someone posts in is somehow important._ It isn?t._ Quantity is unrelated (in either direction) to quality._ Quality stands alone.

Barely. What you posted in those sites are practically repeats on what you said here about UFP. Good job on the copy and paste.

Many members do not like those facts, and a few members do not understand them, and no forum members are willing or able to pull the same public records themselves._ But I have provided the forum with more facts from more public records than anyone else, so if you want to label someone as unproductive, skip me, and start with the BEEARN (Build Everything, Everywhere, All-the-time, Right-away, No-matter-what) cheerleaders.

Then take your own advice and don't label me as someone who post to waste people's time.

I don't know if anybody listens to WEEI, but Ned reminds me of a caller called Frank from Gloucester. He keeps insane notes in his "WEEI Notebook" and calls the station to say things like "On May 27th, 2006, Michael Holley said the Red Sox.......and you were wrong!"

Ned reminds me of him, referring people to the exact post # from like two years ago, down the very sentence. I appreciate facts and attention to detail as much as the next guy, but Jesus Christ man....time to get out of the basement and get some fresh air and step away from the Internet.

I've never seen anybody who takes what's said on a message board as seriously as this guy does.

My stylistic advice is: go for more "Butchy from the Cape", less of the "Frank from Gloucester".

Reminds me more of Big O and all the other clowns who are actually on the show and think they know more than the entire sporting world put together.... fans, coaches, players the whole lot.

Caller your points are completely off base and wrong because they don't jive with my ideas, and my ideas as we all know are law unquestioned.

Basically what my problem with this thread is. Many people expressing their views, theories, and interpretations about the whole deal as if what they are saying is the unquestionable truth, and there is no argument because "I read about it."

When someone states an opinion, you do not say "No you are wrong and here's why", you say "I disagree and here's why". Why? Because they are opinions and not facts. I think this is what pisses most people off here about your posts Ned. Other than that, they are typically informative. Although saying a bunch of media outlets "relied" on you is a bit egocentric. They used you as a source sure, but there are other sources, such as the meetings and the mountains of pages you have read. They more used you as an unpaid contributor so they didn't have to do the work themselves moreso than they relied on you. That sort of implies they would never have reported any of it without you. Or been as wrong as the rest of us without your talents.

I think I made a similar metaphor before, but just because your read Webster's front to back, you do not know everything there is to know about the English language.

Well most fans actually know about 10% of what they actually think they know. The average sports fans intellect comes from Madden and fantasy sports. I'm a huge sports fan, play Madden, and play fantasy baseball & football, but I don't infuse the three together and think I'm the world's greatest armchair GM and call sports talk with hair-brained ideas. I'm not smarter than Bill Belichick, Theo Epstein, Doc Rivers, etc so I don't call and pretend to be.

The guys behind the mics aren't the end all be all either, but they certainly have vastly more tools at their disposal than an XBox and a TV in which to form their opinions.

Anyways.....I've steered this ship well of course. Back to Ned.....

[size=+2]First phase of Columbus Center cleanup set for September completion[/size]

[size=+1]MTA says trees won?t be replaced on Cortes Street until
?decision has been made about the project?[/size]

South End News ? By Staff Writer Ashley Rigazio ? September 2, 2009

Site-102-Sep-2009.jpg

The Columbus Center site as of Tuesday, Sept. 1.
Photo: Ned Flaherty

The Massachusetts Turnpike Authority (MTA) is spending $100,000 to clean up the site of the delayed Columbus Center development, and officials expect the first phase of safety and aesthetic improvements to be complete by the end of the month. But, don?t expect to see trees lining Cortes Street quite yet.

?The cleanup work should be done in a few weeks,? MTA spokesperson Adam Hurtubise told the South End News. But, he added, ?We?re not going to be replacing the trees until a decision has been made about the project or the parcel.?

Hurtubise did not know when that decision would be made.

Construction on the project?which is largely owned by California investors and has several consultants attached to it?came to a halt in spring 2008, but debris and fencing still lingered, and damage to the area?s greenery, including the destruction of 24 mature trees on Cortes Street, was already done.

The MTA?s six-week cleanup effort aims to level the site, plant grass, and remove chain-link fencing and leftover construction materials. The $100,000 used to clean the area will be paid for upfront by the MTA, which hopes to recover the funds from developers in the future.

Both South End residents and politicians have become increasingly critical of the 14-year-old proposed development, but many are encouraged by the MTA cleanup under way.

Resident Ned Flaherty, a neighbor of the site, has been studying the Columbus Center development since its conception, accumulating 15,000 pages of public records on the complicated proposal.

?It?s nice that someone finally is starting to restore these seven acres,? said Flaherty. While encouraged by the MTA?s work, Flaherty noted that a majority of the restoration has yet to be assigned or scheduled and offered a less-than-enthusiastic prediction.

?The most likely outcome is that either the restoration will never finish, or else Massachusetts taxpayers will have to pay for California?s damage,? said Flaherty.

When contacted by South End News after the MTA said it would move forward with cleanup efforts two weeks ago, Carolyn Spicer, a spokesperson for the development team, had no comment. Efforts to reach the development team for comment on Wednesday were unsuccessful.

On Tuesday, 3rd Suffolk State Representative Aaron Michlewitz gave the MTA credit for taking a first step toward addressing residents? safety and aesthetic concerns.

?I?m very happy the Turnpike has decided to step up to the plate and start some of the reconstruction of the area, especially along Cortes Street,? said Michlewitz, noting that cleanup at the site was one of his ?primary objectives? upon taking office in June.

?It?s a shame that it?s come to this and the developer hasn?t decided to move forward with the reconstruction of the area,? he continued. ?It?s been a blighted area. ? To be stuck in this limbo for such a long time has really been a strain on the community and the people who live around the area.?

Still, local politicians believe proper and timely development of the site can stimulate economic growth and generate tax revenues. Menino commented on the project following a campaign stop at Rosie?s Place on Monday.

?We?re trying to either get it moving or replace all the stuff that was there,? he said. ?We?ve got to get all the players together?the state, the city, the feds. This is a good economic opportunity for us.?

Menino said that the project could possibly be phased in and completed on a smaller scale than originally planned. He added that developers must ?take into consideration the folks who live there and what kind of effect it will have on their quality of life. That?s very important, because they?re coming into their neighborhood. ? There should be minimal obstruction.?

Michlewitz said his beleaguered constituents living in the area are just happy to see any progress. But, he stressed, this is just a first step toward making the Columbus Center site viable.

?My theory has always been that it?s time to start from square one on this development, and it?s time to look at other development to go in there,? said Michlewitz. ?While the community has spent lots of time and energy on this development, it is obviously going nowhere the way it stands right now.?

Site-202-Sep-2009.jpg

Things haven?t turned out quite as developers, neighbors, and local pols had hoped thus far at the Columbus Center site.
Photo: Ned Flaherty

http://www.mysouthend.com/index.php?ch=news&sc=&sc2=news&sc3=&id=95890

Somehow, if a competitive bid does happen like Ned hopes for, I am not very optimistic about it if Menino remains as the mayor. What are the chances it will end up like Hayward Place, with Menino picking a developer he favors and end up doing nothing?

?My theory has always been that it?s time to start from square one on this development, and it?s time to look at other development to go in there,? said Michlewitz.

Sounds like Aaron's on board for building over the Mass Turnpike. Glad to hear it! That makes two state reps. Marty Walz is on record as saying she supports building there, too.

Does anyone admit to being against building there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back