Columbus Center: RIP | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a separate thread about Tai Tung, these posts should be there instead of here.

My commute now takes me over the Pike at Columbus Ave. from Back Bay station & I spotted this.

I have a few citizen's observations to make:

1.) What happens when you call the number?
2.) If I were to call the number, I would observe two things:
a.) The Columbus Center project (in its original incarnation) is still deader than Dracula--a 10-year death anniversary to be soon observed, in fact!
b.) Why has no one taken responsibility for removing this box?
3.) It would be fun to submit a parody development proposal to the BPDA to propose renovating this "observation wells" (whatever that means) box.

IMG_4903.JPG

I spotted that box a few weeks ago too and thought about calling it as well lol.

Countdown to Ecstasy
8. Winthrop Sq
7. Garden Garage
6. Congress Garage
5. Kenmore Sq (everything)
4. SST
3. Harbor Garage
2. Columbus Ctr
1. Copley Tower

Countdown to Ecstasy
8. Winthrop Sq
7. Garden Garage
6. Congress Garage
5. Kenmore Sq (everything)
4. SST
3. Harbor Garage
2. Columbus Ctr
1. Copley Tower

End countdown with... Blast off(!!!) to a new tallest somewhere in the vicinity of North Station. (Hurley? Part of O'Neill? Replace one of the Charles River Park dump apartments? Open lot on the other side of the ramps?)

View attachment 1838
While not a boomer, I have a boomer-like (The Matrix like?) willingness, nay, audacity! to voice-call landlines and talk to whomever answers. :p

I called. (617) 934-1874, which from its exchange is landline in Quincy.

I yelled "I need an exit, fast" but all I got was an automated voice that said "For locksmith, press 1"

Very disappointing.

Yes, Yes, Yes!
Fagan, Becker, Baxter are/were national treasures.
*Bard College schoolmates Fagan, Becker formed a band called the Leather Canary w/ (Chevy) Chase in 1968.

re; DZ/ blastoff??
=1000 Boylston/ Millennium/ Samuels/ Suffolk
return w/ [tall] >750', 800' +VE (it's Boston) spire pushing >950'
+better podium/plaza/public realm.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Marge called Vincent Price and couldn't figure out if he was still dead or alive.

My commute now takes me over the Pike at Columbus Ave. from Back Bay station & I spotted this.

a.) The Columbus Center project (in its original incarnation) is still deader than Dracula--a 10-year death anniversary to be soon observed, in fact!
3.) It would be fun to submit a parody development proposal to the BPDA to propose renovating this "observation wells" (whatever that means) box.

View attachment 1838

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Marge called Vincent Price and couldn't figure out if he was still dead or alive.

Vincent Price's robust pop cultural afterlife is a never-ending source of joy& delight to behold... the Bill Hader Vincent Price SNL skits are great, of course, but there's also this:

View attachment 1838
I could be completely wrong, but I do remember them doing some boring, for whatever reason, when this project was actually moving forward. The most visible evidence of this is still at the SE corner of the intersection of Berkeley and Cortes as an I beam encased in concrete. As far as what would happen if you called the number, I thought that was your job, being the one who brought it up in the first place. Let me know though!

Here's a clever idea for either an MIT Hack or possibly some "Artist's Statement" or both:

1. Find a comprehensive list of all "Major Projects" which have been proposed in the past half Century and which never manifested themselves in "concrete fashion" past something like a "Test Boring"
  2. Create a whole family of such boxes
  3. then plant them in the appropriate places around Boston / Cambridge
  4. Connect them with someone's sacrificial number
  5. Generate [either real-time or recorded] a whole family of responses

The project is coming back.
We shouldn't be having threads locked because someone wishes to remind everyone 4 times each day that everything in the physical world exists thanks to MIT/Cambridge, and all inevitably leads back there....
Even if it's probably true.
Weigh, let it be so stated, implicit to all category of things,
and please, move on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back