Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

^^ most buildings like this look kind of silvery grey in the renderings...once they get in reallife and the glass starts reflecting the sky and the sunlight and all that shit, it will probably be bluer.
For example, this is a preview of SST:
boston02.jpg

Isn't that an older design of the building?

O. I couldn't tell from that angle...thought it looked weird. anyway, same point :p

Edit: Ron: no, if that were me i'd be doing somthing immature related to the tower probably :p

I just want to add a few things from my notes to what KZ said regarding what was said at the meeting. I'm not too familiar with names of people (such as commentators) so bear with me.

During the presentation, Elkus talked about the building form and use of glass, stating that the top floors of the tower will have a smaller footprint than that of the Custom House Tower. The tower is designed to diminish its impact, and combined with its curvature and glass facade will create variable light/shadow conditions, further minimizing its impact (i.e. shadows).

The developer talked about the complexity of the site, particularly the ramp, which rises six feet above the relative street level, and he talked about how the streets nearby had to be raised up to meet the ramp (and you can see how this was done, but I missed this part). On the Stuart St. side, while having glass on three floors (2 restaurants, 3rd floor retail), the sidewalk is pretty dead. Only at the end did someone ask about fixing the ramp merger to make more pedestrian friendly. Developer just said they were still trying to resolve issues with the Stuart St. side and the ramp (but clearly from previous discussions it was implied there isn't much they can do).

Byron Rushing, besides sauntering in late and shilling for votes, wanted a PruPac type committee to control and look at the entire complex, not just what was proposed (and I assume have more control).

A lady I believe now was Shirley Kessel (I don't know these characters though, just going off of KZ), got into a long argument with the developer over the plaza and replacement winter garden, whether either is or will be public open space (developer kept saying "yes" but in a completely different sense than what she wanted). Developer stated that the existing plaza is not public open space by any agreement.

Lots of concern over process for approval, whether city zoning and Turnpike authority will be used to protect the development from lawsuits like Columbus Center. Repeated questions about forgoing public funds; developer hedges at first but finally says a definite "no," at which point several people got excited and said "We got witnesses!"

Someone from the CaC spoke near the end and said the project wasn't needed at all. He was clearly using the developers strategy against them (that NM needs to expand to be economically viable, and for Simon to expand the site they need the tower for it to be economically viable for Simon.). Why can't you expand NM without a tower? (about 5-6 clapped at this). Several questions of low income housing aspect; seemed to be general support for it to be on-site.

Someone asked about public art in the winter garden. Developer punted, basically said "this is a commercial interest" (iow, "no").

Lot of Dartmouth St. issues, about sidewalks, set backs, benches, etc. But at the beginning the developer talked about narrowing the intersection at Dartmouth and Stuart and increasing the sidewalk width 30 feet (which doesn't make sense) Did anyone else figure this part?

NABB president flat out said it was too tall, as noted. However, she also said that a study must be done on shadow impacts on BB and South End, on EVERY window in the neighborhoods, even if for just 1 hour (something to the effect of "it's important to each owner whether they are impacted).

KZ got everything else I have.

God damn reverse vampires living in the Back Bay.

I really have no idea why these people latch on to this one argument. On a hot day the shadows cast by buildings make walking in the city a bit more bearable. Hell, half the buildings in the Back Bay and South End have trees next to them which shade the light. A shadow falling on the tree will have NO IMPACT!!!

What next, are these people going to demand developers start paying for a device that stops the earth from spinning so there is always light and no darkness?

[Van excuses himself as he goes away to blow off steam]

I really have no idea why these people latch on to this one argument. On a hot day the shadows cast by buildings make walking in the city a bit more bearable.
That's right, they're just as grateful for the shade as you are. But they've heard these theories...

The theories will survive; the personal observations that contradict them will be molded to fit.

The theories are immortal; reality is mutable.

NABB president flat out said it was too tall, as noted. However, she also said that a study must be done on shadow impacts on BB and South End, on EVERY window in the neighborhoods, even if for just 1 hour (something to the effect of "it's important to each owner whether they are impacted).

This is simply amazing to me! Only in Boston could a person in her position, and with a straight face, make such an idiotic statement in front a crowd of people who include many educated, urbane, professional people and, not only not get laughed out of the room, but taken seriously. It's simply beyond belief that she could actually make that sort of suggestion.

Someone tell her to sit down because her body is casting a shadow on you.

dat rite der iz gonna b lookenq hot

But at the beginning the developer talked about narrowing the intersection at Dartmouth and Stuart and increasing the sidewalk width 30 feet (which doesn't make sense) Did anyone else figure this part?

As Ahhnold would say -- negative. I've given the site plan a couple of look-overs now trying to find where the 30 foot width is, and besides the area right in front of the winter garden doors I'm just not seeing it.

I am sick of repeatedly writing how ridiculuous, powerless, and useless Shirley Kressel and her minions are, so I am just going to bask in the fact that since they continue to use the same predictable dumbfounded arguments regarding height and affordable housing that the powers that be will simply ignore them going forward. And I have damn good feeling that it begins now.

Furthermore, Shirley "You can't be serious" Kressel and her followers should provide full personal asset statements everytime they demand that affordable housing be included.

What's wrong with having an affordable housing quota or set-aside?

Affordable housing quotas do more to slow development and reduce the actual amount of affordable housing than they create. It's a result of populist politics attempting to legislate something that only can be created by market forces, and ironically pressuring those same market forces to achieve the exact opposite of the desired result.

Fewer units built overall = less competition between developers for customers = more competition between buyers = higher prices

More units built overall = more competition between developers for customers = less competition between buyers = lower prices

The relatively unregulated cities like Houston have lots of development and are affordable. However, they are also planning nightmares. Cities need to leave the economic side alone and focus on more on general design guidelines.

The Copley tower design looks to off to a good start. If the city doesn't meddle with the financial aspect of the design, and instead works on the refinement of the projects interaction with its context, it will be fine.

What's wrong with having an affordable housing quota or set-aside?

What's wrong, is this case, is that well-to-do yet powerless NIMBYs are using the argument of afordable housing as an addional mechanism to stop development. They couldn't care less about affordable housing. I would like to know how much "affordable" housing exists in Shirley's building. If there turns out be none, how would she feel if someone who lives a few streets away tells her that the city must now convert a few units in her building to affordable housing?

Is Shirley a landlord or developer? I don't follow the logic here.

The quotas seem like a reasonable way to assure that non-rich people can continue to live in Boston neighborhoods. I doubt that a quota will prevent this development.

I think the way to allow the non-rich to live here is to build more housing units. Boston has always been slow on growth. Allow developers to build without fighting tooth and nail would help lower the cost associated with housing in Boston. If you build it, they will come.

If you build it, they will come.

If that's true, demand will keep up with supply and the prices won't drop. You've just disproved your point.

There are plenty of neigborhoods in Boston for the non-rich to live. If the non-rich really want to live in Back Bay or the South End, maybe they should work a little harder, but placing indigent families in high end development is not the way to accomodate them. Besides, most people of means would have no interest in living in the same building that houses the poor.

Why should "people of means" know or care about how much income their neighbors receive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back