Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
kmp1284 said:
Has there been any update on this? I was in brooks brothers today and my salesman was talking about this as if imminent. According to him, it sounded as if things were pretty thorough, 11k square foot expansion on neiman marcus, 50 floors, condos, other retail facilities, some hotel rooms.

I was actually at the Harvard Club and I heard the same thing from the bathroom attendant. Unfortunately I couldn't get rez at Dorsia's... GREAT sea urchin ceviche.

Emporis shows conflicting pictures of which tower is which so I can't figure out what it's name is.

That's actually my fault. I'd change it if I knew which was actually which.

kmp1284 said:
Has there been any update on this? I was in brooks brothers today and my salesman was talking about this as if imminent. According to him, it sounded as if things were pretty thorough, 11k square foot expansion on neiman marcus, 50 floors, condos, other retail facilities, some hotel rooms.

i was hoping that brooks brothers would go out of business and get replaced by a sears. Cant find a cheap rake anywhere in the backbay///too many stuffy twerps buying suits in my opinion. perhaps they could all move to nyc.

Hmmm ...

Well la di da.

I didn't hear nothing while I was in Marshall's and Filene's Basement.

lndscpr said:
kmp1284 said:

i was hoping that brooks brothers would go out of business and get replaced by a sears. Cant find a cheap rake anywhere in the backbay///too many stuffy twerps buying suits in my opinion. perhaps they could all move to nyc.

I'm not going to lie. That made me LOL. :D

haha... hey, we can't carry one thread into another, but i still have to admit that's funny. 50 stories sounds good. why not?

Builder?s eye on the skies
Copley Place tower weighed
By Scott Van Voorhis
Thursday, September 6, 2007

A new tower that would soar over Back Bay?s Copley Place mall is under consideration by the retail complex?s owner, local officials and an executive familiar with the planning said.

Simon Property Group, which is working with local project manager RF Walsh Project Management, is weighing options for redeveloping the Neiman Marcus site at the corner of Stuart and Dartmouth streets, officials said.

The tower, according to one concept under review, would soar into the 45- to 49-story range, said state Rep. Marty Walz (D-Back Bay). The proposal calls for condos and retail stores, including a redeveloped and expanded Neiman Marcus.

A spokesman for the project would not comment on the details.

While no plans have been filed yet with City Hall, any tower approaching 50 stories would likely be hotly debated in the neighborhood. Such a tower would rival the neighborhood?s twin pillars, the Hancock Tower and the Prudential.

The tower also comes with a number of other high-rise proposals pending. A city-appointed panel that oversees development of the Prudential Center was scheduled to meet last night to discuss two new towers at the Pru campus, an office high-rise on Boylston Street and a residential tower around the corner on Exeter.

Berklee College of Music, meanwhile, is weighing plans for a high-rise dorm in the neighborhood.

The Clarendon, a new luxury condo and apartment tower, is under construction a short walk from Copley Place in one direction and the posh new Mandarin Oriental condo and hotel tower, nearing completion itself, is in the other.

?You can?t look at all these things individually as if they were in a vacuum,? Walz said. ?It?s very clear there is a sudden spurt of activity in this part of the city that needs to be thought through in a broader context than just project by project.?

Link

New archBoston drinking game: Every time Scott Van Voorhis says "soar", take 1 shot.

Stories like this are fuel for NIMBY's. A condo/residential will be slightly taller than the Marriott and Weston.

It is in no way going to 'rival the neighborhood?s twin pillars, the Hancock Tower and the Prudential'. This is an irresponsible comparison and Scott should know his comments are inaccurate.

Isn't the Pru 52 stories? A 49-story building would seem to 'rival' it, though falling slightly short.

In general, residential buildings require less headroom than office towers. At 750', the Pru's average height per floor is about 14.4'. A residential building may be only 9-10'. That would put this proposed tower at 440-500', about 300' lower than its much bigger neighbors. Consider too that the floor-plates will likely be quite a bit smaller, given the overall size of the site.

Last edited:
Scotty's use of the word "Soar" reminds me of movie "Team America: World Police" when the one of the actors keeps on saying "the evil corporations are all corporationny and they're..corporations".

Aside from that, it would be great to see a tower soar to soaring heights of soardom in this area...I don't see why there would be much resistance considering it's proximity to the Pru.

Also, I didn't realize that the Clarendon was under construction already...is this true? Or is it as accurate as him calling the Mandarin Oriental a tower?

Yeah, whatever is built there will probably just sit there, not soar.

Yes

Define "under construction".

Yes, The Clarendon is project is underway. No beams yet, though.

I cant wait until someone says that a new building next to the pru does not fit the context of the area.

Also

"Simon Property Group, which is working with local project manager RF Walsh Project Management, is weighing options for redeveloping the Neiman Marcus site at the corner of Stuart and Dartmouth streets, officials said. "

I thought it was just remade?

I don't think Neiman Marcus has been updated in a while. Saks on the other hand was being renovated last time I was in that part of Boston but it's probably complete by now(recent pics anyone?)

Barneys was just redone a year ago, but I don't know anything about Nieman Marcus.

And Saks has had virtually nothing happen to its facade for a year now. It's still missing brick on a column or two and nothing else.

Barney's replaced the Copley Place Cinemas. Saks is not part of Copley Place; it's part of the Prudential.

You may be thinking of Lord and Taylor (on Boylston) that just finished a significant interior/exterior renovation... I don't think Neiman Marcus has done much work. Saks is either done or very close to done with its interior work but as previously mentioned the exterior work doesn't appear to be moving so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back