Commonwealth Pier Revitalization (née Seaport WTC)| 200 Seaport Boulevard | Seaport

Re: Seaport World Trade Center To be Redeveloped?

I'd prefer that this building remains as is, and perhaps be modified/repurposed/repositioned vs. developed into something that just continues the plateau from the fan pier. I feel like this building retains some of the history of the area. Perhaps something could be done to continue the harbor walk around the WTC.

Also, is any trading really done at the Seaport WTC anymore or is that just a legacy name?

^+1

I like the juxtaposition of the old and new. It also adds character in an otherwise sterile neighborhood (yes I know we are a long way from complete). I also appreciate what it does for the actual "skyline" in the seaport since it is a short structure.

This and the fish pier are two of the only remnants of the old seaport, and I'd like to see them remain as is, if possible. If not, the design needs to blow me away. I love density and height, but I'm reluctant to do so here.

^+1

I like the juxtaposition of the old and new. It also adds character in an otherwise sterile neighborhood (yes I know we are a long way from complete). I also appreciate what it does for the actual "skyline" in the seaport since it is a short structure.

This and the fish pier are two of the only remnants of the old seaport, and I'd like to see them remain as is, if possible. If not, the design needs to blow me away. I love density and height, but I'm reluctant to do so here.

This is a good idea, and I do like the the mid/low-rise format of the seaport, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't enjoy one or two high towers to mix it up a bit.

Lame. A low-midrise would be good here.

The plan calls for a reworked office for Fidelity, a new Seaport Hotel conference and event facilities, 30K SF of additional retail, improved public space and an enhanced Harborwalk. The redevelopment proposal does not call for any new massing, density or height.

“It’ll essentially be the same size,” Aalto said. “We’re not doing a tower.”

It will be interesting to see how they can accomplish all that change of use without changing the massing at all... The mix of uses sounds like it will really benefit the Seaport and Boston even if they keep the massing the same at least to start.

Lame. A low-midrise would be good here.

I don't have a problem with it. A mix of forms is important in the Seaport, and I'm not sure that 2 or 3 more 200' bricks would be any better than this... we've got enough of those coming as it is.

Actually, I'd love for Fidelity to play around with a truly inviting urban campus, regardless of height. They've got a ton of resources, employees, and local history.

If there's a downside to me, it's that Fidelity was the obvious choice to redevelop the USPS property behind its headquarters, but they may not be up for it now.

Re: Seaport World Trade Center Redevelopment | 200 Seaport Boulevard | Seaport

Need to put a tall tower there taller than the Hancock Tower, with an obs deck & skyroom restaurant at the top!!

I'd prefer that this building remains as is, and perhaps be modified/repurposed/repositioned vs. developed into something that just continues the plateau from the fan pier. I feel like this building retains some of the history of the area. Perhaps something could be done to continue the harbor walk around the WTC.

Also, is any trading really done at the Seaport WTC anymore or is that just a legacy name?

This!

I still think of it as Commonwealth Pier. It's the spot where a lot of my family "got off the boat."

I don't have a problem with it. A mix of forms is important in the Seaport, and I'm not sure that 2 or 3 more 200' bricks would be any better than this... we've got enough of those coming as it is.

Actually, I'd love for Fidelity to play around with a truly inviting urban campus, regardless of height. They've got a ton of resources, employees, and local history.

If there's a downside to me, it's that Fidelity was the obvious choice to redevelop the USPS property behind its headquarters, but they may not be up for it now.

I should have clarified. I'd like some mixed/stepping massing here.

Noted already in another thread:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...rt/MefBR1ejZPj6NL28i7OYBP/story.html#comments

The revised office space will be nearly 640,000 square feet, while the amount set aside for shops and restaurants will increase fivefold, to 45,000 square feet. Pembroke has no plans to increase the height of the two- and three-story building. There will also be 56,000 square feet of event space.

Essentially, this is a public plaza and retail project. No more employees than are currently there now.

2947_SWTC_Boston_Boulevard_West_Final_HalfRes_070219.jpg

2947_SWTC_Boston_Boulevard_East_View_Final_HalfRes_070219.jpg

2947_SWTC_Boston_Plaza_View_Final_Halfres_070219.jpg

How ridiculous is it that China built a modern WTC that evokes the twins perfectly, yet NYC built... whatever tf the freedom tower is. Its not a perimeter steel tube tower, but the vertical lines on the glass and the mech floors make it look like the old towers still.

1200px-China_World_Trade_Center_III.jpg

140404-wtc3a.jpg

They even did a great job on the lobby
213041781e7bd43553f75fabd730fa66--beijing-china-patrick-obrian.jpg

514359173_56a3424ba8_b.jpg

Its perfect that Boston gets a fat sideways one too... sigh.

Noted already in another thread:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...rt/MefBR1ejZPj6NL28i7OYBP/story.html#comments

Essentially, this is a public plaza and retail project. No more employees than are currently there now.

2947_SWTC_Boston_Boulevard_West_Final_HalfRes_070219.jpg

2947_SWTC_Boston_Boulevard_East_View_Final_HalfRes_070219.jpg

2947_SWTC_Boston_Plaza_View_Final_Halfres_070219.jpg

Wow that looks real nice.

Among other things it should dignify the boarding process for the various large booze cruise boats - the existing walkway around the WTC is pretty narrow and there's nowhere at all for a crowd of a couple hundred to be while loading or unloading one of the boats...

Damn, that's awesome! Bravo, Fidelity, for converting large spaces of the current WTC into open areas for their employees and the general public as well as improving on the Harbor Walk. This is a huge win for the Seaport, the city, and the public. My only complaint is that it won't be finished till 2024! Four freaking years from start to finish? Jeez!

I'm really glad the existing WTC building along Seaport BLVD is remaining.

Would be great if they can make it similar to Navy Pier (the retail portion of Navy pier)

Back