Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

^^^Agree with Shawn about the design. It's modern enough to be a stand out building on it's own, and the curves in the design relative to the surrounding buildings make it blend in nicely.

Like Shawn I feel like this will get nagged down to an uninspiring box that no one will care about 5 years after it has been built. For this reason I was hoping to dislike the plan and rendering, but so far so good.

I'm interested in seeing some of the question and answer write-ups as well as some of the talk about street level design. I think that's one of the most important parts to a project like this, having a friendly street level. So far, so good though.

Its a beautiful building, much better than I'd of hoped for. Looks nice with the skyline.
SST, 111 huntington, and this are going to give boston 3 beautiful modern buildings from this decade/the beginning of the next decade.

So what exactly is the status of the project? have they formally submitted it for approval yet? How soon could it get approved? How long does a project take to get killed by South End NIMBYs? :p

Seems like everyone here loves it so far

It's too good to be true. Therefore, I have little doubt that it will never be built.

I would love to be proved wrong.

Yes did the knee-jerk-responders go it's too tall as soon as the meeting started? I'm really pulling for this one as it currently is.

I like it. I understand the complaints about the sidewalk, maybe they can get rid of that center median on Dartmouth St and expand the sidewalk. I just hope this, if built, doesn't turn into a dud like a certain prominent condo tower here in NY, of which this design reminds me:

This development will put a lot of pressure on a very teeny street (Dartmouth).

I wouldn't get rid of the median here. It is needed so that pedestrians have a place to wait halfway across while walking to or from Back Bay Station.

What is the issue with the sidewalk?

What a gorgeous, gorgeous building. In my opinion, this is a picture perfect example of when people on this board have said, "I'd sacrifice height for a great design". While this isn't the tallest building, the design is very smooth and graceful. The building's base isn't that great, but not many buildings have good bases these days. Anyone else notice that it seems like the best skyscrapers in Boston are all built in Back Bay? Hancock, Pru (ugly but a classic), and 111...if built as-is, I think this would definitely be one of the best looking scrapers in Boston.

That said, it'll only take a little while longer for the NIMBY storm to arrive and rain on our parade...lets enjoy it while we can!

^ Why would it put a lot of pressure of Dartmouth....the amount of vehicle traffic from these residences will be miniscule in comparison to what Dartmouth already handles. I doubt that the increase in the size of the store and additional shops will significantly increase the absolute number of people driving to the mall (especially via Dartmouth) either.

As far as the sidewalks. In case no one has noticed....there isn't much pedestrian traffic on the the west side of Dartmouth that isn't a) entering the mall, or b) crossing across Dartmouth between BBS and CP. A majority of the pedestrian traffic already uses the east side sidewalks. For comparison sake, I'll make up some numbers and say that the sidewalks on Summer Steet between Otis and Arch are half as wide as this proposal and carry 5 times the pedestrian traffic.

111 Huntington, like this proposal, is not terribly tall, but still turned out to be a beautiful building and seems to be universally applauded. If that got built to spec, in relatively the same vicinity (and not that long ago)...then maybe there's actually hope for this building. Why can't people see the benefits of buildings like this and CC? So short-sighted. Down with NIMBYs...up with BIMBYs!

An extruded Alvar Aalto vase, sitting on a cheap card table.

The base is fixable. A shame what the "natives" are gonna do to the rest of it...

This is awesome. This far exceeds my expectations. If this project does not get builit, I will be really disappointed.

Don't have time to give the full rundown on the meeting yet, but the only person who voiced a concern over the height of it was, predictably, NABB's president.

A few others asked about shadows on Copley Square (none from April to September), The Commonwealth Ave Mall (in winter it would graze over it yes) and the Public Library's courtyard (none).

Oh, and Shirley Kressel was there. She made herself known..

The winter Garden should more than make up for any shadows cast on nearby plazas, parks, or courtyards...which by the way don't receive the same pedestrian traffic as they do in the summer months anyway!

It would probably get more traffic in the winter months (hence the name "winter garden") than the other places currently get during those same months.

^^ That vase has been updated, thanks to global warming of all things.

You two are too funny!

Street level is going to need alot of work to get rid of the "Fort Apache" mentality of the original.

The concern of height and/or shadows would only be valid, IMO, if this was the tallest building in the area, and even given that, it's still a stupid argument. The fact that it would be positioned between the city's two tallest, the concerns are completely ridiculous.
As far as the design, it's nice, not a box and stands out, but doesn't say "Hey, look at me."
I really hope that it gets built, as is, not after compromising to appease neighborhood associations.
On a side note, this, the Clarendon, CC, and if the 30 story tower on the Pru gets built, this will be a great, dense skyline!

I like the winter garden ideas that were proposed. It is nice now, but in February no buddy strolls casually around. This seems like it provides that ability in fridged february.

I love that building too. Great curves and a unique top. I walked the South Boston shore on Dorchester bay last weekend and it has great views of the BAck Bay skyline. This building would look amazing there.

Don't have time to give the full rundown on the meeting yet, but the only person who voiced a concern over the height of it was, predictably, NABB's president.

A few others asked about shadows on Copley Square (none from April to September), The Commonwealth Ave Mall (in winter it would graze over it yes) and the Public Library's courtyard (none).

Oh, and Shirley Kressel was there. She made herself known..

What did she say or do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back